continuing "a model of a soldier" : major updates

Started by ray mysertio, December 14, 2007, 06:28:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zedblade

Quote from: Overstatement on December 15, 2007, 11:49:23 AM
I wonder if goodkebab ever did this kind of thing when he started learning.

NO, Goodkebab was born with a copy of maya 1 in his little hands. I know, I was there.

goodkebab

Quote from: Overstatement on December 15, 2007, 11:49:23 AM
I wonder if goodkebab ever did this kind of thing when he started learning.

i started learning maya in 2000,  at version 3  (4 was just released)

I fucked around with cinema 4d,  zbrush,  lightwave, and max for awhile but Maya stuck because of the use of marking menus speeding things up for me.

I was painting and drawing for several years before that....the result was that I was more critical of the work I did.  I never posted in public forums my work...until now that is.

B1nArY_001

Everything I did early on is forever lost due to me learning the always backup your shit lesson the hard way. Good thing too, it was horrid  :-\

MR.Mic

Quote from: B1nArY_001 on December 15, 2007, 03:04:52 PM
Everything I did early on is forever lost due to me learning the always backup your shit lesson the hard way. Good thing too, it was horrid  :-\

I actually still have crap I saved when I was first learning MAX. It was very ugly indeed.
[size=2]Lead Visual Effects Artist - Advanced Materials, Particles, and Post-Process Effects
Website: http://studentpages.scad.edu/~ctripp20/index.htm][/size]

Bionic-Blob

ray mysertio

i ended up deleting alot but i saved some work i did , i used to like concept 3d art , also 3d for still images . i wasnt very accurate or clean in my modeling but in the end i knew some max and some photoshop and was able to make something cool looking , at least to me

the ak i made justa  while ago was very clean and well made , i am happy with the fact i can model weapons up there with great amateurs maybe even some pros , i know i always say im good but in all truth weapons were the first models i ever made and i made tons of them , including remaking the same model to make it better .

references are sooo important , need to see everything you are going to model in hopefully a couple views at least ... google images are usually good but sometimes you just cant find something .

[EDIT] got a front view for proportionality if anyone can help cuz i dono wtf is goin on now lol . im not used to modeling this much anymore .

Tell ppl to fuck off over the net, just expect them to want to fight you until they can.

Tidenburg

If thats a vest then it should be tighter and you should be able to see the form of his stomach instead of him just being a cuboid. If its like a military armor vest then it should still be tigher. Yet again, his legs have no form.

ray mysertio

hmm somehow proportion checks = crits ? think you need to think a little harder man .
Tell ppl to fuck off over the net, just expect them to want to fight you until they can.

Tidenburg

Well seeing as it is on a public board I think I have a right, if something makes my eyes bleed, to complain. IF I had said "the legs are too short" then would that not also be a criticism?

If you want proportions then there are looaadds of articles on the net about the golden ratios which help you figure out how long someones arm will be based on the length of their fingers etc :D You should be able to notice if something is off just by looking at it because you see humans everyday. Unless you actually live in your room on the pc all day then I see why you'd post it.

Also, stop being offended by criticisms its by far you biggest flaw when you try to make yourself look big when someone knocks you down a few pegs. No doubt you will respond with another pointless insult to this post as well.

ray mysertio

thanks , i wasnt offended it is a flaw it just kinda pissed me off a bit cuz im in proportion check mode  , sorry for nippin at ya .

welli look at humans everyday but i see digital art in alot of ways and sometimes i really cant even tell , there are disprroportional people all over the city , takes all kinda ya know .

goodkebab

proportions are not really the problem.

Lacking definition and character is the problem.   Its most obvious because you cannot get this with flat shaded real time meshes.

If I show you my low poly characters without textures,  they would also look quite boring.

At this stage your concern should be profile only (imagine character as a black silhouette) and proper edge flow.  Which still quite dull right now, but that is from the design itself and the fact that you want to show something should look real.

Character has to have interesting shapes -from the shape of his body,  and the equipment he is wearing.  Right now thinks still look like cylinders stitched together.

ray mysertio

without going into deep detail i am really only concerned with the arms at this point the vest will be blocky as it is because alot of normals mapping will go into it and thats the way it looks in real life anyways , its a fairly blocky vest . on second thought if you mean the sharpeness of edge details then yes i will finalize that when i optimize more .

the jeans ... long story short , havent even been dealt with besides making them not boxes ... i left the style cuz i like it and where im from we slit the sides or our jeans or wear boot cuts and they rest over the neck of the boot . ill probly do a little something to make them less "MC Hammer" lol .

btw i am starting to realize that you guys dont even know that this isnt a war simulation as in the governemtns military is fighting another' ... these guys went AWOL so they look and dress however the fuck they want .

expect tattoo's later in the skin and shaggy goatee's like snowbaorders and all that shit . this is just the tip of the iceberg , me finding out how to make the best quality model i am capable of .

that tribal square loop is one of my favorites , any of you UK guys might recognize the celtic irish style .

Gui Brazil

This is also another problem. You're worrying (and also starting) on details of the final texture when you yet haven't finished the high poly mesh nor the base mesh.

Farley4Fan

Yeah you'll have to remove the mickey mouse hands and give him lips before you can give him a tattoo.