Main Menu

Lagoon

Started by Farley4Fan, February 17, 2008, 09:56:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farley4Fan

New map idea.  Sketchup design shots coming soon!

Lagoon

Description:

Location: On the Brazilian coastline about 20 miles from the nearest city Belem.
Time of Day: 1:38 A.M.
Date:  March 23rd, 2013

Lagoon is a completely original SvM map.  As you can probably tell by the name it is set in a lagoon area.  A lot of the map is covered with shallow water and small islands in between them.  It has some pretty rocky areas the prevent players from going certain places and they split paths.

The mercenaries have been hired to defend a radio and relay center from possible attackers.  They have set up a defensive base, about 100 yards away from the radio center, near a lagoon to prevent possible attackers from docking there.  The mercenaries have taken advantage of small huts and a tower to strengthen their base.

The spies have been deployed via submarine and have swam ashore to a safe area behind some tall mountainous rocks about 120 yards away from their objectives.  Their objective is to knock out any threat from the mercenaries that occupy the area and gain any knowledge possible about the mercenaries defending the station and the drug dealers that hired them.  Secondary objectives include disrupting radio communications to handicap the dealer's abilities to communicate outside of the radio base.

The map includes a few small wooden huts on stilts because they are near water.  A communications tower overlooking a small portion of the lagoon.  This tower has a laptop on the second level where spies can upload a virus. (it's basically hacking as we have it now, but it works the opposite way.  Still takes 10-12 seconds to complete).  The mercs can use this tower as a vantage point but at times it would be a bad idea because it's a lot of stairs to go down/up.   It includes other things that I'll list below.

- Spies spawn in a rocky cliff area.  Below the cliff is 2-3 ft high water which slows anyone down that walks into it.  It is a good penalization for any merc attempting to get close to the spy's spawn point.  There are underground sea caves that go underneath the water and exit near the center of the map, they are only accessible to spies.  This will be illustrated in the pics I post later on.

- Mercs spawn in their own little area surrounded by cliffs.  They have stairs that go down in different directions so they can enter the playing field in a few different angles.  Again, this will also be illustrated later on.

- There is a hill in the center of the map with a zipline leading to between two huts with objectives inside of them.  Beside this zipline is a generator which powers the small hanging lights on this map.  If the spies are able to hack into this, they are rewarded with a much darker playing field.  The mercs have to cross water to get to this hill.  Water slows them down btw.

- The aforementioned huts are about 50 yards away from eachother and have jagged rocks between them that the spies can use for cover.  The map is littered with these stray jagged rocks and they would prove useful tools for the spies to time movements to get across the map.  In one of the huts there is an objective. You can enter it from below, since it is on stilts, through a passageway.  In the other hut, you can place a bomb to destroy the one of the merc's ammunition caches.  You can place the bomb on one of the stilts, or at one of the two places inside the hut. 

- Behind those huts are jagged mountainous rocks that block the map off in many places.  Behind those jagged rocks are two objectives.  One is a disc, the other is a laptop.

- The barriers of the map are the jagged mountains, of course, and the ocean.  When the ocean gets too deep you can't go any further, too deep is about 4-5 feet high.  The deeper the water gets the slower you'll go.

NOTE that you I'll post the layout tomorrow so you guys can get a real idea of what I'm talking about here.  Hopefully the theme has peeked all of your interests to the point where you can't wait for the drawings.   ;D

Cyntrox

Is the move-slower-in-water-thing even doable though..?

neth

Why in the presentation forum ?

Cyntrox

Quote from: DescriptionHere non-devs can post artwork for constructive criticism.

Farley4Fan

Well, I'm going to present later.  So, it's a presentation.

Tidenburg

Cyntrox, I'd guess so, in gears of war (made on UE) when you hit water splashes came up, same on bioshock. It would just be a case of reducing their speed instead of creating the animation. (Which we know you can do as smoke grenades in previous SC slowed the player down)

Farley4Fan

Yes, I was going to say that tidenburg.  It's possible, keep in mind that this isn't CT, it would be for PS.

Farley4Fan

To give you guys a better feel for what this map is about, I'll post some pics from the map it was inspired by.  It was inspired by the map "Rocky Cove" from GRAW and GRAW2's throwback map pack.  It will look/feel like this but it will be nighttime and be lit only by little lights hanging across the huts and towers.  The lights can be disabled by hacking into a generator on top of a hill that is centered in the middle.  Note that these pics are only to give a feel for the map, it will have different lighting/layout/etc...

The pictures:

For the very very basic idea of the map -

For a feel for playing on the map - (quality is garbage btw, but you'll get the basic idea)

Today I'll post Sketchup shots of the layout.

Cyntrox

Of course it's POSSIBLE, but what I meant is that it has to be supported by the devs. I doubt the Unreal map editor has the power to make new animations and reduce the speed of a player...

Farley4Fan

I'm almost positive that slowing a player down is possible, and no new animation is needed.  It's just a walk.  In fact, it wouldn't even be "slowing the player down" per say.  More like it forces you to walk instead of run.

Ion.67

Quote from: Cyntrox on February 17, 2008, 09:07:06 PM
Of course it's POSSIBLE, but what I meant is that it has to be supported by the devs. I doubt the Unreal map editor has the power to make new animations and reduce the speed of a player...

It can.

Zedblade

Quote from: Cyntrox on February 17, 2008, 09:07:06 PM

lol, it also doesn't have the power to make new maps either!!11

Vega

The reasons for the map setting are a little odd, I think that needs to be worked on, but I like the idea.  Although quite strange to be on a place that looks like a paradise.  Regardless, it sounds pretty cool and adding innovative twists to maps are always fun.

Farley4Fan

Yeah, not the best story teller  :D  They work though.  Maybe someone else can come up with a good reason to infiltrate a lagoon.

Succubus Dryad Of The Undying Comet

It was an American camp in Vietnam, and both merc's and spies are sent there to retrieve lost intel about whatever. Mercs get to the intel first, and spies struggle to steal the intel before the merc's are ready to leave.
WHATEVER I KNWO IT SUCKS