Main Menu

3d printer

Started by seef., July 13, 2011, 09:31:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cronky

That's pretty amazing to say the least. I'm curious as to how strong they can make something they could print. I see that he had enough strength to actually tighten something, but what if they wanted something like... a windshield of an airplane (assuming they can make something clear and airtight), or anything that has to be resistant to a force more than a human could possibly make.
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------
xFire:Cronkbot | Steam:Cronky

DreadStunLock

Though what is the material cost and how much you can actually use it?

As well as, I doubt they will be able to make airplane sheets anytime soon to make them strong enough.

Also, they never mention the cost -.-

Wh1tE_Dw4rF

I don't think the cost is that high. The price of a small object should be around $20-50.

Though overall it's pretty awesome for gaming miniature, tired of converting that big ass Carnifex? Why don't you just load up maya/3dMax and design something cool to print out and just glue on. Instead of spending a week trying to sculpt it yourself.

Cronky

Quote from: DreadStunlock on July 13, 2011, 01:02:50 PM
As well as, I doubt they will be able to make airplane sheets anytime soon to make them strong enough.

That's why I am curious.

-Could they make something that big?

-Could they make something that strong?

The guy in the video said that he could strengthen up the wrench by adding some extra resin to the final product, but what's going to come down the line for them if they wanted to make something stronger. Instead of Airplane windshields... say... body armor for soldiers.

Could they make body armor that was resistant to bullets in a comparable way to our current body armor?

Quote from: Wh1tE_Dw4rF on July 13, 2011, 05:03:44 PM
I don't think the cost is that high. The price of a small object should be around $20-50.

Though overall it's pretty awesome for gaming miniature, tired of converting that big ass Carnifex? Why don't you just load up maya/3dMax and design something cool to print out and just glue on. Instead of spending a week trying to sculpt it yourself.

Seems like I read that was exactly what Epic thought up when they wanted to make a Statue for the Epic Edition of Gears 3. They said they took their highest poly count version of Marcus and input it into the 3D printer, and voila!

If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------

Wh1tE_Dw4rF

That looks great, best thing about the printing is no frigging mould lines. I hate those so much, my scalpel wants to jump out the window any time I pick it up to remove  more mould lines.

DreadStunLock

Quote from: Wh1tE_Dw4rF on July 14, 2011, 03:11:07 AM
That looks great, best thing about the printing is no frigging mould lines. I hate those so much, my scalpel wants to jump out the window any time I pick it up to remove  more mould lines.

Don't think a scalpel will help you with that, you need something like a rubber kidney or even a metal one :P

Cronky

I have to assume that this type of stuff is going to get even more popular depending on how cheap is goes for. Figurines of your in-game characters that can be any size. From tiny and reasonably priced, to huge and "oh my god that's a lot of zeroes" in price.
-----------------------

AgentX_003

the bad part is it's going to put alot of tool and die makers out of business.

-Thanks Murdy for da Sig <3  xD

DreadStunLock

Quote from: AgentX_003 on July 15, 2011, 10:31:27 PM
the bad part is it's going to put alot of tool and die makers out of business.

What did you expect? There are consequences for those who skip school and don't aim higher.

puuusianka

That's called progress... People are afraid of progress but it is the only way not to let the monkeys eat us one day.

Farley4Fan

lol puu

@dwarf, I used to not buy shoes if they had mould lines.  It makes them look tacky.

@Cronky, interesting thing to think about.  I think as technology advances we will see new ways to "print" with new materials, not just this powder resin stuff.  Perhaps it will be the way to mass produce complex objects in the future.

CurdyMilk

Quote from: Farley4Fan on July 16, 2011, 05:04:12 AM
I think as technology advances we will see new ways to "print" with new materials, not just this powder resin stuff.  Perhaps it will be the way to mass produce complex objects in the future.
It will be interesting to see how everything becomes less valuable.  Anything worth alot will just be cloned.  Maybe nothing will be worth anything anymore!

DreadStunLock

Don't be so quick, we still don't know how much the material costs, and/or it's durability, I doubt they will be making skyscraper skeletons with that anytime soon.

The only thing so far I can credit it for is precision. But we don't even know how durable it is inside, what if in the printmaking it has cracks?

seef.

this may give you some info on the printing costs.

http://www.joetech.com/how-to-print-in-3d-with-sculpteo-online-3d-printing/