16x9, 16x10 or 4:3?

Started by Digital-Maniac, March 05, 2008, 07:29:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Digital-Maniac

Two thing I hated when I built my new PC was
A - I bought a Nvidia 8600GTS and I have no flashlight
B - I bought a widescreen monitor and SC only plays in 4:3

So i know A wouldnt be related to tihs game since it's a completely different engine.

But in regard to B, i was a bit upset we couldnt modify the game to play in widescreen and my character models looked SLIGHTLY stretched, barely noticible but annoying.  People blamed it on widescreen users having an unfair advantage with the added viewing area; hey... I say, choose your weapons carefully

So I want to make sure you guys make sure this mod supports all.

frvge

Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

AgentX_003

Quote from: Digital-Maniac on March 05, 2008, 07:29:43 PM
Two thing I hated when I built my new PC was
A - I bought a Nvidia 8600GTS and I have no flashlight
B - I bought a widescreen monitor and SC only plays in 4:3

So i know A wouldnt be related to tihs game since it's a completely different engine.

But in regard to B, i was a bit upset we couldnt modify the game to play in widescreen and my character models looked SLIGHTLY stretched, barely noticible but annoying.  People blamed it on widescreen users having an unfair advantage with the added viewing area; hey... I say, choose your weapons carefully

So I want to make sure you guys make sure this mod supports all.

Digital there will be a flashlight because Unreal tournament 3 is a DIRECT X 10 BASED GAME while scct is not.

-Thanks Murdy for da Sig <3  xD

MR.Mic

Whether or not a game is direct x 10 has no bearing on whether it will display shadows properly.
Regardless, there should be no lighting issues with any modern cards in PS.
[size=2]Lead Visual Effects Artist - Advanced Materials, Particles, and Post-Process Effects
Website: http://studentpages.scad.edu/~ctripp20/index.htm][/size]

Overstatement

I've always wondered how cards maintain backwards compatibility with DirectX verisons.

Cyntrox

Quote from: Digital-Maniac on March 05, 2008, 07:29:43 PMI say, choose your weapons carefully
What, I didn't hear you, did you say "fuck you because you don't have the same hardware as me, this is my chance to get an advantage"?

Digital-Maniac

Agent
I really did write this "So i know A wouldnt be related to tihs game since it's a completely different engine." just  for you... almost quoting exactly what you said to me on xfire.  I was more or less describing my displeasure with the situation

greenday5494

Quote from: Overstatement on March 05, 2008, 09:29:59 PM
I've always wondered how cards maintain backwards compatibility with DirectX verisons.

it's not the cards that do it, it's the software they run. Look at source, for one example. a beutifully coded engine, if i do say so myself. it supports all the way back to directX7, at least the 2004 version of it does (2007 version doesnt, but who the hell uses DX7 anyways?). You can force the game to directX7. It all depends how the shaders are coded, materials (known as textures in other engines), AI, general coding. The cards may support up to DX10, but they can back-scale to w/e DX level you want just because the engine supports it.

at least thats how i think it works. :/ (is SCCT only DX8?)

AgentX_003

-Thanks Murdy for da Sig <3  xD