3d Enviroment Artist / Prop Artist

Started by Daniel Doerksen, November 06, 2009, 08:40:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel Doerksen

yes, ive made quite a few starcraft/war3 maps back in the day alot of halo3 maps, using their map editors

LennardF1989

Would you happen to have some screenshots of them, I'm quite interested if you have potential of working on your own maps or existing ones that need work.

Daniel Doerksen

got a small question, 1000-4000poly count or tri count? u said poly earlier just want to confirm that,

the model is complete without texture/unwrap which ill start inabit. came in a 4100tris 2100polys

i can reduce it in the tri count drastically without losing anything that couldnt be normal mapped in

frvge

Do some minor optimizations to get it under 4000 tris. Of course, if you can find a way to make it look good at less than 4000 with a clever normal map, then go for that :).
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Zedblade

Quote from: frvge on November 09, 2009, 09:57:38 PM
Of course, if you can find a way to make it look good at less than 4000 with a clever normal map, then go for that :).

What? That's kinda the point.

Anyway, polycount and tris mean the same thing. Triangle count. I've never ever heard anyone ever refer to polycount as only being the amount of quads... well other then Max users.

Daniel Doerksen

i refer to tris to avoid confusion, yes lots use polys. however i could say my model is 2000 polys and i wouldnt be lieing. using tris its just a solid way to know for sure.

i was basing this model a little differently then a in game prop.

tbh the size of this prop ingame is rather small i thought. so i would think a actual poly limit would be 750-1k
and a 512 maybe 1024 map. however thats just a opinion.

so im just following the outline i was given, if i was just given the concept art and told to make it instinctively i would have made it 1k tris and 1024 map, haha

but now its modeled and unwraped to spec. ill drop it down to 2900tri's

MR.Mic

Quote from: Zedblade on November 09, 2009, 10:06:23 PM
Quote from: frvge on November 09, 2009, 09:57:38 PM
Of course, if you can find a way to make it look good at less than 4000 with a clever normal map, then go for that :).
I've never ever heard anyone ever refer to polycount as only being the amount of quads... well other then Max users.
Really? Because face count and triangle count are clearly distinct in Maya's stats display.
[size=2]Lead Visual Effects Artist - Advanced Materials, Particles, and Post-Process Effects
Website: http://studentpages.scad.edu/~ctripp20/index.htm][/size]

LennardF1989

Daniel Doerksen

hahaha, sry bud. i dont have screens from war3/starcraft three since i made them 5 years ago, they were defense maps, the skill in creation of those was mainly the triggers. and my h3 maps i might still have. but they are very special, well.. their might be some neat ones. i remember making a obsticle course using the refresh timing and placement where one you had to get the skull to the other end and fight at the same time

Daniel Doerksen

heres the WIP, lots of obvious things to do on it still. my viewport shader is giving me the shits so heres a quick render. no attachments? on forum? heres a link
http://danieldoerksen.deviantart.com/art/another-WIP-143114904

Gui Brazil

So far so good.

I must say though a model like this could benefit thousands from a high poly version from which you can build a normal map. Especially for the details as wires, plates, screws and what not. Don't know if you're planning on doing one, so just throwing my two cents out there.

Daniel Doerksen

there is one made already cant see it with the shitty render :s, ill have a better one soon

goodkebab

Add a gloss map  (use on eccentricity of a maya blinn)  for the Glass to have a low gloss like glass would have,  and the rest of the metal can have what it is now.  It is not a spec map!  This will control the fall off of the specular to either look dull or wet.  This particular texture map can be pretty low res (256x256)

For the screws and plates,  its better if you create those using Crazybump or the Nvidia filter based off of a height map you create by hand in photoshop.  Actually modelling the detail is overkill for what is essentially 8-10 pixels on a normal map.

Dont worry about the incandescence,  its enough if the texture is greyscale.  We will change the colors in the shader tree of the engine.  It will need to be various colors.

goodkebab

Oh, and an absolute must,  make sure the Dome with the metal Ring around it is its own polyshell,   it will need to spin around on its axis,  while the base is firmly attached to the wall.

Daniel Doerksen

yep, i use crazy bump and i intend to have a gloss map for the glass, in not too sure on the red lens imo.
right now its just spec normal diffuse. gloss map ill do last.

what i need to know is damage. this model is meant to be used by the spy, and should look newish i would assume so i think i should tone down the damage i have, right now it almost like it was painted with shit pain that didnt stick properly lol. and the scratches are too deep. but its progress.
http://danieldoerksen.deviantart.com/art/another-WIP-progress-143174822