Mid-level mapper/level designer

Started by damian3k, May 21, 2010, 07:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zedblade

Quote from: damian3k on May 27, 2010, 09:55:54 PM
What is spy size? I created room with same dimension as in SCCT in UDK and its much bigger than in CT o.0

use the same standards as ct

damian3k

Room in exactly same size as in CT:

It looks much bigger in UDK.

tigaer

I can do that in 5 minutes. Put in some static meshes (preferably, ones that you create) and then work on the lighting more.

damian3k

Its not my work to rate xD It just show the same room size in SCCT and UDK. In UDK its bigger.

comicsserg

I think the size doesn't matter now. We just want to see how can you make a map/room with objects, lights etc.

frvge

Size looks bigger because the Unreal demo guys are 3 times smaller.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

LennardF1989

That's because UT3 models are very small (just 128 units high or so (so you're low to the ground, room seems big). In PS, models are at least 192 units, so you're higher above the ground, result: room seems smaller.

damian3k

I have a problem with lights. I converted ceiling to SM after building lights there is a problem :/ How can i fix it?

LennardF1989

Did you actually rebuild the map and the lightning after converting geometry to a SM? And are you sure it's actually one SM and not a part SM and the smaller part BSP.

LennardF1989

Can we see a layout of what you are making? Note that we do not expect to see a copy of a room of an existing map, but something completely new, which would be one of your tasks as a mapper.

Zedblade

Quote from: damian3k on May 29, 2010, 10:54:58 PM
I have a problem with lights. I converted ceiling to SM after building lights there is a problem :/ How can i fix it?

It looks like you created two bsp additive brushes, one for the large area and another shorter one so there is a hole, then just converted those to meshes. That's not a good thing to do, it keeps the interior faces and messes up lighting. You could try completely surrounding the additive bsp brushes with your builder brush, then click on CSG Intersect (under Add brush on the left menu) This will turn your two bsp (or however many) into a single brush. Add that to the world and then convert to a staticmesh.

However it's not really good to make any meshes inside Unreal and the above way isn't perfect and can stll creat shitty lighting, it's just too messy and never comes out right. You should build the roof SM inside a 3d package such as maya or 3dsmax, that is the only way to make sure the geometry is clean and seamless.

damian3k

Quote from: LennardF1989 on May 30, 2010, 12:34:49 AM
Can we see a layout of what you are making? Note that we do not expect to see a copy of a room of an existing map, but something completely new, which would be one of your tasks as a mapper.

I want to create new verion od museum. In SCCT museum was building still in repair( scaffolds, etc ), new version will be finished museum, with paintings, sculptures. Rooms will be the same.

frvge

Nope, we don't want another SCCT-like map. Create a top-down 2D view on paper first.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

comicsserg

Quote from: frvge on May 27, 2010, 02:30:16 PM
Could you make a make a simple map on paper (top down view) and then pick one area/room and then make that in UDK? Include a custom texture and maybe a simple model or two. Bonus points for Kismet.

Then we can judge level design (the paper part) and the environmental art part (UDK).