Media Release

Started by frvge, April 23, 2010, 08:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ion.67

Mercs hud is a little cluttered. I think that both spy and mercs features should fade out. I don't like huds much. Also, the health bar on the merc is awkward. Maybe you could put it on the gun or something, or not even show it at all considering there are about 2 states of health: Jump death or not dying when jumped.

Spekkio

1. The "double lines" on the top and bottom of the Mercenary HUD serves a purpose, it lights up when sound is above or below you.
Having them there all the time doesn't serve a purpose, though. That still doesn't explain the nautical compass...and I keep using the adjective nautical on purpose to emphasize how out of place that damn thing is.

Quote3. I'm not a fan of the curved HUD too, nor is MR.Mic. Rest assured, we will allow disabling 3D effects in HUD for those who can't bare with it. Considered we even ADD the 3D effect to the HUD.
Word.

QuoteYou guys might remember the Balaclava-thing of the Mercenary model, people actually became pissed goodkebab didn't add it.
Yea, but that's purely aesthetic. The parts about the merc hud that I don't like obscure your FOV, which is why I don't like them.

Farley4Fan

Here's what I think:

1: take off the compass, maybe put a north direction on the rotating radar
2: make the double lines on the top and bottom only show when a sound pings the reticle
3: make the scoreboard only appear when you push a dedicated button
4: (spy)divide the hacking bar into intervals of 1 second so you can see how much time is needed to finish the hack

tigaer

Quote from: Spekkio on April 25, 2010, 11:06:17 PM
Just because I don't conform to your opinion, does not mean, in the slightest, that I ignored your input. I respect your opinion, but I'm not going to make changes just because you want them. It doesn't work like that.
You must be confused. It is a fact that the nautical compass and horizontal bars obscure the player's vision. It is your opinion that it won't matter because players don't pay attention to the periphery of their screens.

No, you must be confused. Like I said, just because I don't conform to your opinion doesn't mean I'm not listening and not keeping your opinion in my mind while designing. I take in all feedback, so I'm not ignoring your input.

Like Lennard said, the bars on the top and bottom are the sound detector (I wasn't sure if I was allowed to release that info) so the curvature is there so it won't take up the entire top and bottom of the screen with the SD, only the middle. It's for a reason, aswell as for immersion to make you feel that you're a completely different character as opposed to the spy.

Farly;
The scoreboard only appears when a spy is hacking, when somebody gets a kill, when somebody dies, or when an objective is hacked, is none of that is happening, it won't be visable. The radar and health bar acts the same.

Also, regarding the mercs health bar; I agree, but I was told to make it vertical.

Edit ---
If you don't think the visor on the merc is curved, you're pretty funny. lol.

Farley4Fan

It's curved for sure but it also has what looks like the sound reticle in the middle of his eyes, just like CT/PT.  I loved how they tried to show that the aiming cursor was actually part of the merc's visor.  Just a very subtle but cool detail.

How will you show the direction of the sound?  (to the left, right, front, or behind)  Will it still be on the aiming reticle like CT?  Obviously it won't be just up and down.

tigaer

Quote from: FarleyFan on April 26, 2010, 08:19:47 AM
It's curved for sure but it also has what looks like the sound reticle in the middle of his eyes, just like CT/PT.  I loved how they tried to show that the aiming cursor was actually part of the merc's visor.  Just a very subtle but cool detail.

How will you show the direction of the sound?  (to the left, right, front, or behind)  Will it still be on the aiming reticle like CT?  Obviously it won't be just up and down.

If you look closely, you can see the faded bars around the edges (look above the compass), those are the directional SD.

Zedblade

I just like to point out that these are just preliminary artistic mock ups that try to convey what the final HUD would look like graphically. Anything is subject to change and these screenshots do not show actual gameplay or working elements.

I guess spurring discussion on what is good to keep and what needs changing is the point of releasing it, however we are not taking anything anyone says as some sort of gospel we must adhere too. When it comes down to it, everything posted here is pure opinion based on their personal gaming preferences.  In the end it's going to be hours of testing and iteration that determines the final HUD.

So give us your opinions, but stop acting as if this is the final HUD, already in game and unchangeable and that is somehow ruins the game.

Westfall

I would prefer to toggle the scorecard on and off.

Compass does look lame and doesn't seem to serve a real purpose.

I don't mind the curved hud.

I'm not a big fan of the sound lines. I don't think those lines need to go across the screen. How do they let you know which floor the spy is on? Top one pings if on a floor above you, bottom if below you, both if same floor?

Gawain

Quote from: Zedblade on April 26, 2010, 01:43:52 PM
I guess spurring discussion on what is good to keep and what needs changing is the point of releasing it, however we are not taking anything anyone says as some sort of gospel we must adhere too. When it comes down to it, everything posted here is pure opinion based on their personal gaming preferences.  In the end it's going to be hours of testing and iteration that determines the final HUD

you can "test" the hud as long as you want to, those are facts: some elements don't take up the right amount of screen space, some stuff is utterly useless and unrealistic. i can see that democracy doesn't work here, but not "obeying" to valid input from hardcore fans is plain stupid. in fact, it's the core difference between this and ubisoft. before you go for the more final beta hud, someone should think about it at least as long as frvge did about the website, as the hud is a major gameplay element.

ShadowX

The Spy hud looks fine to me, but the scoreboard should be togglable and even scalable, it really feels way too intrusive, but for me at least is a important information package.

The Merc hud on the other hand seems a little bit too curved, and the top lines with their glow just feel intrusive. Although the transparent bar over the compass and the transparent bottom bar seem like a great idea for the sound detector and not nearly as intrusive (if that is what it's intended for or am I misinterpreting?). Just in my opinion, get rid of the lines, the curvature can be made with just the elements on the hud if it is wanted.

The merc scope really seems way too small and somewhat cluttered with all the lines especially at that size, but I do like the design, just needs scaling.

VaNilla

Here's an idea. Why not just make it so we just use our actual sound to detect where spies are, the way it is most games, rather than a sound detector?

Succubus Dryad Of The Undying Comet

Quote from: STON3COLDKILLA on April 26, 2010, 08:58:36 PM
Here's an idea. Why not just make it so we just use our actual sound to detect where spies are, the way it is most games, rather than a sound detector?
It would be unbalanced for those with no headphones or surround systems.

Farley4Fan

Westfall, Tigaer said that the scorecard will only show when someone dies or an objective is taken and things of that nature.  But yeah I'd also want to be able to push a dedicated button rather than to have it pop up when something happens.

I actually kind of dig the new sound detector design.  Pretty nice but I guess we'll see how practical it is and how easily it can be read.

Spekkio

Tigaer, I am not confused at all. You need to look up the difference between fact and opinion if you think that it is my opinion that those items obscure your FOV.

QuoteIf you look closely, you can see the faded bars around the edges (look above the compass), those are the directional SD.
These are not the bars I was referring to; I was referring to the solid double-bars that extend throughout your entire FOV, whose only function seem to be to highlight your wicked awesomely cool I dunno how I could ever think otherwise curved aspect.

QuoteSo give us your opinions, but stop acting as if this is the final HUD, already in game and unchangeable and that is somehow ruins the game.
Might as well be final if the creator is going to stonewall his silly ideas into existance anyway.

Zedblade

Quote from: Spekkio on April 27, 2010, 12:26:13 AM
QuoteSo give us your opinions, but stop acting as if this is the final HUD, already in game and unchangeable and that is somehow ruins the game.
Might as well be final if the creator is going to stonewall his silly ideas into existance anyway.

He's just trying to counter your points and defend his work, that doesn't mean he has final say. None of you do.