Project Stealth Mine

Started by B1nArY_001, November 09, 2007, 05:51:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

B1nArY_001

Here's another gadget for you guys.

One mine with 2 different configurations for laser and proxy.

Farley4Fan

Are the proxies going to blink like in CT? I think the motion sensing ones should have a red or blue light that blinks on and off.

Anyways, of course they look awesome.

B1nArY_001

The lights could be made to blink easily enough, though with the multiple lights and larger light pattern it should be perfectly visible. Not to mention, if you look at the different configurations you will see that the light pattern will make an ID on the mine type possible from a distance.

And thanks.

Westfall

Are there still poison mines?

They look really good. =)

SITHDUKE

We still need the proxy blinking light though, unless you guys are making the laser trip wire visible for some reason?

neth

Blinking is probably not a problem, guess its good when these white lights blink. It should look cool and be enough.

Edit: BTW Binary you kick ass

B1nArY_001

Quote from: SITHDUKE on November 09, 2007, 08:28:55 AM
We still need the proxy blinking light though, unless you guys are making the laser trip wire visible for some reason?

No it's invisible except in thermal but you'll notice when the mine is a proxy the light pattern forms an X and when it is a laser the light pattern forms a cross. Also when it is the proxy the motion sensing pods flip up so there is ample indication of the type. Oh and let's not forget the beeping when it's a proxy :)

SITHDUKE

Does the X blink? I'm sorry to be a pain about it but it's alot easier to see something that blinks. Something about humans vision being somewhat dependant on movement. Like you can't see a guy hiding in the bushes wearing camoflauge unless he moves around a bit. Giving it the blinking lights makes it more recognisable faster in my opinion. It's probably not as big of a deal as I'm making it out to be but I just like to be able to look at a room and spot the proxy quickly.

goodkebab

Use a little bit of imagination and have faith in us guys,  we dont have the time to make animated gifs for you to see the functionality.  Its not like we never played the game before.

My only concern at the moment is that white is not a good choice of colors for the glow because that color will get lost once it is ingame. Red or orange is far more appropriate because it wil be much more visible even when the mine is in a brightly lit area.  Blinking will also be necessary,  but that will be done in the editor.

Yellow or white on the other hand would only blend with the environment.

Succubus Dryad Of The Undying Comet

Poison should be like the laser mine, but without the lights (poison is supposed to be hidden).

Gawain

4 motion sensors is overkill imo (but quite amazing idea anyways =) ). it should blink in bright red. the laser of the poison mine must look different in thermal. one basic look for all mines is a good idea, it's way more coherent.
btw, what about the possibility to place mines on the floor and in an adjustable angle? this would give laser and expecially poison mines way more innovative uses and allow for a less rectangular map design.

B1nArY_001

The color of the glow will be a cobalt blue which should not only be highly visible but compliment the color of the mine nicely. The glow you see here is a 10 second pass in photoshop with a brush and some blur. I'm trying to avoid red unless the blue turns out to be to easily missed. Red is a bit cliche' as a warning color. The blinking lights will be done if it is needed but as I said, there is ample visual indicators and glowing blue lights should make it quite visible. If we test it and people can't adjust to non-blinking lights then we will take the 5 minutes to make them blink.