Project Stealth Mine

Started by B1nArY_001, November 09, 2007, 05:51:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Succubus Dryad Of The Undying Comet

Not blinking - easier to see, since you can miss the mine when it's light isn't on (happens alot of time to me).

neth

Quote from: Gawain on November 09, 2007, 01:35:03 PM
one basic look for all mines is a good idea

I hope youre not talking about 1 look for ALL mines. Poisons should have their own, cause it matters when you want to cross the laser.

---

I hope these mines will not be too big, cause when you put big proxy like this on a collumn, they will be visible from behind.

---

BTW not blinking is also cool but if you decide to add blinking, dont forget that  lights dont have to blink simultaneously but can one after enother e.g.

B1nArY_001

Quote from: neth on November 09, 2007, 03:39:26 PM
Quote from: Gawain on November 09, 2007, 01:35:03 PM
one basic look for all mines is a good idea

I hope youre not talking about 1 look for ALL mines. Poisons should have their own, cause it matters when you want to cross the laser.

---

I hope these mines will not be too big, cause when you put big proxy like this on a collumn, they will be visible from behind.

---

BTW not blinking is also cool but if you decide to add blinking, dont forget that  lights dont have to blink simultaneously but can one after enother e.g.

Poison mines will have their own model.

The mines will be no bigger than what everyone is accustom to.

If it turns out it is just not visible enough without blinking we have discussed several ideas for off-set and chase patterns.

Gawain

the blinking effect is kinda cool and some movement is better to discover for the eye. you could do 0.3s on, 0.1 off, 0.3 on etc so that the gap is close enough.
making poison the same basis mine look is a good thing, because otherwise we have to wonder how the merc can magically transform mine types...

i'd like the blue lights idea if the merc's laser color is in blue, too. the most realistic choice of course would be red leds (cheap and not causing iris adaption) for the mines and green for the gun laser (most visible).

neth

Quote from: Gawain on November 09, 2007, 04:36:26 PM
because otherwise we have to wonder how the merc can magically transform mine types...

We may also wonder how the fuck did he put poison into them

B1nArY_001

The poison mine's design will be slightly different to accommodate a C02 cartridge for firing the dart.

Xan

Firstly I'd like to say the mines look fantastic! Nice job binary. IS there going to be animations for the mine or will they spawn in the corect setting?

Secondly I'd like to initiate some sort of dicussion of the poisen mine, which i intensely disliked from CT, to see if anyone else feels like I do that the game would be bettter without them.

neth

This mine is extremaly useful cause there are places where lasers are useless. Its sometimes annoying when spy can cure his mate with the touch of his finger but its only another argument for playing together.

B1nArY_001

Yes there will be animations, quick, but yes.

Why don't you like the Poison Mines?

Granted, they are nearly useless against a team that stays together, or too close to a health box of course.

They do however provide an opportunity for attack if the spies stop to heal (I've been able to nail both spies by firing 2 shots into the same location because of positioning while they heal)

They also work very well for herding spies in the direction you want them to go. Most spies hate them, but most spies who hit them are being careless or fleeing a merc, myself included.

Every time I hit a pmine it just makes me laugh because I know if I had been paying attention... But then... there are those times you have some yahoo for a mate and tell him you're going to trip the mine to get past but he needs to heal you, he waits, you trip the mine, he runs off and leaves you to die. Grrr...

I think they are a great tool for the Merc and by no means overpowered  :-\

Gawain

well, poison mines are rather used as a spytrap replacement. with a lower timer things will look different, but i still can't see in which way they are good for the gameplay...

SITHDUKE

Poison mines covering somewhere and a proxy mine on the quickest route from that point to the medkit are a golden combo. Xan poison mines are a pain and have cost me some games but that's through only being in too much of a hurry to see it because like all mines you'll likely never hit a mine if you're paying enough attention. Also the fact certain mine types are popular in certain places make them increasingly predictable and as a result less effective.

Xan

For starters I never particularly enjoyed the concept, but we'll skip that in favour of gameplay problems I have.

1: The range is as long as the laser mine but it has the same effect no matter at what point you hit the beam. This means there's no way of triggering the mine without being forced to make the mad dash for a mate or a health pack. One of the things I enjoy about Mines is that badly placed one can be triggered and survived, everyone here must have rolled away from a proxy taking only modest damage, or tripped a laser outside of the blast radius.

2: I hate the mad dash that ensues once you've hit a poisen mine. Getting to a health pack or getting a friend to heal you can be very hit and miss, I can't count the number of time i've been begging a mate to heal me other to find we can't get aligned correctly in time, or the health pack refused to give me a use option.

3: They remove some of the usefulness of spytraps. Sure if you take spy traps you get more to place. But with only a few good spytrap places per map, the best of them can easily be replaced with a poisen mine. And as a tag is removed just as easily as a poisen mine is healed, there's little incentive to use spytraps.

But if I'm in the minority over this (as it seems I am) I trust the developers judgement on what works and what doesn't, and I'll continue using the annoying things.

Spekkio

I might be alone in this, but you should not be able to discern the type of mine as spy by just looking at it alone. EMF would reveal lasers and sound would reveal proxies.

Oh, and those look damn sexy :).

Xan,

I agree with you somewhat. I don't think poisons are very useful in their current state because fifteen seconds is an eternity, and poisons do tend to serve as a host's poor-man's spytrap. Clients don't hear the "whoosh" sound. Occassionally you get poisoned when being careless and don't have quick access to a healthpack or teammate, but most of the time that's not the case. Healthboxes are within relatively easy access to any poison mine on most maps. Personally, if I still have to do work to kill the spy, then I'd rather take spy traps. But that goes back to your assertion that spy traps and poison mines overlap in function, which is kind of true and a good argument for removing them (nothing should overlap in function).

I probably wouldn't miss them if they were removed because I rarely use them. Still, I wouldn't be opposed to their inclusion, either. Sithduke's "one removal/heal per X minutes," remove the trip sound from poisons altogether, and giving 5 spy traps vs. 3 mines could fix the problem of spy traps not being useful.

Gawain

good points xan. gadgets overlapping in functions is a bad thing, and so is the non-existend range factor.
i think it's quite unimportant if the different mine types can be distinguished, because when you can see the mine from distance you can already ss it (aggro) and stealth players have the sound indicator and tend to have enough time (and privacy to use thermal) while they are close to decide how to get around the mine.

Farley4Fan

They need to blink.  WHy?  Because at times mines are placed on spots that have lights around it.  If it is one solid light then you won't ever know it is a mine's light.