Main Menu

Music

Started by Cyntrox, November 18, 2007, 06:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Overstatement

I don't like all these sections either. And the repeating. Better to expand the sections with new melody notes and have fewer sections.

And what's with the 30 seconds of silence at the end?

Gui Brazil

I didn't quite like the transition between the violins and the electric guitar (if that's what it is). I loved the rest, though.

Daybreak

This is good. You have great parts but they are arranged oddly. Here's what I'd do if I could edit the song
I've marked basically all the different parts with letters
:00 A
:16 B
:30 C
:42 D
:54 E
1:06 F
1:18 G

This is what I'd turn your song into:
G
mix A and G
A
B delay for an extra bar
Keep the intensity that B creates and make the strings do the piano keys in A by plucking them or short strikes to get something similar to what happens at 1:06 and mix it with D.
Break the intensity with E keep F but then make the plucks of the strings the same in A but only bar.
then D mixed with G
then just G
Loop.

Basically, you've got your parts in the wrong order. See if something like that would work. In my head it sounds pretty good.
Then again, I hear a lot of things in my head.

Zedblade

I liked it. Needs more violins and the creepyness needs to be upped a bit. Overall though, I like it.

neth

I also think that the main theme appears too often. I know its main but imo it shouldnt be repeated by every instrument. It should be something for which people will wait.

I would also cut away guitars (0.30- 0.42) and add there something calm and slow,  which would prepare the listener for what happens at 0.42

Perhaps when creating other themes this could inspire you:

http://www.deusex-machina.com/media/sound/Deus%20Ex%20-%20Main%20Title.mp3 - i still get knocked down when i hear it altough its old.

You could also try something in a Hans Zimmer's 'the rock' way.

(EDIT: ADDED 'NT' - shouldnt)

Cyntrox

Lots of good feedback here, thanks a lot guys!

Due to stress in real life I haven't had time to do much work on it.. But I'll probably do some in the weekend ;)

Daybreak

Real life? What kind of excuse is that?

Succubus Dryad Of The Undying Comet

Err... i thought everyone here has real lives...

Westfall

you thought wrong sweety

iservealot

try creating a track with the type of feel that you had going starting from 1:20

SITHDUKE

Call me sad but I sat on the Deus Ex main menu for like hours just listening to the main title theme and watching the Deus Ex logo spin. o.o Personally I really like themes that can be looped without noticing where it starts and ends. Which is probably why I like Final Fantasy music so much.

neth

Menu music must be slow and calm cause otherwise it gets frustrating after hours of listening. FFS worst menu music is the one from CT.

SITHDUKE

I think there should be seperate spy and merc music since they're opposing teams. I like this tune though, really nice. One question is, since none of us play with music enabled because it would drown out the sound effects of mines and cams and since the CT menu music is utter pants will there be any in-game music for each team at all? The only thing the music option effects in CT is when you get necked, the "duh-duh-duh-duh" when you start hacking a terminal and the end game screen.

neth

Nice menu music, victory/defeat short melody, breaking neck sound - is all we need.

Gawain

it's menu music. if there's an ingame music, it should be very subtle, depending on the situation and team and always on for fairness.