Observatory map

Started by Daybreak, February 03, 2008, 10:27:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daybreak

I've been thinking about this map for a while now and thought it'd be a good idea to show you guys and see if I should continue. My main problem is that I have really no skill in creating static meshes or maps in general so my progress isn't very far. In anycase, I thought showing my design could spark some other more skilled mapers some ideas. Though, most likely they've thought of it.

I've included some photos I made this weekend in sketchup. Thankfully, drawing it in autocad made it easy to build. However, the program has it's limitations and well I've only been using it for 2 days.

The map consists of a home (roughly the size of Building A in deftech) with a telescope observatory.
Behind it, is observatory, which is actually a missle silo. To the east of it, is the laboratory where all the info is gathered from the telescope and for the Missles. The outside, would be rocky with many nooks and cranny's for spies to hide and run around to confuse mercs. There of course would be safe walkways for mercs to travel.

There would be two hacks in each building, and a bomb placement and a disk steal in the missle silo. Unlike deftech, leaving one building makes it easier to guard the other two. If the silo blows up, underground paths are opened up for the spies to travel from various locations including the cliff west of the area.

I think the map has potential, it's just going to take time to make. Here are some skeches.
I appreciate your imput.

Hyrage

No idea is naturally bad, so I think that you can really work on this one and make it pretty effective. It sounds good for the moment, but if you can develop it a bit more or get more images it could be better to tell you more  :D.
http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/1015/achievement3zo3.jpg[/img]

"Video Games are art, but we don't play art, we play games."

Succubus Dryad Of The Undying Comet

I like the idea  very very much.

OT: How to make interiors in SketchUp ?? :P

Daybreak

The interior is already built. I made one floor at a time, then put them together. Exactly like how you build a house physically. Platform Framing. lol.
I only used sketchup to put my ideas together. I need something visual to see if it'd work. I'm going to finish the lab this later this week. This took me only an afternoon. My problem that I see now are the non-grid orientation my map currently has. I'm also looking deep into space issues, as I don't want the map to be too big. My background is purely architectural. So it's all based on imperial units and not game units. A real size living room doesn't translate perfectly into a game living room. I have to wrap my head around changing that.
I've never done this before, so most of my time is spent referencing CT maps and taking notes. Then I have to create the assests, which will probably take me just as long.
My hat's off to map makers. This shit takes some time.

B1nArY_001

32 units will roughly translate to 1 foot assuming our spy and merc are 6ft tall. That should help you to proportion it.

Farley4Fan

I downloaded sketchup on my shitty PC and it's a pretty nice program to use.  Good ideas Daybreak.

And is it just me or does that building look like a building from Panama on CT single player?

Vega

Daybreak, I definitely think the map has potential.  Looks good so far and I can imagine this being in Project Stealth easily.  A couple of things I thought of right off the bat;

-I imagined this cliff being next to a large body of water, with woods and whatnot to the north of the building.  Perfect reason for some wealthy guy to have an observatory out in the middle of nowhere.
-It's easy to think some terrorists or a wealthy guy involved in terrorism has a lonely "observatory," which serves as a headquarters.
-Possibly having the middle of the cliff being a part of the "headquarters," as if an underground complex (houses the missiles).  Multiple entrances and tunnels/rooms inside the cliff/rock itself.

This map has a lot of cool possibilities.

Zedblade

Quote from: B1nArY_001 on February 04, 2008, 07:30:37 AM
32 units will roughly translate to 1 foot assuming our spy and merc are 6ft tall. That should help you to proportion it.

actually... I've learned that its actually 29.333333333333333333 that translates to 1 foot... So round that down and it's 29 units for every foot assuming the spy/merc are going to be 6ft. tall. Just forget about that really, the only important thing is to keep in mind that the spy/merc is 176 units tall. (which is roughtly 6ft.)

Daybreak

Sounds good.
I'm also assuming, from what I've read in other threads, that we are using the same standards for the special moves ie: 512 for coop height etc.
Thanks for all the comments too. Vega, I particularly like the underground headquarters, didn't think of that. I'll see if I can incorporate it. As it is, the map is getting big.

VaNilla

Sounds nice man good luck and good work on the idea :).

Farley4Fan

Quote from: Vega on February 04, 2008, 09:54:25 AM

-It's easy to think some terrorists or a wealthy guy involved in terrorism has a lonely "observatory," which serves as a headquarters.

I'm not sure if the mercs would guard something owned by terrorists.  Would they?  I know they are mercenaries but they have to have some kind of who they do business with.

Zedblade

Quote from: Papa Skull on February 04, 2008, 07:54:08 PM
Quote from: Vega on February 04, 2008, 09:54:25 AM

I'm not sure if the mercs would guard something owned by terrorists.  Would they?  I know they are mercenaries but they have to have some kind of who they do business with.

Who the fuck cares about why... its about making a fun environment for people to play in. THis is one reason I said we don't need a story.................. Just assume the mercs/spies are from different organizations that are neutral and do whatever their clients tell them. Sometimes they do good things, sometimes bad...

Anyway, Daybreak if you need any good referance, search for Mcdonald's Observatory...

Daybreak

I agree with Zed, which is why I made up a story line months ago that supported random maps.

On another note, did he just call me Binary?

Zedblade

Quote from: Daybreak on February 04, 2008, 09:15:43 PM
I agree with Zed, which is why I made up a story line months ago that supported random maps.

On another note, did he just call me Binary?

pftt.... no.

Farley4Fan

I just never thought that Argus would ever work for terrorists.  I think that a storyline would be cool though.  It gives a little more depth and reason to be playing.