GAME LOBBY UI - host view

Started by seefoo., June 27, 2007, 12:27:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seefoo.

all clickables are white (i.e. click map. everything blurs and fades about 20-30%.  a little with a popup over map window gives the map breifing.  click on player name and get a popup with profile)

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f381/seefoo/PS_PROFILE.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f381/seefoo/PS_LOGIN.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f381/seefoo/PS_WORLDLOBBY.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f381/seefoo/PS_GAMELOBBY03.jpg

Kurbutti

I'd agree with the one who said there should be four slots available for each team.

Good work with the layout. I don't care about the positioning, but it has to be clear. I'd add some sort of icons next to the buttons, such as a picture of wrench next to the settings button, or something as illustrating. Not that I'd be complaining about the lack of it, in fact, I'd be overjoyed. Less chance I'd have to stand non-english, non-finnish, non, swedish players any further, than necessary. Maybe you should add the name of the server to be visible somewhere as well? What, you never had ny noobs rush your server, despite of the capitalized NO NOOBS -banner?

I don't like the colours. That doesn't matter, like I said, I'm way more interested in the overall functionality. Would there be any way to alter the colours to suit your own preference? Who knows?

Anyway, I think you've done great job contrubuting your efforts.

seefoo.

eventually i wanna make icons for each button and have minimal text.  also the colors can be changed easy.  i wanna get (like you said) the functionality and design down 1st, then i can finish that other stuff and eventually pick a font! ;D

Kurbutti

Hard to be creative if you don't know what you can do, and what you can't. Well, I'll try to make it simple, whoever's got the information can let me know if I'm dreaming too far off.

Well, I'm figuring about having a basic screen like this here. I'd find most functuonality in pop-ip, drop-down, what-ever kind of menus, that wouldn't throw you around too much. What I'm thinking is something exactly like the way windows behaves. You open windows against a single, interactive background. That would of course be the lobby itself. Move your mouse over the settings and click, it opens a list of options, another poin 'n click, you'll have whatever you desired, while being copmpletely aware of what's going on in the lobby.

That's the way I'd prefer, given it made any sense.

goodkebab

I think this one has the best layout, its functional, and readable.

Kurbuti,  the text "Game Lobby" could easily be the server name

As far as color scheme goes....its the most flexible to change.  Adding a 4th slot?  to fix that we could just drop the red and blue fields altogether....

It might look a lot better with near monocrhomatic colors with only the Map having a full color image.

-also keep in mind...we need to keep this fairly simple for the sake of our programmers still learning how to script in UT

Kurbutti

Quote from: goodkebab on June 27, 2007, 01:09:15 AM
I think this one has the best layout, its functional, and readable.

Kurbuti,  the text "Game Lobby" could easily be the server name

I imagined it there as well. Would fit.

As far as color scheme goes....its the most flexible to change.  Adding a 4th slot?  to fix that we could just drop the red and blue fields altogether....

It might look a lot better with near monocrhomatic colors with only the Map having a full color image.

In the end I'm fine with any colour scheme, but I'm dreaming about an ability to customize, if it can be done. The fourth slot wouldn't be necessary if you hadn't planned allowing game to start with having four spies, or mercs. While I'd agree with the idea, it has nothing relevant to do with the UI.

frvge

I think it's too crowded. Too many images/text.
I like the band and quit button in the top right, and the fades of the scanlines, but overall I like the other 2 designs better.

Logo is ok-ish, but get rid of the large 1-color blocks above 'versus' and the gray thing on the left and right.
Game Lobby (or server name) doesnt stand out enough.

Button placement is ok, but I am missing a manual key to send messages. And I dont like the 2nd back and quit buttons at the bottom.

There's inconsistency with the 1-color block on the left of the chat. It's not on the right. Lines aren't mirrored, which gives the effect that text can just 'walk' off the screen to the right.

Tip:
Make it at full scale, which is at least 1024x768. I think the map and the player slots is too cramped upon eachother. Needs space.

Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

iservealot

some of the stuff that is cluttered on the top and left should be re-situated to the bottom right, because it looks very open there. You don't need all that space for game chat.

Gui Brazil

This is the one I liked the most, actually. I'd like to see how it'd look if it had the Map/options/map screenshot/mode in the middle of the screen and each team in 1 side, like Daybreak's design.

Awesome design and colors, congratulations Seefoo!

Stealth.Hero

Man cant wait till this game comes out !!!!!

Vega

Man, so many UI's to look at it.  I like this one as well, seefoo.  Nice job dude.

seefoo.

kurbutti, i was thinkin the same thing with popup style transparent windows for buttons instead of opening a new page. :)

AgentX_003

Hmm maybe you all dont agree with me but on this whole concept im gunna have to go with Tigaer's design it just seems to flow  and just to add to things; i think there should be a move function for the host so they can move the those annoying people who decide to  spy whore and not move when you ask them to.

-Thanks Murdy for da Sig <3  xD

frvge

The updated one is better. Dunno if I like the sheared red and blue, but it's overall better.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Kurbutti

^
^
I don't think forced switch would be that useful. Not only it could abused, it wouldn't become needed in decent games, where players would even the teams themselves. Besides, most whores get kicked pretty fast too, except host spy/mercwhores, but I think they're going to be very lonely, so it isn't really sometning that couldn't be resolved with a kick.