model of a soldier - a work in progress thread

Started by reason3d, October 29, 2007, 04:48:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reason3d

hi im dimz , i am a 3d modeler and a semi-friend of alot of people here .

this will be a topic showing the progression of my work , building a modern day us ranger . also i am offering discussion and help to those who are new or fairly new to modeling , so feel free to ask any question . also to point out mistakes .

very early still , first work in progress of the torso will be here :

Ortho

this is just to get things rolling a bit , and i will space the renders out so you can see it evolve .

Goodkebab , if you could comment on the overall accuracy of the physique , would greatly help the model . though ive been modeling characters for wquite a while , none had to be very accurate and it was a must that they were very low poly (ut2004 mods) . 

reason3d

got a good update , base model is near completion in regards to whats stock on the model , attachments and other delicate detail will come later :

http://www.reason3d.us/soldierwip3.jpg

img is 1024 x 768 and wont display well in img tags .

reason3d

wow im tired , that was rendered using light tracer but no light , hence the ghost you may or may not have seen .

ok so heres the deal , dont know how long its been , but i am done for the day and have another render , its pretty plain except for those who like cage inspection ... but i wanna post one more image since the last was so badly processed .

http://www.reason3d.us/soldierwip4.jpg

night peeps .

Gawain

the head is too small and the whole body form looks too rectangular.

Tidenburg

he looks a bit like hes wearing pajamas? The material shouldn't droop it should be tight to his body outlining his figure. ATM he looks like a cube in clothes.

goodkebab

there is very little to judge until you can create a normal map.  The hi res version is where all the power is.

Gui Brazil

He's body is a bit too rectangular, as Gawain said.

Zedblade

are you going for realistic or stylized? You have reference? If you are going for realistic, then make sure you use tons of reference to get the body right. If you are going for realism, you have a long way to go. Try www.3d.sk. They have tons of human reference photos.

reason3d

the reesult of wearing a bullet proof vest which should , in idealistic terms not be pressed against the body will make you look a bbit bulkier . also the shirt and jeans are not the usual form-fitting ones found in use by usual marines and whatnot , it is realistic since they are available , but its not the kind youre thinking of . also the vest makes you look blocky , but i am adjusting the shoulders to make it a bit more articulated .

i am going for realism , physique wont help much since its not a stealth suit theyre just BDU's . i am working on the proportions basically to make it more gamplay-efficient , realism isnt everythign this mod is , but it will show just how much in the gameplay as compared to each individual model . there is no first person full model so this is third and will be seen from distances , all needs to be considered when making the proportions , hitboxes come to mind .

B1nArY_001

Take a close look at your legs etc. Looks like you used extrusion box modeling to create it but failed to properly round it out. Even with a vest on the chest is more cylindrical than it is currently. To capture the effect of the vest better, first model the proper physique then build the vest off that bulking out the appropriate areas, I think you'll find the result is more realistic. It allows the physique under the gear to come through a little better and allows you to better judge how the fabrics would hang etc.

reason3d

what you talking about , you cant see physique though a plated vest .

my legs look the same , i wear the baggy jeans , not tight cowbody jeans , they fall straight assumiong im in my most raised upward position .

heres an image tweaked a bit , with hands and temporary boots :

please keep in mind this is a work in progress too , i could make the jeans have all sorts of wrinkles and folds , but why waste the polys ?

LOL hands are bad so far , will either fix them or make new ones .

LMAO , rechecked my ortho ref , jeans are hangin off his ass , its xmas time , in hollis queens hrhrhrhrhrhr.

goodkebab

Proportionally it is all off.   

Torso is cyclindrical, and you have it flat like a box.

You are mirror modelling which is fine,  but this is probably why it is looking to wide.  This is what makes the character look flattened.

You need to work from referance,  the side view would show the character is as stiff as a board. You need to bring a relaxed pose to the spine,  because it actually S curved and not straight like an iron pole.

The cheeks bones are in the wrong place.

reason3d

torso cannot be cylindrical if the vest , which is sitting off the body , is flat . i agree the inside , the chest should be cylindrical but we dont see that , we see the vest .

i am still tweaking proportioins . and according to a professional reference it is as wide as it should be , because the vest and jeans are wide cut . also as far as being "stiff as a board" , the soldier should be in a "go" position and not relaxed .