affiliate modder requesting Unreal Engine 3 info

Started by reason3d, November 04, 2007, 12:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reason3d

hi , i figured since our mods are completely non-competitive and would actually benefit from helping each other ( i know i aint great but i will help with whatever you guys want ) ...

i wanted to know some things about UE3 like :

whats the ideal poly counts on characters and weapons ?

what size are the best for character and weapon textures . i've seen 4096x2 textures used in GRAW 2 but thats not unreal , and of course i suspect the tex res is scalable in UE3 but im not sure

also i would like to ask if any of the programmers here , since mod work is for experience and teamwork , could spare some time to implement some very basic features into my mod when i have the assets ready ?

truth be told i was hurt by everyone hating me and not giving me a chance , and of course hiding so you wouldnt know it was me applying , but i would like to do map props for your mod , i see a good opportunity there and if allowed i would like to be tested .

finally : thanks to all of you who let me be an asshole and come back to my senses , after the ubi forums i havent been the same until recently when i realized just what a great band of peeps you all are .

frvge

It's all on unreal's engine page.

Normal Maps & Texture maps
We are authoring most character and world normal maps and texture maps at 2048x2048 resolution. We feel this is a good target for games running on mid-range PC's in the 2006 timeframe.  Next-generation consoles may require reducing texture resolution by 2X, and low-end PC's up to 4X, depending on texture count and scene complexity.

Environments
Typical environments contain 1000-5000 total renderable objects, including static meshes and skeletal meshes. For reasonable performance on current 3D cards, we aim to keep the number of visible objects in any given scene to 300-1000 visible objects. Our larger scenes typically peak at 500,000 to 1,500,000 rendered triangles.
Source: http://www.unrealtechnology.com/html/technology/ue30.shtml

Applications for the mod go in the Join Us forum. Therefor, this one gets locked.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.