Engine and other updates

Started by frvge, November 21, 2013, 01:50:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frvge

Hi all,

As you might have read on our FB ( https://www.facebook.com/projectstealthgame ), we've switched to Unreal Engine 4. We gotta stay with the time and the technical advances of the past years.

This switch means we'll be rebuilding the game, which was needed from a QA perspective, but this time in native C++. We expect to get better framerates while having more effects because of this. C++ also enables us to use common debugging tools and so on. A lot of the building block logic can be transferred but it's currently too early to really get a good estimate on the total time it will take. We intend to speed the process up with multiple full-time programmers, but more info on that will hopefully come around New Year.

The past year has been one of the most interesting years for PS: we've formed a company, kicked off more marketing (screenshot per week) on Facebook, have shown Asylum and some in-game video footage for the first time, evaluated and switched to a new Engine and prepared a lot of stuff behind-the-scenes that is yet to be revealed. We intend on continuing with this in 2014 and would like your support. It will be released when it's done.

If you haven't liked us on FB yet, you're missing out on a screenshot per week, and sometimes even more!

Thanks for reading :)
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

NeoSuperior

As long as this improvement does not mean that we have to wait until 2016 for something playable, then it is great.
If there are any orthographic/grammatical errors in this post, you can keep them and, if you want, hang them over your bed ;)

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."
- Mike Godwin

RaDRoacH

Quote from: Meister_Neo on November 21, 2013, 05:43:27 AM
As long as this improvement does not mean that we have to wait until 2016 for something playable, then it is great.
This... *sigh*
Sorry if my english is not perfect.

frvge

Our capacity problem is human resources. We're aiming to fix that ASAP.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

NeoSuperior

Quote from: frvge on November 21, 2013, 07:40:49 PM
Our capacity problem is human resources. We're aiming to fix that ASAP.

Well in 3-5 years I could possibly help in some way, but right now not so much. I wish university would be done with faster, but since i just began a few months ago...
If there are any orthographic/grammatical errors in this post, you can keep them and, if you want, hang them over your bed ;)

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."
- Mike Godwin

VaNilla

Advice: You don't need new screenshots each week. We would rather see quality screenshots (like GTA V), rather than a bunch of screenshots on a regular basis.

frvge

The quality of GTA V has more to do with a budget of 350 million dollar. Besides, doing the quality screenshots is currently not the main focus. I'm going for quantity now to show progress. Before this, we released maybe 1-2 screenshots in the past 11 months.

NeoSuperior

I have to agree with frvge here, as lately everyone (including me) was complaining about no new content for months. Now we finally get to see some content, although I have to admit that the content of the screenshots gives an illusion of "at the end of this year (+ max 3 months) we will get something playable", because going by the screenshots the game looks like it is in 1.0 phase.

- Mike Godwin

Ayac

So whats the current status  of the development? I'm not aksing for the release date of the game, just for the current status. (Stability, Bugs, missing features, etc)

frvge

Mostly working on marketing material. We're starting to port stuff over to UE4.

dYnAm1c

So is production basically on hold because you have to port everything to UE4 now at first? How long will all that stuff need?

VenomousNinja

Quote from: dYnAm1c on December 20, 2013, 06:08:13 PM
So is production basically on hold because you have to port everything to UE4 now at first? How long will all that stuff need?
Welcome to the second circle of development hell.

frvge

Quote from: dYnAm1c on December 20, 2013, 06:08:13 PM
More information on that will come later.

WTaFa(Wraith)

Quote from: frvge on December 20, 2013, 04:45:44 AM
Mostly working on marketing material.
What can I do as a fan to help the project in preparing marketing material?
Join Project Stealth Wiki development. Join clan of non-violence infiltrators
Wraith Guild for exploring December release of Thieves vs Guard Stealth Online Multiplayer.

frvge

I don't know. I don't think there's much you can do in this case.