Dive and roll animation

Started by AgentX_003, June 14, 2009, 02:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think the dive and roll animation is fine ?

Yes
11 (52.4%)
No
1 (4.8%)
Needs improvement
9 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 21

neth

Agent, I would advise you to think twice before opening such shitty thread next time.

Let's assume animator who did this roll animation reads the topic and gets frustrated that his work is being called "shitty" although he does it for free. I wonder who is going to do the animations after he decides to leave because of the lack of basic respect.
We're gonna wait another 6 months before we find another animator while you will keep saying that the game is never going to be released.
I mean, this isn't even beta. I now see the reason why things, before being done completely, shouldn't be showed to the public.
Be patient. Spekkio, your inability to understand simple things is appalling. Stop being ignorant fag and give some support instead of complaining all the fucking time.

And for fuck sake, stop starting such gay topics...

Gawain

yeah, it's totally unproductive and respectless to call them "shitty". my apologies to the animation guy for this flamer-community.

goodkebab

You have to take into consideration that we got people sleeping 5hrs a night,  working on weekends or vacation time, during lunch break at work,  etc et so they can work on this project.  The developers are the ones making sacrifices to get this thing out, and if the community is not going to respect that....the cold reality is that people on the development team are going to quit.  When that happens,  the mod will never finish.

AgentX_003

Quote from: goodkebab on June 15, 2009, 11:43:10 AM
You have to take into consideration that we got people sleeping 5hrs a night,  working on weekends or vacation time, during lunch break at work,  etc et so they can work on this project.  The developers are the ones making sacrifices to get this thing out, and if the community is not going to respect that....the cold reality is that people on the development team are going to quit.  When that happens,  the mod will never finish.

ok I feel now very terrible for making this thread ,ive just been going on based upon what feedback ive been seeing , to every individual I inspire hope to by showing this wonderful mod, I don't want people to quit.

it's just that , well some people out of  645 people on my xfire , all tell me  the same thing of , its great but it needs work, so that's why well, frvge said it's staying and what not but to make a poll to vote on it. ....... like me myself, after watching videos on a real dive and roll, like all the motion is there but ud have to view it frame by frame, well which i did of course when I was bored one day.

To david i sincerely applogize  as well. , delete this if you want =/ , but at the same time I know unlike others yes its only alpha and anything can change then, and I totally do respect the time and dedication
unlike some people ive ran into in the past who have that negative , skeptical mind set.

-Thanks Murdy for da Sig <3  xD

Spekkio

QuoteI think it's kinda egocentric to always want things done your way, even when it's bad for the whole project. Of course, we'll improve when we have the time. But to spend time on a dive that's more than good enough is nitpicking.
QuoteSpekkio, your inability to understand simple things is appalling. Stop being ignorant fag and give some support instead of complaining all the fucking time.
Have you idiots checked the poll? Half the people think the animations need to be improved. That's not just me being egocentric.

I understand that you want to finish this project, but you also want people to play the game when you're done. The FIRST thing they're going to see is the graphics and presentation. If the animations suck, you're already fighting an uphill battle.

QuoteYou have to take into consideration that we got people sleeping 5hrs a night,  working on weekends or vacation time, during lunch break at work,  etc et so they can work on this project.  The developers are the ones making sacrifices to get this thing out, and if the community is not going to respect that....the cold reality is that people on the development team are going to quit.  When that happens,  the mod will never finish.
And the devs need to accept the fact that 1) you all chose to undertake this project and 2) working on it on your spare time or not, people are going to hold you to standards.

frvge

You think the current animation is shit then? I think it surpasses the CT one by far. Sure, it might not be 100% realistic, but if you take into account armor/spine protectors, it's still good.

Our standards are high, FFS a PROF doing the anims, but we aren't risking the process of the mod to make everything up to your way-too-high standards.

I can tell David to stop making anims, and then we'll see PS finished in 2015. Do you want that?
I can of course ask David to spend some time finetuning the dive after the rest of the animations are done.

As always: constructive criticism is good, nitpicking on details, especially when the team thinks its good already, is NOT and is annoying as a mother-in-law ("omg fishnets, omg las0r eyez, omg his left pinkie is too big, omg the breathing animation is not 100% accurate with the breathing of a real human").

oh... it was pre-alpha footage too... How funny that you nitpicking people didn't see the lower leg intersecting the upper leg in the crouch-pose. That has been fixed already FYI ;). (the low-res on ModDB is a bit shitty, but still it's visible if you watch closely)

I'm a bit disappointed in your limited point of view Spekkio, especially when we emphasize everything can and most likely will be improved later. Just dont expect a new dive until we're past the beta-stage (= around november maybe). That is, if David still wants to help after this.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

AgentX_003

Quote from: frvge on June 15, 2009, 07:20:04 PM
You think the current animation is shit then? I think it surpasses the CT one by far. Sure, it might not be 100% realistic, but if you take into account armor/spine protectors, it's still good.

Our standards are high, FFS a PROF doing the anims, but we aren't risking the process of the mod to make everything up to your way-too-high standards.

I can tell David to stop making anims, and then we'll see PS finished in 2015. Do you want that?
I can of course ask David to spend some time finetuning the dive after the rest of the animations are done.

As always: constructive criticism is good, nitpicking on details, especially when the team thinks its good already, is NOT and is annoying as a mother-in-law ("omg fishnets, omg las0r eyez, omg his left pinkie is too big, omg the breathing animation is not 100% accurate with the breathing of a real human").

oh... it was pre-alpha footage too... How funny that you nitpicking people didn't see the lower leg intersecting the upper leg in the crouch-pose. That has been fixed already FYI ;). (the low-res on ModDB is a bit shitty, but still it's visible if you watch closely)

I'm a bit disappointed in your limited point of view Spekkio, especially when we emphasize everything can and most likely will be improved later. Just dont expect a new dive until we're past the beta-stage (= around november maybe). That is, if David still wants to help after this.

ok with what your sayin thus far, your expressing that david is gunna leave because of this thread :/ ?

well I really don't want such good talent to leave this team, and once again i feel bad and i do sincerly appologize to david

Farley4Fan

Ugh... More realism debates.

Spekkio

QuoteYou think the current animation is shit then? I think it surpasses the CT one by far. Sure, it might not be 100% realistic, but if you take into account armor/spine protectors, it's still good.
I disagree. I think it's plainly obvious that the animator made the animations so that people would say "wow, look how cool that is." Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. Animations should be so natural that the untrained eye (ie, me) doesn't even notice them.

And honestly, you all need to stop threatening the people who visit this forum that people will leave the project if they say anything negative about the work you present. I really couldn't care less if "David" leaves the project, considering he hasn't done a good job so far, and if he's going to go cry because someone on a forum didn't like his work then he needs to grow a pair of balls.

Put it this way: Kebab likes to play a martyr so much about how he's devoting his free time to this project. You think it hurts because people on a forum criticize work; how do you think they'll feel if they release the mod and nobody plays it?

frvge

Well, I think we'll have to agree to disagree then. I hope we'll have another dive animation later, which would suit your ideas better, but I can't predict the future. Let's just wait and hope we can nail that one too ;) For now the current one will have to do.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Ion.67

I agree with spekkio. You are making this mod because Ubi didn't listen. So now when the community adds input you get defensive and say that it hurts feelings. Get over it. I am not saying change it now or change it later. Do whatever you want. Just remember that this is made because we were sick of the Ubi support system.

I guess you are right though. I can't make a better animation so I shouldn't have any input. My bad.

frvge

You aren't reading my post ffs, you're only seeing what you WANT to see. READ IT. geez.

Locked till everyone has read my post. Which means 1 day.

goodkebab

You need to understand the creative process, which all artists and game studios experience.

UBI postponed convictions a couple years just to improve on the product.

This is no different for us,  we create assets and dont know what the final product looks like till much later in the production.

First priority is getting things done, first.  Blocking things in,  regardless of how good they are.  At this stage, its enough for the rest of the pipeline to progress.  An animation may be bad, but its enough for the programmer to work with in order to integrate into the engine.

Once we see how the things look in the engine, we can better judge on what to tweak.

The vids you saw,  are the first time even I saw them integrated into the engine.  

We do take the criticisms seriously,  but its like whipping a horse that cant run any faster.  We already know what needs to be improved.

Wh1tE_Dw4rF

Finish the raw product first, then polish it. As soon as you have the basics done you have all the time to concentrate on the small things to fine tune.

Whoever comes up with the idea that an alpha footage is final has no clue whatsoever. The footage is a teaser, like a hot chick showing some skin to tease. You must be really pro to figure out how she performs in bed just by that. And since you probably can't do it as good as most of the current modders, be happy about what they do.

Perhaps make the next tick tock a joke just to piss all those nitpicks off?

AgentX_003

Quote from: goodkebab on June 15, 2009, 11:03:06 PM
You need to understand the creative process, which all artists and game studios experience.

UBI postponed convictions a couple years just to improve on the product.

This is no different for us,  we create assets and dont know what the final product looks like till much later in the production.

First priority is getting things done, first.  Blocking things in,  regardless of how good they are.  At this stage, its enough for the rest of the pipeline to progress.  An animation may be bad, but its enough for the programmer to work with in order to integrate into the engine.

Once we see how the things look in the engine, we can better judge on what to tweak.

The vids you saw,  are the first time even I saw them integrated into the engine.  

We do take the criticisms seriously,  but its like whipping a horse that cant run any faster.  We already know what needs to be improved.

I totally agree with kebab on that last point   * bows *