Project Stealth Epoxy Camera

Started by B1nArY_001, October 22, 2007, 05:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B1nArY_001

I saw some posts regarding the camera so I thought I would give you guys a peek at it. These shots are using high resolution textures that will be reduced due to the incredibly small size of the model. The name Epoxy Camera is by no means set in stone, it is just what I chose to call it as I was working on it. The cone on the back is for the same reason it was done in CT, it allows the camera back to sit nearly flush with the wall and when shot near a corner or and edge there is no fancy backing to overhang the geometry.

After some research I discovered there are oxygen activated epoxies that set in 100ths of a second so the theory behind adhesion is the end has a membrane filled with the epoxy that bursts on impact adhering to the surface. The angle it can be shot at and still adhere (Based on real life) would be about 72 degrees which is better than a spike or leg clamp system can achieve. Not perfect, but good enough. The angle in the game will of course not be restricted to the real life specifications of the device.

Succubus Dryad Of The Undying Comet

Farley4Fan

Gawain

nice. though maybe the landing cone should be rounded down for a larger adhesion surface.

B1nArY_001

Quote from: Gawain on October 22, 2007, 06:47:42 PM
nice. though maybe the landing cone should be rounded down for a larger adhesion surface.

When it is on the wall the cone will be buried in the wall so you wont see it. The reason for this is so that if it lands on a corner you wont see part of the bulb overhanging the edge. The original concept had the epoxy filled membrane but for practical purposes (and the fact you wont see it) it was left off the real time model.

neth

Daybreak

Well, there we go.
I think from now on I'll just leave it to the pros.

frvge

Hehe, we had the WiPs for a short time already before you started your thread. But I didn't say anything, so we could see the comments it would get :p ;D
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Vega

reason3d

imo the lens housing should be more flexible , how is it supposed to pan ?

and please for the love of God dont make it rotate around the stick part like in CT ... it looked likee a retarded maggot stuck to the wall .

B1nArY_001

It rotates on the ball joint in the center.

reason3d

thats not a ball joint , thats an optimized and cruddy looking cylinder . better luck next time

Farley4Fan

Think about my design for the camera landing gear.  Possibly a semi sphere with landing spikes, goo, or whatever with a ball joint connected to it that allows the camera to rotate, the rest of your design is good imo.

B1nArY_001

The model is so small that adding another edge loop to better define the ball joint wasn't worth the extra polys. When the model isn't lit so brightly lit and by lights from so many directions as in the screen shots, the normal map does its job and gives the joint a much rounder appearance. Not to mention the majority of the join is hidden in the backside of the fore portion of the model when the camera is aimed straight.

Quote from: Papa Skull on October 26, 2007, 06:25:41 AM
Think about my design for the camera landing gear.  Possibly a semi sphere with landing spikes, goo, or whatever with a ball joint connected to it that allows the camera to rotate, the rest of your design is good imo.

If you go back a few posts you will see why the "landing gear" is shaped the way it is.

Farley4Fan

Yeah but I see no way that it would rotate whatsoever.  IMO, it needs a ball joint, but I'll get over it.