Something that would make this game the ultimate entertainment interface

Started by WafflesNSyrup, January 11, 2011, 05:44:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DreadStunLock

I so agree, you guys definitely should hire a commentator or a good speaker for your tournaments, maybe Rambo will do it :P He seems to be PS closest person that is not a developer :P

tigaer

Idea:

Rotating player slots. Say you're playing a normal 2v2 match, but with 10 people in the lobby. 4 people are randomly chosen to play at the beginning of the match, and when one person dies, the next player in line is selected and they get to play for 1 life. Kind of like Duel from UT, where people are "in line" and when one of the active players die, he's sent to the back of the line and next person respawns in his place. This would work better for gametypes like Deathmatch, or even a new gametype designed specifically for this.

This way, spectating is exciting for all the players, because most likely they will be able to play sooner or later. They all get to chat and hang out while they're in the "waiting room" watching the active players and laughing at their mistakes. I do this all the time on UT and Halo, and it's really fun for just chill games.

Not like I don't already like the idea of spectating in a normal match, because I love watching good players on CoD, UT and Halo, and I'd definitely use it in PS when I really don't feel like playing but want to watch, instead of searching on YouTube for shitty gameplay, ya know? Of course spectating can be locked or turned off for ranked/serious matches and what not to discourage cheating via a third party voice program and that sort of thing.

puuusianka

Ofc they wouldn't be divided into some kind of teams in the waiting-room right? No matter which team partner dies the Next players are chosen from all 10 ppl, right? If so the idea is good even great.

But still what if we have noobie who is waiting im the vent whole game.

DreadStunLock

This would actually remind the good times of Star Wars Knight: Jedi Academy/Jedi Outcast, where you were able to create duel matches.

Cronky

I like this idea.

ADD IT TO THE LIST!!!

Another game type! Plus I just keep thinking of how much it makes sense in the context of the game. One spy/merc dies, another different spy/merc shows up to replace them. Just makes it sound even more LEGIT.

That, tournament commentary, and PT Sabotage and I'll probably never stop playing this game. ;)
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------
xFire:Cronkbot | Steam:Cronky

DreadStunLock

Except, DM really needs to be a bit more special than just adding spectators into the game.

knooger

DreadStunLock

If they "Fuk DM" then the Project won't really be alive as SCCT, haven't you noticed versus is alive only because of DM and few story servers? It may suck, but they still make a bit of money out of that.

knooger

Quote from: DreadStunLock on January 15, 2011, 08:54:04 PM
If they "Fuk DM" then the Project won't really be alive as SCCT, haven't you noticed versus is alive only because of DM and few story servers? It may suck, but they still make a bit of money out of that.
Not DM makes game alive, CT is dead even with DM, so it doesn't really matter.
They have to work on better/more important things, DM shouldn't exist in SvM

Cronky

Quote from: KnoogeR on January 15, 2011, 09:57:57 PM

blah blah blah. It's going to be in there anyway. Why? Cause I assume 99% of the work is already done for them when it comes to making a "Deathmatch" mode. You already lose the round if you lose all your lives regardless of the mode. DM is just taking out the objectives.

Now if they go and make deathmatch unique somehow then there might be a little bit of work ahead of them, but most of what made DM different than Story in CT was simply:

-Lack of Objectives

-Mode specific map elements*

*Not ALL the devs would be working on making a map for DM. A mapper with a good knowledge of this Kismet thing sounds like all that's needed. Plus whoever s/he wants to drag in to make special things (new textures/objects/etc). There doesn't even have to be any Dev members at all, because the community is going to have access to all these things to create their own maps.

Whether you personally like DM or not, it'd be dumb of them to not put it in when people obviously played it. Looks better to have more modes anyway.
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------

knooger

Quote from: Cronky on January 15, 2011, 10:30:14 PM
Quote from: KnoogeR on January 15, 2011, 09:57:57 PM

blah blah blah. It's going to be in there anyway. Why? Cause I assume 99% of the work is already done for them when it comes to making a "Deathmatch" mode. You already lose the round if you lose all your lives regardless of the mode. DM is just taking out the objectives.

Now if they go and make deathmatch unique somehow then there might be a little bit of work ahead of them, but most of what made DM different than Story in CT was simply:

-Lack of Objectives

-Mode specific map elements*

*Not ALL the devs would be working on making a map for DM. A mapper with a good knowledge of this Kismet thing sounds like all that's needed. Plus whoever s/he wants to drag in to make special things (new textures/objects/etc). There doesn't even have to be any Dev members at all, because the community is going to have access to all these things to create their own maps.

Whether you personally like DM or not, it'd be dumb of them to not put it in when people obviously played it. Looks better to have more modes anyway.
But how sad it would be if DM would be the ''main'' gamemode in PS? :)
I hope people in PS more people will play Story, CT is dead just because of DM atm.
Newbie come to game and play in easiest gamemode and after some time he got bored of it and uninstall game. That's one of many things which ruining CT in these times, another one are cheats.

Cronky

Just because you don't add a DM mode doesn't mean everyone is just going to go, "Oh, well then I guess I'll just have to play Story". If someone doesn't like what's offered in Story Mode, and it's the only thing offered, they will just move on to another game.

With that in mind CT isn't dead because of DM. It's dead because no one plays anymore, and on a unrelated note a (seemingly) majority of those that still do play would rather play DM.

DM though will never be the "MAIN" mode of the game. Everyone knows that the game is set up for the objective based gameplay. Spies hack this, Mercs defend that. Story mode is Story mode because it goes with the fictional "Story" of the game. Deathmatch is always going to be the offshoot of that mode that just takes the rules away and tells you to kill each other.

It's all going to be dependent on how varied the story mode is in PS that will deem whether it's played the most. Otherwise people will just default to DM because it's easy to understand, easy to get into, and it's something that everyone knows how to play even if they've never played the game before.
-----------------------

puuusianka

Quote from: Cronky on January 15, 2011, 11:34:54 PM
Just because you don't add a DM mode doesn't mean everyone is just going to go, "Oh, well then I guess I'll just have to play Story". If someone doesn't like what's offered in Story Mode, and it's the only thing offered, they will just move on to another game.

With that in mind CT isn't dead because of DM. It's dead because no one plays anymore, and on a unrelated note a (seemingly) majority of those that still do play would rather play DM.

DM though will never be the "MAIN" mode of the game. Everyone knows that the game is set up for the objective based gameplay. Spies hack this, Mercs defend that. Story mode is Story mode because it goes with the fictional "Story" of the game. Deathmatch is always going to be the offshoot of that mode that just takes the rules away and tells you to kill each other.

It's all going to be dependent on how varied the story mode is in PS that will deem whether it's played the most. Otherwise people will just default to DM because it's easy to understand, easy to get into, and it's something that everyone knows how to play even if they've never played the game before.

I understand Knooger. Why? Because he loves this game and he wants everyone to feel it the same way he does. He can have a word on the subject of DM and noob players who are connected deeply with this game type since he does own everyone in every gametype (No Agent, don't tell me another story from your book of legends and myths, same to you Mazen wherever you are...).
Now I believe the dm mode will be implemented since it can be enjoyable and breaks the fear of getting close to mercenaries at least in the begining.
CT DM was very very very very boring. It was even more interesting with alternate but then again in fight 2vs2 mercs would statistically win most of the games. I hope PS just won't screw it up to the lvl when it will be boring. It can be unbalanced but should not be boring. 

Cronky

Quote from: puuusianka on January 15, 2011, 11:51:07 PM
It can be unbalanced but should not be boring. 

...There's something wrong here...

but I can't figure out the words to correct it. ;)
-----------------------