Co-creating a new theme, part 1

Started by frvge, June 13, 2011, 01:32:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DreadStunLock

Just out of curiosity, how major? What you can do now that you couldn't back then?

frvge

it's a major version upgrade. That's all you should know. If you want to know the technical details, visit the SMF site yourself.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Cronky

I couldn't get my head around the changelog. Mostly because I don't like reading straight up .txt documents.

What I can gather though is that the upgrade includes many things about security and compatibility. 1.x to 2.x doesn't change a lot of things visually (though I'm liking my account being in the upper left hand corner. Picture and all), but it allows for further modification than 1.x. It's like going from Vista to Windows 7. Sure there were some new fancy features, but mostly it was just optimizing the OS and other such things that you don't actually see firsthand.

Here's a link to the changelogs for 2.0 (be warned, it's a .txt document filled with a boatload of text that may only be relevant if you know a bit about the intricacies of their forums and associated problems/bugs)

Here's a Features List for SMF Forums.

http://custom.simplemachines.org/ has a plethora of mods and themes that people have made. Make sure to look near the bottom of each of those pages to find the link to those that are compatible with SMF 2.0.

The themes section might be a good place as reference for people to go that don't know where to start with this whole "Sketch out a theme" idea. Note that while the colors are a big part of the overall theme (in my eyes), images such as: Logo, No New Replies, and New Replies can be replaced with more PS related things. On top of background image and whatnot. Also, unless I'm mistaken, small layout changes can be made, though the layout is already easy to navigate so it's unlikely that there will be any change needed in that area.

http://www.jpr62.com/demos/ another reference site that actually shows off what some themes look like implemented. Drop down box at the top has the list of themes it can show.

aaaand that's all I've looked at thus far.
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------
xFire:Cronkbot | Steam:Cronky

DreadStunLock

Quote from: Cronky on June 15, 2011, 01:30:17 AM
I couldn't get my head around the changelog. Mostly because I don't like reading straight up .txt documents.

What I can gather though is that the upgrade includes many things about security and compatibility. 1.x to 2.x doesn't change a lot of things visually (though I'm liking my account being in the upper left hand corner. Picture and all), but it allows for further modification than 1.x. It's like going from Vista to Windows 7. Sure there were some new fancy features, but mostly it was just optimizing the OS and other such things that you don't actually see firsthand.

Here's a link to the changelogs for 2.0 (be warned, it's a .txt document filled with a boatload of text that may only be relevant if you know a bit about the intricacies of their forums and associated problems/bugs)

Here's a Features List for SMF Forums.

http://custom.simplemachines.org/ has a plethora of mods and themes that people have made. Make sure to look near the bottom of each of those pages to find the link to those that are compatible with SMF 2.0.

The themes section might be a good place as reference for people to go that don't know where to start with this whole "Sketch out a theme" idea. Note that while the colors are a big part of the overall theme (in my eyes), images such as: Logo, No New Replies, and New Replies can be replaced with more PS related things. On top of background image and whatnot. Also, unless I'm mistaken, small layout changes can be made, though the layout is already easy to navigate so it's unlikely that there will be any change needed in that area.

http://www.jpr62.com/demos/ another reference site that actually shows off what some themes look like implemented. Drop down box at the top has the list of themes it can show.

aaaand that's all I've looked at thus far.

That's exactly why I asked him xD

I can't understand any of that blah-blah-blah uber site upgradez :(

Cronky

Well Dread, now you have a bunch of links to look over! I'm waiting on your new forum theme now that you know the "rules". ;)
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------

DreadStunLock

One thing I will say thank you for, is the new rating system of every person, I know for the fact I will get a smite up to 100 :) But hey, at least we will know now who is more bullshit, and who is not.

Cronky

My question is whether there is an actual repercussion to having a certain amount of smite or not.
-----------------------

DreadStunLock

To be honest, I think there should be a smite or applaud on the posts, rather than on the profile, if you post something good, you have a button just below to rate the post and that adds up to your profile too.

CurdyMilk

Quote from: DreadStunLock on June 16, 2011, 01:28:18 AM
To be honest, I think there should be a smite or applaud on the posts, rather than on the profile, if you post something good, you have a button just below to rate the post and that adds up to your profile too.
It does make more sense to applaud/smite specific posts instead of the profile.  But if you smite someone's post because you disagree with their opinion, they shouldn't get their reputation penalized.  Maybe like/dislike and applaud/smite could be separate features?

DreadStunLock

Absolutely, forcing someone to give a reason for an applaud or a smite should be enforced. And only allow to Smite someones post if it's close to be a generic Agent/My 'typical' type of a post or applaud if it's a Cronk/Farley type of a post :p

Zedblade

Forcing people to give a reason would make the whole ordeal of rating someone laborious, resulting in hardly anyone ever actually using it. However if it matter so much to you maybe there can be a area in your control panel that lists the users that have smited/applauded you and if you are so inclined could try to contact them and get them to take it back. If that feature is possible.

Adding a like and not like to separate posts is just redundant.

As for what it does overall, obviously we need to setup some sort of leveling system with PS related names. (Agent, Informant and whatever else.) That wouldn't just be a indication on uberness, but also depending on you 'level' would grant you first looks at new maps/betas and what not.

Farley4Fan

I really love the possibilities that all this applauding and smiting can bring.  Smite wars anyone?   

DreadStunLock

Smite wars? Definitely not, Frvge banned me once already, wasn't nice...wasn't nice :D

frvge

Quote from: Farley4Fan on June 16, 2011, 03:44:05 AM
I really love the possibilities that all this applauding and smiting can bring.  Smite wars anyone?
Severely disrupting the forums will get you a server-wide IP ban. Seeing as this will probably also be the Master Server... not a good idea.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Farley4Fan

Well, I could balance it out.  12 smites a day against the opposing team, and 12 applaud's a day directly toward frvge so that I don't get banned.  Problem solved?  Frvge, well all know you're a sucker for bribes.   :-X

(I also like the new smilies)
Favorite:  :o
Probably the most effective one:  :-[ (he looks super sad)
Maybe for the new site we could get someone to make some custom smilies?