Post Ideas for appearance of vision modes.

Started by goodkebab, September 07, 2007, 10:29:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farley4Fan

I love Goodkebab's idea of ambient occlusion with no textures.  What if the faster a spy moved, the more the textures and colors would be visible on him?  If he is running, a black and greenish spy would stick out like a sore thumb in a gray atmosphere.  I believe that the minimum speed in which a spy is walking to be detected on motion tracker, is full speed while crouching.

monterto

the mt concept is really sweet, especially the louder/brighter you are the faster you move. but it is still scary as hell
http://sc2sig.com/s/us/329891-1.png[/img][/url]
Click to view my detailed stats![/url]

iservealot

Quote from: MR.Mic on September 08, 2007, 01:05:27 AM

The noise and the hexagon patterns are both just simple overlay textures.
The only filter needed is a blur pass.

CleanRender -> BlurPass -> HexOverlay -> NoiseOverlay

Seems easy enough. I like MICs idea.

Westfall

I like your idea Mic. Suggestion: Is it possible to make the spy fade in and out of the MT in correspondence to whatever speed the spy is going? That would make most sense. Slow walk shows a faded few with the MT showing no spy right away when he is completely stopped. When your spy stops in the demo, is stays on him for a sec and then turns off, yet he is still lit up quite brightly for being stopped. I think based on the spy's speed he is going should determine how lit up he is.

MR.Mic

Quote from: Westfall-US on September 08, 2007, 09:09:51 AM
I like your idea Mic. Suggestion: Is it possible to make the spy fade in and out of the MT in correspondence to whatever speed the spy is going? That would make most sense. Slow walk shows a faded few with the MT showing no spy right away when he is completely stopped. When your spy stops in the demo, is stays on him for a sec and then turns off, yet he is still lit up quite brightly for being stopped. I think based on the spy's speed he is going should determine how lit up he is.

That's the idea. The spy will be instantly invisible if he's not highlighted by MT yet. If the spy is highlighted by MT, it will take a second to disappear after he moves below the detection threshold, just like how MT is now.

It wont look exactly like what I did in 3d studio, because that's just an animation with keyframes to control material opacity and such. The animation is just to give an idea of the look I'd like this to shoot for.
[size=2]Lead Visual Effects Artist - Advanced Materials, Particles, and Post-Process Effects
Website: http://studentpages.scad.edu/~ctripp20/index.htm][/size]

Gui Brazil

I find the one where the spy leaves something like a dark trail behind him to be the best out of all.

goodkebab

I would really like to see ghost trail effect (air disturbance)....And the idea of using green against red is a wicked idea when MT is set off.  Doing  a lock using a box is optional i guess,  but things that are tracked by MT need to be instantly recognizable.  Also,  why not make it a glowing green silohuette of the character instead of shaded version just for the sake of appearance.

I suggested adding normal maps only and shadows merely for aethetics.    Normal mapping is to give illusion of depth where there is none...take that away and your going to see only flat boxes and planes.

Shadows,  can still be there in order to increase visual depth and volume of the map,  if you are literally making the spy transparent,  then it should not matter.  Also, take away shadows and mercs will still use MT for nightvision to navigate map.

Anyone have the movie predator and want to post a video clip of the MT?

Gawain

i like the idea, because it makes mt what it is meant to do: detect motion, and not stationary spies (especially in the dark). i also like the ghost trail effect.
i really think it should detect crouching spies, too. and it should work with no delay.
the really tricky thing will be finding the right radius...

MR.Mic

Quote from: goodkebab on September 08, 2007, 02:26:07 PM
take away shadows and mercs will still use MT for nightvision to navigate map.

Which is a good thing since mercs can navigate easily, and still not be able to see spies.

It's like that in EMF, so why not MT?
[size=2]Lead Visual Effects Artist - Advanced Materials, Particles, and Post-Process Effects
Website: http://studentpages.scad.edu/~ctripp20/index.htm][/size]

InvisibleMan999

Quote from: MR.Mic on September 08, 2007, 05:58:17 PM

Which is a good thing since mercs can navigate easily, and still not be able to see spies.

Yeah, pretty much nobody cares if mercs can see the map in NV, they just don't want them to see spies that way.

Overstatement

A MT idea that both Invisible and Spekkio agree on?...???...I don't get it...

Gawain

Spekkio

Quote from: InvisibleMan999 on September 08, 2007, 06:53:19 PM
Quote from: MR.Mic on September 08, 2007, 05:58:17 PM

Yeah, pretty much nobody cares if mercs can see the map in NV, they just don't want them to see spies that way.
Yep, we actually agree here. Take away MT's NV capability or detection radius, and you are giving a large buff to aggro spies.

The problem with NV wasn't the fact that mercs could use it to navigate, but the fact that mercs could use it to detect spies hiding stationary in what ordinarilly would be a dark place. Mr.Mic's idea circumvents that.

Kebab,

I don't like the idea of a graphics trail the way Mr.Mic showed it in his presentation. While it would look cool, it would make it harder to aim at the spy. The purpose to using MT should be to clearly locate and identify spies so that you can kill them. A trail inhibits that.

Mic,

I still think camo should be somewhat of a moving counter to MT. The idea that "not moving counters MT" is a sound theory, but that's all it is. In reality, the spies have to move around or the time runs out. That's part of what makes MT so powerful to begin with.

InvisibleMan999

Quote from: Overstatement on September 08, 2007, 07:02:38 PM
A MT idea that both Invisible and Spekkio agree on?...???...I don't get it...

Yeah, I'm certainly the most confused, given that mic's idea seems like more of a heavier nerf to MT than any of the ones I've suggested.

I mean, his idea doesn't have 360 detection at all, and you become invisible when you're standing still.

But hey, I'm glad he likes it, since this one seems like it will probably make it into the game, and that'll be a really good thing.

Spekkio

QuoteI mean, his idea doesn't have 360 detection at all, and you become invisible when you're standing still.
Yes it does, so long as the spy is standing and running. Might have to add it for crouching and going quickly too, but we'll see.