Tick Tock (Lakehouse Teaser) complete

Started by frvge, April 24, 2008, 01:58:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyntrox

Quote from: goodkebab on June 03, 2008, 08:56:21 PMspy is still 100% black against 100% black shadow.
My very point is that there should be more 100% black spots in PS rather than 90% black spots.

As for the rest of what you said: True, but it is still a LOT easier to see the spy on high gamma.

VaNilla

As I kind of say in previous posts, Cyntrox is right, there isn't enough spots like that.

goodkebab

Cyntrox,   we are going to create maps that look good as they are ,  we cant effictively make good looking maps against people that intend to cheat.

We can only light maps for normal playing conditions. 

Gawain

well, you could make 95% shadow areas to 100% ones without any significant quality loss.

goodkebab

it doesnt really work like that, and as far I know UT probably does not support  lights that remove light  (cast negative light instead of normal light)

Lights have a fall off that creates soft shadows which we do not have control over.

This gradation  goes from  100% to 0% black  and we cannot control the rate of falloff. 

For game design purposes we have to light scenes in a way that allows both Spy and Merc to navigate the map without any flashlight or vision mode.  So darker shadows actually means less light and that becomes a design problem.

To do this requires breaking up areas.   So a dark corridor will have lights at the ends of the tunnels so that player knows where to go....and a light near any other doors.

And dont forget,  lighting is an art in itself....much like animation and programming.  Its not an easy thing to get looking good.

A

frvge

we cannot control the rate of falloff
a higher falloff exponent makes it falloff faster.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

goodkebab

MR.Mic

Quote from: goodkebab on June 05, 2008, 08:29:04 AM
and as far I know UT probably does not support  lights that remove light  (cast negative light instead of normal light)

You can have negative lights, but I highly recommend against using them.
[size=2]Lead Visual Effects Artist - Advanced Materials, Particles, and Post-Process Effects
Website: http://studentpages.scad.edu/~ctripp20/index.htm][/size]

Succubus Dryad Of The Undying Comet

Maybe instead of making negative lights, you can just play around with the normal lights radiuses?

MR.Mic

Quote from: Liqu1D_133 on June 05, 2008, 07:00:27 PM
Maybe instead of making negative lights, you can just play around with the normal lights radiuses?

Unreal doesn't calculate light bounces, so all shadows are 100% black if not in direct line of sight of another light. If there is only one light in a map, all shadows cast by that light will be pure black.
[size=2]Lead Visual Effects Artist - Advanced Materials, Particles, and Post-Process Effects
Website: http://studentpages.scad.edu/~ctripp20/index.htm][/size]

frvge

It depends if you have a non-blocking light to lighten up dark corners. So I guess we won't have those then :D problem solved.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.