Off-Topic-New Keyboard

Started by B1nArY_001, October 05, 2007, 09:32:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B1nArY_001

Ok so this is massively off-topic but as there is a good collection of gamers here and I wanted to get some feedback about the Logitech G-15. All the reviews are good but very limited beyond saying in essence "The macros rock! The LCD is cool!".

I am currently using a Razer Tarantula which provides excellent functionality but after about 6 months I have just not been able to get comfortable with the key layout and still to this day hit the wrong keys when I get in a jam. Any comments or recommendations would be welcome... Thanks!

Gawain

if i remember correctly you complained about off-topic stuff in this forum, so how about deleting this thread and post it on scl?
oh and for gods sake, why would anyone reasonable spend more than 20 bucks on a keyboard (razer and logitech fanboys any1)?

B1nArY_001

I didn't complain about off-topic stuff. I posted asking people not to FLAME and not to DE-RAIL a thread. This thread is specifically about the topic and in the public forum. Now if everyone has a major issue with this and feels I should not be asking the people who obviously play mostly the same game I do (I.E. Chaos Theory) then I would be more than happy to remove the thread.

LennardF1989

Quote from: Gawain on October 05, 2007, 10:48:34 PM
oh and for gods sake, why would anyone reasonable spend more than 20 bucks on a keyboard (razer and logitech fanboys any1)?

I did :P

It roxors :), what does? well:
- The backgroudn lighting (blue!, it's so good when gaming, in the full dark, and only the keys and your screen is lighten up, you can control intensity)
- the LCD screen (usefull in some games, but it's mostly in CPU tracking mode, in time mode or Media Player mode, though, it's very extendable... You can write addons for it in like any language - including vb6).
- The keys are softkeys (the feel real soft, unlike a regular keyboard).
- You have an anti-windows function switch (turn it on, and you will never WINDOW + D, or Alt+tab out of a game anymore).
- On-the-fly macro recording (total of 18*3 and every game/program can have hes own profile - with 18*3 keys to spare -).
- Media Key controls (can be used in a lot of media players)
- It has 2 USB ports in it (easy when need to plugin your USB stick).
- It's USB 2.0 (works on 1.0 and 1.1 aswell).
- You can put the hand-stance on it so you can rest your pulse/wrist on it.
- You can customize it to your needs with the easy-to-use software which has a good support.
- the 18 * 3 G-keys that can do anything you want (bind programs to it, profiles, macros, etc.).

A couple of downsides in my opinion:
- You have to cover it good at times you don't use it to prevent it from getting dusty (i use a regular towel).
- The keys (like any other keyboard) get dirty real quick, though, you can pop out all keys with a screwdriver to clean them with some Glasex (some kind of spray to clean almost everything) Note: I did this and I can confirm the keyboard still works 100% without any broken or ugly looking keys.
- Not a lot of games support the LCd, which is a shame (though, there is a good community for homebrew apps).
- Not all games allow the Sendmessage method they use for Macro's (though, you can bind a custom macro program to the keys so that it will use an other method).

Edit: There are 2 versions of the G15, one with blue lightninh (v1) and orange lightning (v2). I recommend choosing the v1, since it has more functionality (and its even cheaper than v2). You can see the difference here: http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_messages/1236843 (dutch forum, but its about the images)

Just my 2 cents.

Edit 2: Xfire has a plugin for the LCd, you can browse every msg that has been sended to you in the LCD.

Bionic-Blob

B1nArY_001

Wow... That's quite the mouthful Lennard! Thanks lol

Overstatement

Westfall

I have a G-15. I don't rub it with a towel tho. Don't need to. Have spilled water on it. Warranty saved me there. It works well. I don't use it for CT at all, but it does well for some other games. Its a nice keyboard man. I recommend.

LennardF1989

Quote from: Westfall-US on October 06, 2007, 07:41:18 AM
I have a G-15. I don't rub it with a towel tho. Don't need to. Have spilled water on it. Warranty saved me there. It works well. I don't use it for CT at all, but it does well for some other games. Its a nice keyboard man. I recommend.

Lol, I don't rub it with a towel, I put the towel over it at times I don't use it, so that the dust-collection is pulled to a minimum.

MulleDK19

LOL! Get a PS2 keyboard, instead of the crappy USBs..

USB = max 6 keys at once
PS2 = max 7 keys at once

(not all combinations)

With USB you are not able to play O2Mania! >.<
See me play that game here: http://www.treesoft.dk/o2mania :P

If my heart ever heals, I will make sure it'll never break again.

Bionic-Blob

you are joking right? all my old PS/2 keyboards could only get 3 keys at once max

how the hell can you press down 6 keys at once with one hand anyway?

MulleDK19

PS2 = max 7 keys at once

(not all combinations) <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Not all combinations! And it's not all keyboards... I've got a logitech access keyboard, which supports all 7 keys!

If my heart ever heals, I will make sure it'll never break again.

LennardF1989

Sigh... DEV FLAME WAR! :P

Please stay ontopic MulleDK13 on this kinda offtopic topic :P (lol 4 times the word 'topic' in one sentence :P Now 5 times...)

Gui Brazil

Quote from: LennardF1989 on October 06, 2007, 07:19:07 PM

Please stay ontopic MulleDK13 on this kinda offtopic topic :P (lol 4 times the word 'topic' in one sentence :P Now 5 times...)

3 on the same sentence.

Can this topic die now? :-*

LennardF1989

Quote from: Gui Brazil on October 06, 2007, 07:31:10 PM
Quote from: LennardF1989 on October 06, 2007, 07:19:07 PM

3 on the same sentence.

Can this topic die now? :-*

Lol, I miscounted ???

Nah, I like this Off-topic thread :P Everyone should read my review about the g15  :-*