Community Map: a recap of PS' challenges and Stage 1 of the map

Started by frvge, August 19, 2012, 12:08:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigaer

Quote from: frvge on August 21, 2012, 10:01:12 PM
Total disasters are so cliche, but it would be possible.

They're cliche because they make for awesome environments ;)

Cronky

The only problem I have with your level tigaer is that the Spy objective seems so tacked on. Even though the Merc objective is pretty vague, it fits. They are just guarding something.

In my head I'm imagining a version of Story mode that would make use of vague objectives. Imagine if Story mode wasn't just 1 map, but a pack of maps that are determined by who wins or loses the round. Start with a Neutral map. The idea of this map would be that both sides are trying to figure out who each other are (or that they are fighting for more information). Depending on who wins or loses then goes to a map more personalized for the group that lost (plus maybe geared more towards the losing team). To make the idea simple, we'll say there is only 3 maps in each pack (1 neutral map, 1 Spy centric map and 1 Merc centric map).

Spies lose, Mercs move onto "Spy base" map. Geared more towards Spies because it's their base. So more air ducts, maybe doors that only open to spies (so Mercs have to hack) and generally more places to hide. Something to give the Spies a little bit of a handicap. If the Spies lose then the "Story" ends. Mercs killed off the enemy. If the Spies win then everyone gets transferred to one of many neutral maps.

If Mercs lose neutral map, then Spies move on to "Merc Base" map. Like the "Spy Base", it is more geared towards Mercs. Doorways opening to them, less air ducts, more environmental objects that need to be shut off to help spies (like how you have to hack the glass ceiling in Club House to gain easier access to Garden Room).

Maybe the Spy/Merc base maps are the only maps were Spy/Merc is able to switch weapons/gadgets mid-round. Since it is THEIR base.

Anyway, in the end, the Story mode always ends on 1 of 2 maps, but you have many "neutral" maps that consist of everything other map created by the community or devs.

If someone doesn't want to play Story mode, then there could just be the option to play Objective mode. Kind of the same as what Story mode is right now on CT. Pick a map, pick Objective(s) and play.
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------
xFire:Cronkbot | Steam:Cronky

Pusianka

too much emphasise on story guys, seriously it all comes down to making nice enviroments. Story will never be convincing, because spies are known for their abilities to infiltrate silently places that are filled with security guards and not just two dumbass mercs. Think of original places to play in.

The idea of packs of maps had gone through my head long ago cronky and even wanted to introduce it in SCCT but it was too late for the game or at least "I" stopped making maps ;P. Besides it's a very time consuming thing. Fiddleing with the idea I thought of rearrangeing one map into 3 games. It's a bit like sector based map but well more developed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHa_jqxnn4o

"- It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.
- Hit it."

tigaer

Quote from: Pusianka on August 25, 2012, 02:53:52 PM
too much emphasise on story guys, seriously it all comes down to making nice enviroments. Story will never be convincing, because spies are known for their abilities to infiltrate silently places that are filled with security guards and not just two dumbass mercs. Think of original places to play in.

The idea of packs of maps had gone through my head long ago cronky and even wanted to introduce it in SCCT but it was too late for the game or at least "I" stopped making maps ;P. Besides it's a very time consuming thing. Fiddleing with the idea I thought of rearrangeing one map into 3 games. It's a bit like sector based map but well more developed.

Though true in a sense; a good environment tells a story without an in-depth explanation.

knooger

Rocamadour for PS! including better map balance, FX and sounds!

TBH I would like to see State Union, Clarity Soft Inc. (So underrated map) and some tweaked Shadow Moshes :D

PS. Maps should be as neutral as possible overall - but some objectives should be harder for spy/merc or so. Pure Merc maps in CT was never really liked by anybody eg. Warehouse, Deftech, Station...

tigaer

Quote from: KnoogeR on August 25, 2012, 06:22:54 PM
Rocamadour for PS! including better map balance, FX and sounds!

TBH I would like to see State Union, Clarity Soft Inc. (So underrated map) and some tweaked Shadow Moshes :D

PS. Maps should be as neutral as possible overall - but some objectives should be harder for spy/merc or so. Pure Merc maps in CT was never really liked by anybody eg. Warehouse, Deftech, Station...

I was actually thinking of a State Union remake awhile ago, but of course fix some of the balance issues and maybe make it creep more towards the original design and flow I planned for it. I couldn't ever find the Sketchup I had for the original design, sadly. I think it got lost on an old PC that broke and I could never find anybody who still had it, and sadly none of the images were saved either and the site I hosted them on way back then is shut down now. Sad day...

frvge

It's funny and a bit disappointing to see that I only saw 2 brainstormed ideas here. I know it's been a bit dead lately, but still... Come on people, start posting more good stuff. Else we'll pick from the airport and fort knox.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

NeoSuperior

just to make sure: "Rocadamour" (sorry if misspelled) is a running remake project by pusianka (who created the original roca in SCCT also) that has nothing to do with this community map, right?

I am not very sure about the "airport" map, btw. If I think about it, it somehow resembles cinema (just in my imagination of course).
At the same time... Fort Knox would resemble bank though...

Damn! Can't we have a "PS-original" map for once? xD
If there are any orthographic/grammatical errors in this post, you can keep them and, if you want, hang them over your bed ;)

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."
- Mike Godwin

frvge

Pusianka can best answer any questions about Rocamadour. I have no further info on that.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Cronky

Title: Spy Base

Description: Base for the Spies. Merc's have decided to bring the war right to the Spy's front door.

OR

Title: Merc Base

Description: Merc's have been less than good at doing their job against the Spies. They've been pushed back to their base.

That's all I got for them. I'm not sure what kind of backstory is there for either side, so I'm not sure what the levels would actually look like.

(Is this set in the future? Are the Spies Robots!? Are the Mercs ROBOTS!?!?!?! Is it a problem that I hope there are some kind of robots?)
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------
xFire:Cronkbot | Steam:Cronky