Tick Tock (Lakehouse Teaser) complete

Started by frvge, April 24, 2008, 01:58:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ion.67

The merc looked...horrendous. What happened?

Zedblade

Quote from: Ion.67 on April 26, 2008, 01:28:33 AM
The merc looked...horrendous. What happened?

Low-Res textures. Remember, keep the video's 2nd opening sentence in mind.

The Merc may not look as good as he can, but it by no means looks horrendous. You are exaggerating.

Tidenburg

II couldn't really all of it because of the shading but I have two questions Zed, first, in the port room with the boat is there a staircase at the end of the upper walkway? Second, there is a closed door downstairs and another in the 3rd room you enter, do they open or are they just parts of the decor?

:edit:
And I agree with ion that map was actually beautiful to look at and then the spies and merc (moreso with the merc) looked so out of place, why not use the highest possible when you're showing a trailer?

Zedblade

Quote from: Tidenburg on April 26, 2008, 01:33:24 AM
II couldn't really all of it because of the shading but I have two questions Zed, first, in the port room with the boat is there a staircase at the end of the upper walkway? Second, there is a closed door downstairs and another in the 3rd room you enter, do they open or are they just parts of the decor?

:edit:
And I agree with ion that map was actually beautiful to look at and then the spies and merc (moreso with the merc) looked so out of place, why not use the highest possible when you're showing a trailer?

Yes there are stairs, and about 90% of the closed doors are only placeholder visual blockers so you couldn't see into unfinished parts of the map.

Edit:
The DEV team never mentioned it and I never thought about it. Seriously, it's not that big of a deal and wasn't something we would have fixed for a few second animation done specifically for the teaser.

In the End, it has more to do with texture popping then anything. I didn't give it enough time to let everything stream in before I started recording the video.

Farley4Fan

Omg...

That's all.

Not really.  It was awesome, but I wish you would have used the final merc/spy versions for the trailer.

Incredible work though, great job guys!!!

1 more thing!  I noticed that above the spy there were a few directional signs telling where certain parts of the map were.  Awesome.  Very noob friendly but not annoying for vets.  Also, in those directions, there was a sign pointing toward a theater/stage.  I'm guessing there will be some sort of stage then.  ;D  Can't wait to see that!

Zedblade

Quote from: Papa Skull on April 26, 2008, 01:38:20 AM
Not really.  It was awesome, but I wish you would have used the final merc/spy versions for the trailer.

That would be impossible, since there are no final spy/merc versions.

Farley4Fan

What?  Aren't the finished spies/finished merc models the final spies/mercs?  What more work needs to be done on them?  Just textures I presume?

Zedblade

Quote from: Papa Skull on April 26, 2008, 01:49:42 AM
What?  Aren't the finished spies/finished merc models the final spies/mercs?  What more work needs to be done on them?  Just textures I presume?

Having a final version in Maya, is not having a final version in Unreal.

Hyrage

Quote from: Zedblade on April 26, 2008, 01:52:55 AM
Quote from: Papa Skull on April 26, 2008, 01:49:42 AM

Having a final version in Maya, is not having a final version in Unreal.
May you tell us the difference?
http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/1015/achievement3zo3.jpg[/img]

"Video Games are art, but we don't play art, we play games."

frvge

The reason why the Spy and Merc look different, is because the glow of the Merc's visor isn't implemented in UT3 yet. There are some artifacts, but generally that's just small stuff. The Spy looks better in-game IMO. Probably has to do with the lighting, but Zed is the expert on that.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Hyrage

Quote from: frvge on April 26, 2008, 02:01:24 AM
The reason why the Spy and Merc look different, is because the glow of the Merc's visor isn't implemented in UT3 yet. There are some artifacts, but generally that's just small stuff. The Spy looks better in-game IMO. Probably has to do with the lighting, but Zed is the expert on that.
This is a really good point thought. Yeah I found the merc strange due to his visor lol. It's promising then ^^, good luck Zed.

Zedblade

The Merc's visor has nothing to do with the reason people are saying the Merc looks bad. They would have said the same thing about the Spy if you saw more of it. But since the Merc was front row center, it was more easily noticeable. Now that I look at it, I do notice the low-res textures on the body and figuring that out before hand would have helped. However, like the video says, this is pre-alpha and does not indicate final quality.

Vega

Hyrage

Quote from: Zedblade on April 26, 2008, 02:07:46 AM

The Merc's visor has nothing to do with the reason people are saying the Merc looks bad. They would have said the same thing about the Spy if you saw more of it. But since the Merc was front row center, it was more easily noticeable. Now that I look at it, I do notice the low-res textures on the body and figuring that out before hand would have helped. However, like the video says, this is pre-alpha and does not indicate final quality.
Hmm, it's my only reason lol, but as you said it's just a Pre-Alpha and it already looks gorgeous  ;D

< Zed, why have you changed your sig? >

Xris

Amazing, wish the grab was a lil longer, can't wait to see the rest of the map