1st Person Animation and Camera (Merc)

Started by Window, January 09, 2010, 03:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Window

Too many companies nowadays don't put anything into involving the camera with 1st person interaction with the players and environment.  The camera should reinforce the animations of the avatar's movements and interactions to give a more immersive experience to the player.  Even subtle changes in the camera make a world of difference. Without this, animations look too static no matter how well animated.

SCCT's mercs and the Metroid Prime games are solid examples of using strong animation and believable camera motions to imitate the movement of the whole body, and not just the viewpoint.

SCCT console version had another little feature I believe helped with the experience, the floating chrosshair. I liked this a lot, it gave more of a feeling that you were searching for something, shining your flashlight all over the screen.

This is what I have always loved about playing as a Merc in the PT/CT days, you felt like an unstoppable force. The gun you were lugging looked and felt immensely heavy while you are carrying or firing it, and tackling an opponent to the ground was never so satisfying as the jerk of the camera let you know you make contact (hopefully with him!).

Spark Mandriller

I'd take being able to turn around in under two seconds over feeling like an unstoppable force, tbh.

Savior20061

Quote from: Window on January 09, 2010, 03:05:26 PM
Too many companies nowadays don't put anything into involving the camera with 1st person interaction with the players and environment.  The camera should reinforce the animations of the avatar's movements and interactions to give a more immersive experience to the player.  Even subtle changes in the camera make a world of difference. Without this, animations look too static no matter how well animated.

SCCT's mercs and the Metroid Prime games are solid examples of using strong animation and believable camera motions to imitate the movement of the whole body, and not just the viewpoint.

SCCT console version had another little feature I believe helped with the experience, the floating chrosshair. I liked this a lot, it gave more of a feeling that you were searching for something, shining your flashlight all over the screen.

This is what I have always loved about playing as a Merc in the PT/CT days, you felt like an unstoppable force. The gun you were lugging looked and felt immensely heavy while you are carrying or firing it, and tackling an opponent to the ground was never so satisfying as the jerk of the camera let you know you make contact (hopefully with him!).

The floating (or drifting as I call it) crosshair probably wouldn't make aiming easier as opposed to a fixed one. I think the devs are sticking with the fixed crosshair.
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/7339/savsig2cp5.jpg[/img]
An upcoming novel by me.
Melonie from SC forums made this sig =D

Succubus Dryad Of The Undying Comet

Quote from: Savior20061 on January 09, 2010, 04:50:04 PM
The floating (or drifting as I call it) crosshair probably wouldn't make aiming easier as opposed to a fixed one. I think the devs are sticking with the fixed crosshair.
It didn't make much of a difference. I even find it harder to aim in CT, because the crosshair jumps all around when trying to rotate the view.

Window

@ Ambiguous Rocket-
This is about camera and animation, not turning speed. There is a thread already up about that topic.

And about the drifting/floating Crosshair, yeah, I completely agree with it not helping with anything. I was stating that the way the flashlight moved about made it feel like you were frantically searching.

I still stand by my other statements though, I really think that camera movement is important to the feel of playing a merc.