OMG where's the new stuff?

Started by frvge, July 12, 2011, 10:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wh1tE_Dw4rF

I would like to see a slight mobility increase for the merc. A merc should be able to climb up obstacles that are lower than his waist. I'm thinking of small boxes/crates for one. Most of the boxes from say Warehouse (SC:CT) could be reached by jumping on the stair railing and then jump on the crate. That's a lot of hassle just to get on top of a small box.

Other thing such as railings should be able to be jumped over. Not climbing up just quickly jumping over it. Of course if the drop is too high a merc will have to man up for a second before able to walk again.

I personally think the most important moves and abilities are already in the game. Giving more moves to either the spy or merc will only make things complicated and situational. Realistically, how many times will you find time to disable a camera by coop? The idea is great but for a fast paced game as SvM it just won't make that much a difference. On the other hand, there will be some moves that could really be a great addition but those will probably be found out once we get to play.

Perhaps if they decide to put in achievements, things like situational moves could be implemented but otherwise they shouldn't focus on a once per 100 rounds move.

DreadStunLock

I also think there should be a way to counter security defenses.

Laser: Running roll or whatever it's called.

Security Camera: Camo-suit?

Pressence detector: Slow walk

Cause it's so stupid, that the Camo-suit is being picked up by the security cameras. Also, camo-suit should in fact counter lasers, since most of the camo-suit concept is the fact that the camo suit bends the light. (Note, it works on DX:HR <3)

Zedblade

Quote from: DreadStunlock on July 14, 2011, 08:49:25 PM

Cause it's so stupid, that the Camo-suit is being picked up by the security cameras. Also, camo-suit should in fact counter lasers, since most of the camo-suit concept is the fact that the camo suit bends the light. (Note, it works on DX:HR <3)

I don't think a camo suit would get through lasers. Lasers require you to bounce the beam back exactly, which is why mirrors 'work'.  A camo suit would bounce it back any number of ways. I guess. I have no idea.

CurdyMilk

Quote from: Justus on July 15, 2011, 05:23:35 AM
I don't think a camo suit would get through lasers. Lasers require you to bounce the beam back exactly, which is why mirrors 'work'.  A camo suit would bounce it back any number of ways. I guess. I have no idea.
I agree.  Maybe passing security cameras would be legitimate, but definitely not lasers.  Camo suit would become very powerful.

Speaking of mirrors, I think it would be cool to have them in PS.  Is it possible to have angled mirrors allowing you to see things out of your view?

DreadStunLock

Quote from: CurdyMilk on July 15, 2011, 07:25:25 AM
I agree.  Maybe passing security cameras would be legitimate, but definitely not lasers.  Camo suit would become very powerful.

Speaking of mirrors, I think it would be cool to have them in PS.  Is it possible to have angled mirrors allowing you to see things out of your view?

Ehhhh, Curdy the spies can already see that, we can see around 360 view by moving our mouse and we don't even need to move our character for that. Unless I miss the point.

Quote from: DreadStunlock on July 14, 2011, 08:49:25 PM

I took that out of DX:HR, so maybe you are right, I dunno :D

CurdyMilk

Quote from: DreadStunlock on July 15, 2011, 12:19:11 PM

Ehhhh, Curdy the spies can already see that, we can see around 360 view by moving our mouse and we don't even need to move our character for that. Unless I miss the point.
LOL.  Of course!  But I'm talking about from longer distances.  i.e.  look down a hallway at an angled mirror that shows the view around the corner.  And now you say, "But Curdy, thats what an adhesive cam is for!"  But you don't always have them set up.  I am only thinking it would add some suspense if you are in a room and see some movement coming from a mirror somewhere.  Just a thought.

DreadStunLock

Quote from: CurdyMilk on July 15, 2011, 05:26:42 PM

LOL.  Of course!  But I'm talking about from longer distances.  i.e.  look down a hallway at an angled mirror that shows the view around the corner.  And now you say, "But Curdy, thats what an adhesive cam is for!"  But you don't always have them set up.  I am only thinking it would add some suspense if you are in a room and see some movement coming from a mirror somewhere.  Just a thought.

Aahh ok, so I did miss the point. That makes more sense.

You get my approved.

Cronky

Quote from: Wh1tE_Dw4rF on July 14, 2011, 08:45:46 PM
I would like to see a slight mobility increase for the merc. A merc should be able to climb up obstacles that are lower than his waist. I'm thinking of small boxes/crates for one. Most of the boxes from say Warehouse (SC:CT) could be reached by jumping on the stair railing and then jump on the crate. That's a lot of hassle just to get on top of a small box.

Other thing such as railings should be able to be jumped over. Not climbing up just quickly jumping over it. Of course if the drop is too high a merc will have to man up for a second before able to walk again.

I personally think the most important moves and abilities are already in the game. Giving more moves to either the spy or merc will only make things complicated and situational. Realistically, how many times will you find time to disable a camera by coop? The idea is great but for a fast paced game as SvM it just won't make that much a difference. On the other hand, there will be some moves that could really be a great addition but those will probably be found out once we get to play.

Perhaps if they decide to put in achievements, things like situational moves could be implemented but otherwise they shouldn't focus on a once per 100 rounds move.

I was just going to quote the Merc's climbing ability, but then I read on. I agree with everything said here.

Randomly reading other topics that were mostly brought up in 2007, there are a lot of things that would be great things that should be brought back up. Vega is already starting that whole process, but there is so much more. It'd be nice to come up with a list of topics that are worth looking over. Whether because of the initial idea, or the discussion that came from it.

Might just have to have Agent reach into his mind and yank out all the topics. He seems to have them memorized for some reason.
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------
xFire:Cronkbot | Steam:Cronky

puuusianka

I was tryin to place mirrors in ct - problems were:

1. The mercenaries didnt show up in the mirror(I assume UBI thinks all mercenaries are vampires...)
2. The mirrors couldn't reflect a mirror so when you were looking at the mirror in a mirror, you were seeing the default editor texture
3. Weird reflection angles!

I hope the awesome team will fix all that...

DreadStunLock

Quote from: puuusianka on July 15, 2011, 10:16:22 PM

I was tryin to place mirrors in ct - problems were:

1. The mercenaries didnt show up in the mirror(I assume UBI thinks all mercenaries are vampires...)
2. The mirrors couldn't reflect a mirror so when you were looking at the mirror in a mirror, you were seeing the default editor texture
3. Weird reflection angles!

Fix what?

Cronky

Quote from: puuusianka on July 15, 2011, 10:16:22 PM

Don't worry, I'll take care of this.

...Just don't expect any results. ;)
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------
xFire:Cronkbot | Steam:Cronky

Farley4Fan

While we are still kind of on the subject of mirrors, who is going to make a fun house full of hundreds upon hundreds of mirrors? - possibly some distorted mirrors for super scary moments!

I know it would probably insta-fry everybody's computer as soon as the game launches to the ridiculous amount of rendering taking place, but do it anyway.

Btw, will there be a quality checker for maps before they are downloadable or can I create some insta-fryers (like the funhouse described above, only with an innocent/misleading name) to jump start my cyber-terrorism career?

DreadStunLock

Quote from: Farley4Fan on July 16, 2011, 05:08:31 AM
While we are still kind of on the subject of mirrors, who is going to make a fun house full of hundreds upon hundreds of mirrors? - possibly some distorted mirrors for super scary moments!

I know it would probably insta-fry everybody's computer as soon as the game launches to the ridiculous amount of rendering taking place, but do it anyway.

Btw, will there be a quality checker for maps before they are downloadable or can I create some insta-fryers (like the funhouse described above, only with an innocent/misleading name) to jump start my cyber-terrorism career?

No way, I doubt it will take more rendering than BFBC2 or Crysis 2 on max settings :P

Vega

Quote from: Wh1tE_Dw4rF on July 14, 2011, 08:45:46 PM

QFE.  I guess the reason why Frvge and co. are looking for ideas is to freshen up the game and to visually differentiate it from Chaos Theory.  The Merc's charge and 360 spin are both vital and cover a lot of possibilities, so it's hard to come up with different moves that aren't already covered. 

Zed, the last move I posted was a one-button sequence.  No button combination would be necessary for it to work, the entire animation would happen once the special event criteria was met and after the player had hit the grab button.  That being said I definitely agree that it's reminiscent of spy vs spy.

DreadStunLock

Actually, while we are on the close matter, what are your options for jumping and delays?

Will you be able to jump after a charge or a berserk? Or is there going to be a quite a delay?