balancing of sticky cams

Started by Gawain, October 16, 2007, 11:48:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spekkio

Quote from: goodkebab on October 17, 2007, 01:45:46 PM
cams are NOT going to be changed
Get rid of "last cam" menu 'feature' plz. kthxbai.

Quotein my experience, 90% of games the spies win are decided by sticky cams.
Make jumping and grabbing more consistent, both in hit detection and KO time (for jumps), and that will change. Cams are the most reliable way to KO a merc as a client. That's quite ironic considering that they have a gadget for specifically negating cams.

goodkebab

Quote from: Spekkio on October 17, 2007, 02:18:45 PM
Quote from: goodkebab on October 17, 2007, 01:45:46 PM
cams are NOT going to be changed
Get rid of "last cam" menu 'feature' plz. kthxbai.

that one was a given!

and also the ability to setup a network of cams

InvisibleMan999

Honestly I feel like just making gas mask client side is enough of a change to nerf cams.

Half the problem with quick cams in my opinion comes with lag where you activate the gas mask, but still get KOed because it hasn't registered yet on the server.

Also if people wanted another slight nerf,they could divide them into two gadgets. Ambush cam and quick cam. The quick cam works like the PT camera, as soon as you exit the view, it disappears. The ambush cam works like the CT one but has a delay to prevent you from releasing gas instantly. So it's something you place down in anticipation of a merc coming that way.

Farley4Fan

Do you think network cams and sticky cams should be a different gadget?  Personally I do.  Setting up a lot of sticky cams at once that can put mercs to sleep would be way to crazy.  Make Network cams where you can set up a lot at once and switch between your network cams to keep tabs on the mercs.  Do not make sticky cams able to do this.  Make them a one cam at a time deal. 

Who else thinks network cams should be different gadgets than sticky cams?

a3c0i3d

How do these so called "network" cams work? Are they like regular ones, but you can place more than 1?

neth

I vote for 1 type of cams. Lets stop wasting time for talking about things which are ok. Lets talk about ideas for new gadgets and new moves animations (if possible)

Spekkio

I would presume that for cam networks, only the most recently placed cam can gas the opponent.

Westfall

I don't think the network of cams is a good idea. Its only going to end up being frustrating when yu pass over so many different cams, or release a different cam instead of the one you wanted. 1 at a time is enough, or else it will work as a camnet (for spies). Why do you think the spies get bullets and hb sensor.

InvisibleMan999

Quote from: Gawain on October 17, 2007, 02:03:20 PM
in my experience, 90% of games the spies win are decided by sticky cams. i'd like to see more variety in gameplay/gadget choice, not only in map design. it must be quite possible to win the popular maps without sticky cams, otherwise it's more about reflexes/listening awareness/spamming smoke than about tactics.

Yeah, if there's one thing I don't like about cams, it's how the quick cam game just turns into a standard FPS match, as opposed to the tactical stealth game that the rest of CT is.

What if we made the gas mask so that it had infinite air supply, but reduced the vision blocking aspect even further? So that you were only looking at a small part of the screen while you had the mask out, but you could keep it out the entire game if you wanted to, at the expense of your vision.

frvge

Interesting idea. Although you're _very_ vulnerable for grabs. Maybe even too much.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

kronf

What if we made the gas mask so that it had infinite air supply, but reduced the vision blocking aspect even further? So that you were only looking at a small part of the screen while you had the mask out, but you could keep it out the entire game if you wanted to, at the expense of your vision.

Sorry, but this is a terrible idea.

Gawain

it should take a delay switching to mask, and not activating it. so if you want to be ready for quickcams, you already have a smaller fov. with this, a smaller fov and breathing noises (+some insulation), it would be ok to enlarge the capacitity a little bit. another idea would be making more boxes and walls transparent for emf, so that it's easier to detect hidden cams around corners.

InvisibleMan999

Quote from: frvge
Interesting idea. Although you're _very_ vulnerable for grabs. Maybe even too much.
Yeah. I figured that would be the balancing factor. If you can't KO the merc with cams, you're forced to grab him. The only problem I imagine is trying to use the gasmask versus smoke, as it would be more effective against cams, but weaker against smoke aggro.

Quote from: kronf on October 17, 2007, 09:25:56 PM
Sorry, but this is a terrible idea.

I'm just throwing stuff out at this point. I'm not actually endorsing any of these ideas. They're just some stuff for people to think about and discuss.

goodkebab

no...say what you mean and mean what you say,  spare us the nonsense.

Spekkio

Quote from: InvisibleMan999 on October 17, 2007, 08:18:48 PM
Quote from: Gawain on October 17, 2007, 02:03:20 PM
in my experience, 90% of games the spies win are decided by sticky cams. i'd like to see more variety in gameplay/gadget choice, not only in map design. it must be quite possible to win the popular maps without sticky cams, otherwise it's more about reflexes/listening awareness/spamming smoke than about tactics.

Yeah, if there's one thing I don't like about cams, it's how the quick cam game just turns into a standard FPS match, as opposed to the tactical stealth game that the rest of CT is.
I think this is a fair complaint. If not for lag/host advantage, I don't think quick-camming would work nearly as much, but you can't get rid of lag. What can be done is slow down the cam's velocity in the air, thus forcing you to use cams more strategically.

Some people definitely abuse quick-cams more than others though *remembers solidus whining about not being able to use cams because he wasn't the host*.