Map Ideas [Pictures]

Started by Jordan, December 08, 2006, 03:45:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jordan

I was looking around for map ideas and thought this might make some things smoother for level designers.

Just post some images that might make for some good maps. Please put an explanation (if any), on why it would make the map better. The picture-takers/owners aren't going to get all steamed up if one of their images happens to show up on a random site being complimented.

I like the way the bags/boxes are positioned to where the spies and mercs can maneuver around/on top of them.

Valserp

Quote from: Overstatement on December 08, 2006, 04:39:34 AM
^Such a DM map

Not if it's just one of the rooms in the map.

I like how the windows are positioned. Might make for interesting lighting.

Jordan

Yeah, it would make for some cool moon lighting. Make the room pitch black with only the light from the windows.

Vega

Quote from: Valserp on December 08, 2006, 03:22:02 PM
Quote from: Overstatement on December 08, 2006, 04:39:34 AM
^Such a DM map

Not if it's just one of the rooms in the map.

I like how the windows are positioned. Might make for interesting lighting.

QFE

SpinBolt

i say we roleplay and all go in that warehouse for real...mercs can use my old laser tag stuff.
-aquarde silence-
"I CALL SPIES!"
"o crap and i thought that that problem was just in the game"

*reality*

its cool, more pics?

Lurch

Something I like (probably the most) about the maps in CT is how they change according to what you do, For example punishing a merc for blowing up a vent with a frag and accidentally giving spies a new access to an objective. This along with randomized passive defenses would really put more emphasis on adaptation, and not only to the general tactic of the spies, but to the amount of passive security and chokepoints on any part of the map in any given situation. This is what makes each game unique. I'm not asking that every wall should be interactive and destroyable, but at least some penalties for trigger happy naders and additional benefits for spies for accomplishing objectives (I like it how it's done in aqua).

InvisibleMan999

I'm not sure I like random passive defenses. The main problem there is that you can run into some unbalanced setups where certain random defenses are more hindering than others. Also it makes maps more complex and tougher to learn. I've always preferred passive defenses to be rather obvious. They exist to slow down the spy but not really to truly stop him. I don't think anyone wants the old PT style passive defenses like deftech or museum.

frvge

Deftech's were a pain in ass, but for Museum you had to memorize them and communicate with your partner.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.