Main Menu

Camnet

Started by Spekkio, October 28, 2007, 01:07:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westfall

I don't see how the notification is a stupid idea when a security camera points you out regardless.

Spekkio

Nono...

If the security cams give the mercs an alert and lock objectives anyway, then camnet becomes useless entirely. Why waste a gadget slot on something that the computer is going to do for me anyway?

If the security cams don't give an alert and don't lock objectives, then it effectively takes them out of the game as a passive defense. They're there, but spies can just run around and disregard them entirely. Shooting them out would immediately give away your position, anyway.

Gawain

maybe we could go without camnet at all and add more moving security cams and motion sensors.
the problem is that on maps of a certain size you can't patrol in some areas since you would leave your objectives uncovered (if you meet a spy he can taze you and run to the objective, especially lame with smoke) or get too far away from your mate if he's being aggroed/ko-ed.
with everyone having camo, darker maps and no visions for camnet it could help balance out maps of an interesting size or no/few good spots for traps.

Spekkio

Quote from: Gawain on October 28, 2007, 06:24:26 PM
maybe we could go without camnet at all and add more moving security cams and motion sensors.
the problem is that on maps of a certain size you can't patrol in some areas since you would leave your objectives uncovered (if you meet a spy he can taze you and run to the objective, especially lame with smoke) or get too far away from your mate if he's being aggroed/ko-ed.
with everyone having camo, darker maps and no visions for camnet it could help balance out maps of an interesting size or no/few good spots for traps.
Well, Mr.Mic thinks camnet should go in favor of another gadget entirely, be it drones or something else not yet thought of.

goodkebab

i actually like the idea of mercs being able to see through security cameras.

These cameras can still be tazed,  and spies will be able to see the cone of vision of the camera in NV.  Mercs cant control them....but the camera still functions independantly.

Farley4Fan

Anyone think that there should be little stations or booths that mercs go to so they can look through the cameras?  There should be a few of these stations in every map, they make mercs turn their back, and they don't have a security cam watching the panel's area.

neth

Quote from: goodkebab on October 28, 2007, 08:43:33 PM
i actually like the idea of mercs being able to see through security cameras.

These cameras can still be tazed,  and spies will be able to see the cone of vision of the camera in NV.  Mercs cant control them....but the camera still functions independantly.

I thought about it but what happens when spy shoots the camera? When it gets disabled the merc will too easily know that  spy is there. On the other hand it will be more difficult for a spy which is nice but cams positions must be retought.

goodkebab

uh...yeah?

mercs dont need camnet to know that.

Having camnet is the obvious advantage.

Spekkio

They will if you fix the sound.

Gawain

i don't like the idea of reducing passive security.

gadget idea for replacing camnet:
drone inspired by da
-can't harm the spy,
-can't be disabled
-stays in the air wherever it is when the merc isn't using it
-no visions but very strong spotlight and laser
-quite fast and agile
-can't get into spawn
-maybe range limit; if so with auto-return-to-merc feature
this gadget would allow taking over some patrouling and helps remaining the overview if it's located high in a big room. it would also allow looking for spies in vents.

goodkebab

mercs using passive security makes passive security more effective.

If people really dont like camnet because it takes all the stealth out....then give mercs the ability to see through the standard cameras.

Nobody seems to have a problem with having standard cameras,  and a decent merc needs to depend on them.

It gives an authenticity to the cameras as well. 

Gawain

security cams give alert and block objectives in ct; they do this without any effort from the mercs. security cams are not op, so why nerf them? passive security is good for the gameplay, and i'd love to see more bypassable cams and motion sensors you can pass undetected in slow-crouch.
we should really try out the drone idea...

goodkebab

drone is not a  "try out" kinda thing with the amount of work involved.

Spekkio

Quote from: Gawain on October 28, 2007, 11:06:52 PM
security cams give alert and block objectives in ct; they do this without any effort from the mercs. security cams are not op, so why nerf them?
I think this is the crux here. By requiring a merc to be actively looking through a security cam and removing the fact that they lock objectives, you are nerfing this piece of passive security dramatically.

neth

I like this idea, it sounds nice