What I liked about SCBL which could improve PS

Started by Roberto1223, February 14, 2014, 06:50:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roberto1223

Some of the few things I did like about the SCBL's new take on SvM:
1-   Spies can draw their gun in more positions:
a.   While hanging from a ledge the gun can be drawn.
b.   While taking cover, a spy can draw the gun and fire anywhere around him. In SCCT, the ability to aim the gun while taking cover is so restricted and impractical that nobody ever uses this function.
2-   Spies can peek downwards from an upper floor in order to look and fire their weapon without having jump onto the railing.
3-   Spies can throw grenades while on the move without needing to draw their gun.
4-   All grenades can be "quick-used" at all times. In other words, all grenades can be thrown at feet or out (not at feet) by the spy at any given moment without having to restrict the "Throw at feet" function to only two of out of more-than-two grenades.
Note: To me, the drawback about throwing everything by hand was the increased parabolic curvature. This greatly affected the accuracy and range of thrown objects.
Something I think would be very cool would be to allow spies to throw grenades while on the move (both out and at feet), as in SCBL, but to also give the option to draw the gun and use in order to fire the same gadgets at longer range with significantly increased accuracy.
I think this would make awesome spies.
Something that I think spies should be able to do is to cancel slow animations in order to return to their original position. Neither SCCT nor SCBL allow this. For example if a spy decides to move around a corner while hanging from a ledge or to climb up a ledge and then a merc suddenly comes, the spy should be able to drop to the ground or to begin new animation to return to the original position.
Committing to a 3-5 second animation could make the difference between life and death.
----------------------------------------
Some things I liked about SCBL mercs:
1-   Ability to place mines on the ground.
2-   Ability to look away from flash bangs for reduced effect, but then again, this is may be why UBI put forced negative mouse acceleration in the game's controls, which is a complete nightmare. And doing this may allow very experienced players to pretty much become immune to flash bangs which would be very bad. So this is very controversial if not implemented correctly. This is not really important anyway. It all comes down to the duration of the flashbang effect. In SCBL it was quite long, so the implementation of this feature made more sense.

Farley4Fan

Agreed.  With pretty much all of it.

Other than that, stay far, far away from anything Blacklist SvM.  Single player is good though.

NeoSuperior

Quote from: Roberto1223 on February 14, 2014, 06:50:28 AM2-   Ability to look away from flash bangs for reduced effect, but then again, this is may be why UBI put forced negative mouse acceleration in the game's controls, which is a complete nightmare. And doing this may allow very experienced players to pretty much become immune to flash bangs which would be very bad. So this is very controversial if not implemented correctly. This is not really important anyway. It all comes down to the duration of the flashbang effect. In SCBL it was quite long, so the implementation of this feature made more sense.

This applies to SCCT as well though (however not just "reduced effect", but rather "not affected at all".
If there are any orthographic/grammatical errors in this post, you can keep them and, if you want, hang them over your bed ;)

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."
- Mike Godwin

dYnAm1c

Quote from: Farley4Fan on February 14, 2014, 08:14:03 AM
Agreed.  With pretty much all of it.

Other than that, stay far, far away from anything Blacklist SvM.  Single player is good though.

Well the singleplayer was better but still didn't feel like a complete splinter cell for me.
I miss stuff like real interrogations or that you needed to use them for retinas and to get door codes etc.
Also what was really cool was the hacking in CT, you could hack computers to get informations or change the environment like lights etc.
The really cool handgun that disabled lasers and cameras for a short time was also a really nice feature.
Also no lockpicking at all or the thing that you could actually find out door codes by looking at them with the thermal vision.
It's the little things that made Splinter Cell so cool and an actual fun stealth game. It's really sad that Ubisoft cut out so many features just because its "too hardcore"

Roberto1223

Frvge, I know you probably don't want to do it, but I highly recommend that you play SC Blacklist SvM. For the good of PS. I am sure the dev team can learn a lot from SCBL. Even though the game's execution was a failure, some of the concepts and new interpretations of SvM were not so bad, and they will give rise to new creative ideas.

These were just some of the things that I noticed and liked but everybody has different taste so I would encourage the dev team to actually try SCBL out.

frvge

I never got round to playing SCC's coop multiplayer because it would lose connection. I haven't installed SCB yet. I bought it in the last sale, and I have plenty of other games to finish first :) Buuut, of course we'll see what works and what doesn't. Getting the best hardcore SvM experience is what matters most. Of course we're also bringing new elements of our own :) You'll have to wait to hear about those, but it should be OK.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

NeoSuperior

Quote from: frvge on February 15, 2014, 02:54:38 AM
I never got round to playing SCC's coop multiplayer because it would lose connection. I haven't installed SCB yet. I bought it in the last sale, and I have plenty of other games to finish first :) Buuut, of course we'll see what works and what doesn't. Getting the best hardcore SvM experience is what matters most. Of course we're also bringing new elements of our own :) You'll have to wait to hear about those, but it should be OK.

Don't forget my tracker bullets idea then!
If there are any orthographic/grammatical errors in this post, you can keep them and, if you want, hang them over your bed ;)

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."
- Mike Godwin

DaWolv

Quote from: frvge on February 15, 2014, 02:54:38 AM

A lot of people rail on SC:B's Multiplayer. I actually find some enyojment in it, though it is miles away from being "good" by any means.
The biggest problem SC:B has is the maps! Bein designed for a semi-CoD-Experience the maps are 1) way too small, 2) have little to no secret paths, tunnels, what-have-you and 3) lack proper spawning areas for both spies and mercs.
If they put a little more effort into that, it wouldn't be as bad as it is.

I agree with most what OP mentioned. The ability to move into cover, peek over edges asf. are great additions. Sadly it came with a lack of proper PC controls, where everything was reduced to a "PressSpacetodoeverything"-System which made it impossible to manouver into places like any other shooter or action game made for PC would allow.

What I also liked was the Crossbow. In SCCT you could just spam your tazer in a general direction and be sure to hit the merc. With the Crossbow's long reloading time it was much more of a skill shot, however the reason that was needed is the fact that you can simply face-melee anyone in SC:B.

dYnAm1c

Quote from: DaWolv on May 13, 2014, 01:01:48 PM
If they put a little more effort into that, it wouldn't be as bad as it is.

Sorry to tell you but they did put as much effort in the game as they actually wanted. They do want the game to be totally standard and fast paced, they didn't want to do something new.
Sadly thats the direction that the game market goes right now (at least Ubisoft), no hardcore games. All the kids today only want the CoD type of gameplay, actual tactics and slower not 100% action packed is a no go.
You can thank Maxime BĂ©land for this since he is the main reason for casualizing the game until it wasn't a Splinter Cell anymore and more like a CoD with a bit more darkness.