Main Menu

Alien Worm

Started by DreadStunLock, May 12, 2011, 08:56:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennardF1989

I'm sure 3DS Max has a tool which allows you to connect 2 points with a line.

comicsserg

you can triangulate any model just do convert to editable mesh then select all edges and make invisible edegs visible.

B1nArY_001

Quote from: LennardF1989 on May 14, 2011, 01:33:10 PM@Binary: I missed your note just untill now, I have always understood triangulating manually gives way more control than some engine doing it automatically for you.

I'm not sure how it works in Maya but with Max you simply go into the Edge sub-object mode and you can "turn" the edges bisecting the quads so that when you import it the tris are aligned in the manner best for deformation or lighting.

Zedblade

Quote from: LennardF1989 on May 13, 2011, 02:16:37 PM
You should triangulate it, most engines are not too fond of quads.

Also post front, side,top wireframes and actual render - with smooth shading -

Triangulation is automatic on import into UDK and any other random engine. It's better to keep the the mesh in quads inside Maya/3dMax as it's cleaner, easier to modify and so on.

Quote from: comicsserg on May 14, 2011, 12:34:44 PM
or even better so:

Don't do it this way. T-Junctions are one of the worst things you can have on a mesh. Your first example is a good way to do it. Or you can creat edge loops like this:

DreadStunLock

How do you guys know where to create an edge and where not to? Like the one you have Zed, looks quite complex and same as Comissergs it's also quite complex, how do you know you need all those lines instead of just a quad?

comicsserg

It's just practice man. If you makes a lot of complicated models and use advanced smoothing you noticed that some polygons make artifacts after smoothing. It's just a regular rule that every polygon should have 4 vertices for the best result.

DreadStunLock

But my polygons do have 4 vertices?

o------------------------------o--------------------------------- o
|                                       |                                             |
|                                       |                                             |
o------------------------------o----------------------------------o

o = Vertex

So if that has 6 vertices and you say every polygon needs 4, where do I insert other2?

Zedblade

Quote from: DreadStunLock on May 15, 2011, 12:26:14 PM
But my polygons do have 4 vertices?

o------------------------------o--------------------------------- o
|                                       |                                             |
|                                       |                                             |
o------------------------------o----------------------------------o

o = Vertex

So if that has 6 vertices and you say every polygon needs 4, where do I insert other2?

... the two in the middle you count twice since they are part of both quads.

DreadStunLock

So how come you guys mention I need to have 4 vertices per polygon if that's countable twice? I always have 4 vertices then? Or I missed a picture? Cause on the screenshots where I circled the vertices, every of those squares has a vertex in the corner?

comicsserg

Quote from: comicsserg on May 14, 2011, 12:34:44 PM
hahah my mistake :) thx for saying it yo me :D
here is what is not good and how it should be

Possible solution:

or even better so:

the first picture I posted before shows that you have more than 4 vertices in a polygon

Zedblade

Quote from: DreadStunLock on May 15, 2011, 01:31:08 PM
So how come you guys mention I need to have 4 vertices per polygon if that's countable twice? I always have 4 vertices then? Or I missed a picture? Cause on the screenshots where I circled the vertices, every of those squares has a vertex in the corner?

The polygon in the picture with the square around it has 7 vertices.

DreadStunLock

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Now I see it, I see what you did there :D <-----(Cronky x))

I'll get on with it :D

Thank you:

Lennard
Binary
Zed
Comisserg
Maybe Frvge

Just kidding Fridge.

LennardF1989

To illustrate, the black circles are all vertices part of the same "quad". By adding the blue lines, each will have 3 or 4 vertices, instead of 7.

DreadStunLock

You guys are brilliant <3

comicsserg

np :) we are here to help :D