Tick Tock (neckbreak, ledge climbing, wallpaper)

Started by frvge, July 17, 2009, 03:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monterto

While I agree that the neck animation looks a bit unnatural, I'll still take it.

Anyone remember that one part of chaos theory when you grab the guard and you hold him by his jaw?
http://sc2sig.com/s/us/329891-1.png[/img][/url]
Click to view my detailed stats![/url]

goodkebab

as far as weight,  i honestly think you mean that the drag part is to fast.  The CT version was really slow with tiny steps whereas this version is much faster.

monterto

Quote from: goodkebab on July 24, 2009, 10:49:35 AM
as far as weight,  i honestly think you mean that the drag part is to fast.  The CT version was really slow with tiny steps whereas this version is much faster.

perhaps I'm misunderstanding you but wouldn't it be better to have a longer neck break animation and a shorter knock-out animation so that there are more reasons to KO vs kill?

goodkebab

you are misunderstanding.  The animation is split into 3 stages.  Grab,  Drag,  Break/KO   

You have to break the stages  into seperate parts  to make them modular.   Drag  has to be loopable.  In Ct,  it was a very slow animation

Westfall

Seems like the drag being slow would be finely tuned compared to a faster drag. Especially if it's looping.

monterto

I sure do lack the insights of a game developer. Yes, I see what you are saying now.

Onlinedoucher

Quote from: goodkebab on July 24, 2009, 06:48:34 PM
you are misunderstanding.  The animation is split into 3 stages.  Grab,  Drag,  Break/KO   

You have to break the stages  into seperate parts  to make them modular.   Drag  has to be loopable.  In Ct,  it was a very slow animation

okay... stages or not, the merc doesn't even seem to have weight after having his neck cracked, spy just holds him by the neck like a toy and sets him down.

LennardF1989

Quote from: Onlinedoucher on July 26, 2009, 08:59:59 PM
Quote from: goodkebab on July 24, 2009, 06:48:34 PM
you are misunderstanding.  The animation is split into 3 stages.  Grab,  Drag,  Break/KO  

You have to break the stages  into seperate parts  to make them modular.   Drag  has to be loopable.  In Ct,  it was a very slow animation

okay... stages or not, the merc doesn't even seem to have weight after having his neck cracked, spy just holds him by the neck like a toy and sets him down.
That's because that part will be blended with ragdoll in-game, which adds simulated weight to it.

Don't forget that it's the task of the engine to add "weight" to objects, not the animators. The animator just makes it look "weighted". Telling the engine that the spy weights 80kilos is done through code.

goodkebab

-and slowing down the animation may be enough.  Remember how in CT the animation was painfully slow.

Dont forget that game play wise,  its not going to be fun to watch a 2 second animation while a merc is gunning you down.

LennardF1989

Quote from: goodkebab on July 26, 2009, 11:22:52 PM
-and slowing down the animation may be enough.  Remember how in CT the animation was painfully slow.

Dont forget that game play wise,  its not going to be fun to watch a 2 second animation while a merc is gunning you down.
General rule: looping animations can be broken at any time the player wishes, with the actual transitions you can't.

Not that it isn't possible, it would just look awkward. So, with goodkebabs example: You could stop the actual walking animation at any time (be it a slow or fast animation), but the actual animation after it: Breaking the neck or KOing, it should not be possible there. What goodkebab is trying to say, would you trade in precious seconds for a longer better-looking animation or do you rather want a fast animation that let the player keep control?

This was actually noted in the Ubisoft video goodkebab posted: In Prince of Persia they had to choose between awesome long animations or shorter animations. The con with long animations was, just as in our case, lose of player control and flexibility, while the animation plays, you have to wait. The con with shorter animations was that they didn't look as cool as the longer ones but with the pro that players maintain perfect control and flexibility all the time.

I know my pick.

Sunshine

Wowowowow...

I must say this game looks so awesome, I watch the ledge-movie... you did such a great work.. how many % can you say is ready now?

You done ALOT since I checked this forum last time, gorgeous website also. I long to start be an active SC player again and be the old geek I was with this game :D

Spekkio

Quote-and slowing down the animation may be enough.  Remember how in CT the animation was painfully slow.
"Painfully slow" isn't the way I'd describe them, and they were way too fast and funky looking in PS.

I know the spies are super athletic and all, but you can only drag a merc weighing approximately 180-200 lbs with 50 lbs of gear so fast.

Vega

Great work, guys!  Looks fantastic.  As noted above, I too felt that the neck snap looked a little too mechanical, but it looks good regardless.  And DAMN, I must say, Lakehouse is a beautifully done map.  Kudos to all you guys who worked on it.  Haha loved the part when mulle said at the end "ahhh gorgeous."

nubishdubishbone

Quote from: Rambo on July 22, 2009, 06:45:38 PM
Quote from: Random Person on July 22, 2009, 01:28:45 PM
Oh alright.

You didn't answer that, maybe because the question was weirdly written.
he should be able to hang there if it's too steep to crouch up imo.

what about the lower edge directly under(to the left) of the red edge?

in CT if a surface was not 90* (degrees) with the edge it connect sto you could not climb which took out any possibility of design-type archetecture, i was having fun with my HQ model and i went to place ge's and though they were there i could not mount to roof, stole a major factor in the layout away, sucks.

just got the ledge grab vieo perfect quality, running looks a little stiff but normal. gw.
Intel i5 3.2Ghz - EVGA Z77 FTW - EVGA GTX 480 - 4GB DDR3 1066MHz - Rosewill Blackhawk SuperTower Case - Antec True Power Quattro 1200W PSU - WD Caviar Black 1TB - Creative Recon3D Fatal1ty PCIe -Logitech Z508 5.1 Surround with "Dialog Plus"

LennardF1989

You will be able to climb pretty much everywhere a real human would be able to climb, as long as there is no "do not climb here" restriction added by the mapper.