Main Menu

3D Enviromental Artist

Started by kaffeesturm, October 19, 2011, 02:24:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaffeesturm

Hi there,
my name is kaffeesturm, im 34 years old and im a self-employed person doing 3D works in germany.
Your project is very nice and i could help you in building enviromental stuff.
On www.bernstein3d.de you can see my works and something more about me.
I have no experience in game development but i will learn it fast :).

frvge

Hi kaffeesturm,

Thanks for applying :). We're looking for someone who can create rooms, with self-modelled static meshes, and set a good atmosphere. I think your shots show that, so that's good.

Another thing that's important is time. We're working on our big second map, Asylum, and we still have a lot to do. Some concept art can be seen at http://www.indiedb.com/games/project-stealth/images/asylum-entrance-concept . In the engine, we made it look like http://www.indiedb.com/games/project-stealth/images/first-look-at-asylum1#imagebox . Do you think you can do the same technically, from start to finish?

Skills needed:
- Lighting. Unreal Engine has a lot of cool lighting features, but it'll probably be different from the 'normal' renderers like the ones in Maya and 3DS Max.
- Modeling and custom texturing. I think you've shown that.
- Normal mapping / parallax mapping. I think I've seen that on a few shots, so that's good.
- Unreal Editor experience. That's relatively easy to learn and we can help you with that.

The idea is to create a map, one room at a time.

It will take a lot of time. The room mentioned above took about 100 hours to model and texture and 10 hours to tweak the lighting and composition for the final screenshot. Everything is done from scratch. Of course, this is a special room, and 'standard' rooms can mostly be copied and then slightly altered to make it look good, which is a lot faster. If you think you can do it faster, that's even better.

If you're up for it, let me know :)

With kind regards,

frvge
Producer of Project Stealth
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Zedblade

If your really interested in creating maps, then download the latest UDK and start learning the editor. In the meantime we can use some help with asset creation. If your not familiar with the Unreal asset pipeline, Google some tutorials. The basic pipeline is, High-res model, low res model, baking maps and then texturing. If your interested you need to take a art test, nothing complex, just enough to show us you can do the job and are serious enough to spend time on it.

Model and texture the following AC machine:
http://www.csmdetroit.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/3197_16.345123404_large.jpg

Model shouldn't be over 3000 polys.  And supply a 2048x2048 diffuse, specular and normal.
Don't worry about the pipes or the little platform thing the AC is on.