WHats PS gUNNA DO NOW ?!

Started by AgentX_003, May 07, 2013, 06:38:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VaNilla

Are you deliberately being obtuse, or do you really need me to spell it out for you again? Killstreaks as you put them simply define killing people in succession; they exist in both PT and CT. The only difference in BF3/Blacklist is that they reward you for doing this with points. Does that make them the main goal? Nooooooooope. You weren't awarded points for hacking the objective in PT/CT, they were simply represented by a number (just like kills/lives). Hack-streaks exist in PT, CT and Blacklist, oh shit. The new representation and reward for progress in Blacklist doesn't having anything to do with the main goal in the game. The main goal is hacking, not kills, because you can't win without hacking the objectives. Hacking is more important than kills. Your argument is invalid, because the fact that you get points for killing is irrelevant.

Spark Mandriller

Quote from: VaNilla on May 13, 2013, 03:06:44 AM
Killstreaks as you put them simply define killing people in succession; they exist in both PT and CT.
Quote from: Spark Mandriller on May 13, 2013, 02:22:39 AM
My definition is the game giving you bonus points for getting multiple kills in a row without dying. Or just acknowledging it at all, really. Splinter Cell/PT/CT don't actually do that.

So are you refusing to read my posts, or are you misinterpreting me on purpose?

Also you musta missed the part of my post where I mentioned BF3 has killstreaks. You should respond to that part, since you were kinda wrong when you said it didn't.

VaNilla

Quote from: Spark Mandriller on May 13, 2013, 01:39:30 AM
My argument is that rewarding behaviour encourages it. That's my whole argument.

Are you seriously disagreeing with that?

Quote from: VaNilla on May 13, 2013, 12:11:30 AM
He killed 3 people in a row, and got 400 points for doing a double kill in a short period of time. Every competitive multiplayer game involving kills has killstreaks if we go by that definition. You can get a killstreak of "3" in PT and CT. I assumed that you were referring to killstreaks as in Call of Duty.

Quote from: Spark Mandriller on May 13, 2013, 02:54:45 AM
You're making my point for me, dude. CT had no killstreaks and killing wasn't the main goal. BF3 does have killstreaks and killing is a main goal. Blacklist also has killstreaks, so, y'know, what does that hint at? Right.

Spark Mandriller

Yeah, yeah, image macros, real cool.
How about responding to the whole you being completely fucking wrong in regard to BF3, bro?

(or is admitting that you fucked up just too hard for you?)
(it is, isn't it?)

VaNilla

While editing my post I added the part where I originally mentioned I was referring to "COD style" killstreaks, you responded slightly before that. However, I did mention that BF3 rewards you with points for killing people, just like Blacklist. Your original "proof" that Blacklist has killstreaks is that the game awards you points for it. I mentioned earlier that every game where you shoot multiple people has killstreaks, you just aren't awarded for it. The fact that you get ribbons for kills is totally irrelevant. Blacklist gives you points, BF3 gives you points and ribbons, but neither of them have traditional "killstreak" rewards that actually affect live gameplay like Call of Duty. Why do you think this went unnoticed?

Quote from: VaNilla on May 13, 2013, 02:45:53 AM
The system exists because it's proven to be fun for millions of people across multiple games. It's implemented in BF3, a game with no killstreaks at all, and yet it's still a rewarding experience. In general, people enjoy the experience of working towards new equipment, and while the point system facilitates that in Blacklist mode, everything is open from the start in Classic mode.

Spark Mandriller

Quote from: VaNilla on May 13, 2013, 03:25:40 AM
While editing my post I added the part where I originally mentioned I was referring to "COD style" killstreaks, you responded slightly before that.
Well unfortunately we're talking about the Blacklist style killstreaks. Because we're kind of discussing Blacklist? Maybe you didn't notice. But I guess they just don't count as killstreaks, because that'd be admitting you fucked up when you claimed they weren't in the game, right? Just like how when BF3 says it has killstreaks they don't count either.

VaNilla

I was comparing BF3 to Call of Duty. Despite killstreaks having no effect on live gameplay, they're still rewarding because they give you points. Blacklist also rewards with you points, and they also have no effect on live gameplay. To say that points encourage kills is to ignore the game as a whole. Thumbs up for reading comprehension, I think we're done here ;)

Spark Mandriller

You probably shouldn't bring up reading comprehension after you completely failed to understand my defintion of killstreaks earlier, bro. I gave you a specific definition and even explained how PT and CT didn't meet it, and then you claimed they did anyway.

You played BF3, by the way? Just outta interest.

VaNilla

When I said "there's no killstreaks in the game", I was responding to Farley4Fan. He mentioned killstreaks as if they were a new addition to Blacklist, but nothing has changed. You get rewarded for killstreaks in Blacklist, but killstreaks exist in PT/CT too. You posted a picture to prove that the game has killstreaks, but all you proved is that the game rewards you for it, which I already knew. Traditionally when people talk about a game having "killstreaks", they're referring to COD style rewards that affect live gameplay, like missle strikes and so on. Otherwise they'd just be stating the obvious. "Oh look, the environments are dark in Blacklist". No shit?

BF3 player info: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/soldier/VaNiilaa/stats/170925964/. Quits percentage is from random disconnect bugs when the game first launched if you're wondering.

Spark Mandriller

Chaos Theory doesn't give you bonus point for killstreaks.
Blacklist gives you bonus points for killstreaks.
I call that a change. It's changed from no bonus points to bonus points. If that's not a change, what is it? Same way BF2 didn't give you bonus points for killstreaks (I dunno if you played BF2 or not, but it didn't give you bonus points for them), but in BF3 you have 26 ribbons for them.

It's kinda weird to assume we're talking about CoD when Blacklist has KILLSTREAK in big letters right there. I mean, obviously we're gonna be talking about the killstreaks that are in the game rather than the ones that aren't. Because, I mean, they're in it.

VaNilla

It's a change to the way the game recognizes killstreaks, the game hasn't changed in regard to streaking kills. Rewarding points doesn't affect live gameplay at all, and if you look on any forum where people discuss killstreaks in other games, they usually aren't talking about points. They're talking about things like Call of Duty, where you can bring a UAV online after streaking a few kills among other things. So when I said there's no killstreaks in the game, that's what I was referring to. I even clarified it before we started talking about BF3. It's weird to think that I'm talking about the points system as killstreaks when in the same post about BF3, I mentioned the points system in Blacklist.

Quote from: VaNilla on May 13, 2013, 02:45:53 AM
Double kills are a mechanic in the game, that's why they're recognized by the system, not because they're common. Death from above is rewarded, and that's going to be far less common in a game without free jumping. The system exists because it's proven to be fun for millions of people across multiple games. It's implemented in BF3, a game with no killstreaks at all, and yet it's still a rewarding experience. In general, people enjoy the experience of working towards new equipment, and while the point system facilitates that in Blacklist mode, everything is open from the start in Classic mode.

I don't play BF3 much any more, lost interest :P

Spark Mandriller

Hey, points alone change how people play. If you played BF3 you musta seen all those Metro 24/7 servers where people just sat and spammed grenades all day because it was an easy way to get points. People love that shit. Besides, it's kinda indicative, isn't it? If they're putting in killstreak bonus points then that kinda says they want people to get killstreaks. Or at least that they think it's likely to happen. Seems kinda aggro, y'know? I mean, yeah, maybe the game will play totally different. But I kinda doubt it.

And yeah, fuck BF3. It's kinda fun trying to knife your friends, and I had some fun flying jets and having people on the ground call me a cock (hence all those combat efficiency ribbons because lol jet balance), but overall it is kinda shit isn't it?

VaNilla

I like the game, but I played it for a few months, stopped because I was too busy, and then I wasn't interested in getting back into the game. The thing in BF3 is that you can afford to play however you want; you can snipe from a distance and rack up points, and even if your team loses or you don't reach the top of the board, you've had fun and you've made progress. Like COD, success is defined more by points than the actual result of the match.

In Blacklist, with very small teams, every player is vital to the outcome of the match, even in "Blacklist mode" with 4v4. So every player has to go for the objectives, at least in 2v2. In 4v4 you could have two spies teaming up as a kill squad while the others focus on making their way to the objectives. But that wouldn't be a result of being rewarded for points, it would be because the game gives them the option to do that effectively and still be successful. Anyway I wasn't trying to be a dick before, but I do completely disagree with the points you've made.

Spark Mandriller

Quote from: VaNilla on May 13, 2013, 04:37:03 AM
but I do completely disagree with the points you've made.
I... kinda gathered that.

I guess we can wait and see how things turn out. Just, y'know, expect me to make a thread saying HAHAHAHA STONE WAS WRONG if there's lots of killing.