SC: Blacklist Impressions

Started by Scanty Chunk, September 24, 2013, 09:18:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scanty Chunk

So I bought Blacklist and I'm disappointed with the multiplayer (as expected), but not as much as I thought I would be. The gameplay is alright, but it feels like CoD in the way that you just run in, flail your arms and gadgets around hoping you kill someone, die, and then wait 15 seconds for respawn with unlimited lives. The difficulty for killing someone isn't really that great. There really isn't much value attached to a merc because he's so easy to kill if he happens to be at the right spot. It's not very rewarding. BUT I could go on about multiplayer forever. In essence, Classic is better than Blacklist. But not by much.

I really think that I enjoy the singleplayer more than the multiplayer in the game, which wasn't expected since I've always liked the multiplayer more than the singleplayer in SC games. The singleplayer is different than other SC singleplayers in that it's faster paced. But it doesn't disappoint me. I mean, I'll miss the slow wittyness of the classic SC games, but it's good in a way that doesn't get me mad that it's different than other SC.

Anyway that's my impression so far. It's fun, but they grazed the target on the multiplayer.
OH, and the game is a b*tch to play on PC. It's better than DA, but there's still a crap ton of things wrong with it. It's obviously a console game with a mediocre port.

If the game killed PS, then I wouldn't be coming back to this site. Ubi tried to innovate instead of improve, so I'm still all in for PS.

Hail Chaos Theory,
Love, the Scant of Chunk

dYnAm1c

For me the Blacklist SvM was a huge disappointment, even with the praised "Classic" mode, it was not classic at all, just a bit darker.
I didn't like the map design at all, only one hack at a time is shit, absolutely unbalanced. I stopped playing SvM after 1 day and I won't buy anymore
Splinter Cell games before I see actual gameplay after the release.

The Singleplayer was better but still not even close to Chaos Theory (I know they didnt even try, they want something new).
I miss so many features from old splinter cell games like picklocking, hacking, interrogations to get informations and in my opinion was  Blacklist even more linear than Chaos Theory.

Scanty Chunk

Yeah, after playing the campaign more, I've noticed that it's just so linear. In the other SC you there were so many different ways to get someone because the maps were WIDER and just BIGGER. And plus you had to move soooo much slower so the guard's patrols had a HUGE impact on how you approach something.
I'm playing on perfectionist, and you can literally run up to someone, knock them out, and repeat. As long as no one sees you.
The maps are seriously bottlenecked.
My good impressions of the campaign was the animations, the gadgets, some map designs, and the difficult armored enemies.

As for the multiplayer, it gets boring. Again, the maps are just too tight. Something with the engine makes the characters fill the map so much more. I literally have created a list of changes and things that I just don't like about Classic that is too long to post here haha.
They really just need to recreate the old SvM. It seriously shouldn't be this f*cking complicated haha. There's a high demand for something, so there should be a supply. Like, wtf...

frvge

You can post the comments here. I'll try to make sure we don't have those  negative points.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

CHOKE ARTlST

I, and several PT/CT friends have been really enjoying the new BL multiplayer. We constantly complain about the differences between it and the original SvM ( that we dearly miss), but all in all it is a hell of a good time.

Many people from the old community play nightly and they all seem to feel the same way: it isn't that the new game is inferior, just very different. It is MUCH more like CT than COD, and has a ton of replay value with both single and multiplayer modes.

All that being said, I still can't wait for PS to come out, and I have been spreading the word to everyone who will listen online. For those of you here that haven't given BL a chance, you are missing out. If nothing else, it'll keep you satisfied until PS beta.
Fat chicks need lovin' too, but they gotta pay.

NeoSuperior

Quote from: Wormfood on October 11, 2013, 07:07:19 PM[...]
For those of you here that haven't given BL a chance, you are missing out. If nothing else, it'll keep you satisfied until PS beta.

To each his own.
While for you it is something that can keep you satisfied, I am much more satisfied with the 60€ that I still got because I didn't buy SC:B. From all the gameplay videos I saw, I had the feeling that the "thrill" of getting past the mercs to the objectives undetected or preparing traps, etc. from SC:CT, may not be possible in SC:B, or at least does not have a comparable replacement.

I think Ubi made a huge error in their definition of "ghost" anyway... for them "ghost" means: never be seen.
For me though "ghost" means "making sure that the guards are ignorant of me even after the mission", in other words to leave no traces, which includes NEVER knocking out (after waking up he would know of the spy's existence) or kill someone (someone went missing/was found dead). Of course this definition is not always possible, even in SC:CT (you cannot complete the first mission without K.O.ing/killing at least 1 guard), but sometimes it is (panama bank).

Anyway, back to the point: Ubisoft didn't even seem to include the possibility of sneaking around the mercs (while letting them be) to the destination to surprise the mercs with a hack. The way the hacks works in SC:B means you need to move in circles to not be detected&shot by the mercs during hacking or alternatively you have to aggro' them.
It also seemed like the mercs did not have not enough of a "charm" to make them attractive to players, seeming like a "heavy armored enemy NPC 1" while the spy is the "cool Assassin-like superhero".
In SC:CT the merc could counter even jumps from spies, when he reacted fast enough, he was a real "badA$$" who was a worthy opponent to the spy.
If there are any orthographic/grammatical errors in this post, you can keep them and, if you want, hang them over your bed ;)

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."
- Mike Godwin

CHOKE ARTlST

First, mercs are just as fun to play as they have ever been. With all the new load out possibilities, I would argue that are now better than ever.

Second, you are knocking this game after watching a few gameplay videos. If you want to get the real feel for the new SvM, you have got to experience it for yourself.

In fact, you sound just like I did before giving it a shot. The Classic mode is a disappoint Kent, but BL mode is very well put together with plenty of thrills and broken necks.

It's a shame that so many SC enthusiasts are passing up on the new release just because some changes were made. If it weren't for my buddy (who got me playing Pt and CT online back in the day) giving this game a chance and talking me into trying it, I would have missed out too.

The only reason I am posting any of this in this forum is because I wish some of you guys would join the BL community and come have some fun with us (at least until PS comes out).

Fat chicks need lovin' too, but they gotta pay.

Aj

Multiplayer-wise, it beat my expectations, but still doesn't hold a candle to CT/PT.  I still prefer CT on XBC or PC.

Single player/coop-wise it feels like a Splinter Cell game, as opposed to next-gen DA and SCC,

Aj

frvge

Hmz. For 7.50 it might be interesting. As long as you don't get the dubbed version of course.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

NeoSuperior

It was never shown as 7,50€ to me... instead I saw about 40,-€ first, and now it is 37,90€.
If there are any orthographic/grammatical errors in this post, you can keep them and, if you want, hang them over your bed ;)

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."
- Mike Godwin

Aj

Quote from: Meister_Neo on October 15, 2013, 09:08:21 PM
It was never shown as 7,50€ to me... instead I saw about 40,-€ first, and now it is 37,90€.
They changed the price.  When I posted that it was still 7.5 Euros.