"Press Start" Wtf?

Started by DreadStunLock, April 01, 2011, 09:25:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DreadStunLock

What is the point of launching the game and always have that "Press Start" or "Press any button" screen?

-Thanks.

Farley4Fan

They started with horror games.  If they were too scary they gave you a second chance to chicken out.  Now they give people who have seizures a second chance to remember to take their meds.

DreadStunLock

LennardF1989

It was taken over on PC's due to bad ports of console games. Console games use this type of screen to determine which controller you want to use to play (hence the press start / any key).

Because almost every PC game has such a title screen nowadays, it has become a trend to put it in your game regardless whetever the game is even related to a console or not.

Expect such a a screen in PS, I mean, we don't want to be uncool, right?

puuusianka

DreadStunLock

Quote from: LennardF1989 on April 01, 2011, 11:44:44 PM
It was taken over on PC's due to bad ports of console games. Console games use this type of screen to determine which controller you want to use to play (hence the press start / any key).

Because almost every PC game has such a title screen nowadays, it has become a trend to put it in your game regardless whetever the game is even related to a console or not.

Expect such a a screen in PS, I mean, we don't want to be uncool, right?

I would suggest something a bit better, how about something original and unique? Maybe make a topic where people can make some mock ups?

Cronky

Quote from: DreadStunLock on April 02, 2011, 10:56:07 AM

I would suggest something a bit better, how about something original and unique? Maybe make a topic where people can make some mock ups?

...It's a screen that you press start (or any button) on...

Do we really need to put thought into it?

(Perhaps this is a dumb question)
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------
xFire:Cronkbot | Steam:Cronky

DreadStunLock

Dunno, the more originality, the better the game will be.

Jazz_117

Regardless of it's practical uses, I like the "Press Start" screen for atmospheric building.  It's a great opportunity to show of some cool art and set a mood.

DreadStunLock

If we are talking about having a "Press any button to start" with some really nice UI and Concept art then I agree.

But Frvge said that the Production Team has got an amazing UI idea in Project Stealth, so I am wondering what it's going to be like.

Hopefully something noone has ever seen before.

SteveTheCookie

Quote from: DreadStunLock on April 18, 2011, 07:54:49 PM
But Frvge said that the Production Team has got an amazing in Project Stealth, so I am wondering what it's going to be like.
They've got an amazing? ...An amazing what?

DreadStunLock

Quote from: SteveTheCookie on April 18, 2011, 09:19:42 PM
But Frvge said that the Production Team has got an amazing in Project Stealth, so I am wondering what it's going to be like.

Fixed! Sorry about that buddy.

Spark Mandriller

Quote from: SteveTheCookie on April 18, 2011, 09:19:42 PM

AMAZIIIIIIING BOOOOOOOOOK

Zedblade

Quote from: DreadStunLock on April 02, 2011, 12:28:02 PM
Dunno, the more originality, the better the game will be.

Originality isn't inherently good. Without rhyme or reason, it's just tacked on anus. That's right... anus.

If we are talking about having a "Press any button to start" with some really nice UI and Concept art then I agree.

But Frvge said that the Production Team has got an amazing UI idea in Project Stealth, so I am wondering what it's going to be like.

Hopefully something noone has ever seen before.

Not really. Play Crysis2 if you want a good comparison to what we have planned. Unless the UI has changed and I haven't seen it yet.