Is Project Stealth gonna be open source?

Started by VenomousNinja, August 11, 2011, 07:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cronky

I think this was answered before and I'll try to recall exactly what was said:

-Project Stealth will only be open source if Epic decided they wanted to use it for an educational purpose. Unless that happens, then no, it wont be open source. One reason is because it would make cheating far more easier on the game.

(Whether or not this is true is beyond me, and other reasons are VERY much a reality in this decision, but I don't know what they would be. This is just what I remember reading)

Edit::
Here's an answer from Frvge and Lennard from another topic:

Quote from: frvge on January 06, 2011, 05:48:58 PM
If we get asked by Epic Games for educational purposes of UDK, yes.

Generally (for now), no. But if you're interested in how we did a certain thing, you're free to ask.

Quote from: LennardF1989 on January 06, 2011, 08:04:50 PM
No.

As for the code, the reason it won't be open source is actually quite straight forward: We made A LOT of custom code and only rely on our own subsystems, this means we are not using the following:
- Epics Input system
- Epics Weapon system
- Epics Network code
- Epics Animation system (partly, at least)
- etc...

Basically everything is custom which took a lot of time to create and think out and we (read: I) therefor don't want it to be out in the open just like that. Giving away the editor alone is already a hazard, as it would easily allow everyone to steal our hand-made assets (again, which took a lot of time).

So, yes, it's basically a matter of stealing and why UDK isn't open-source (moneeeehh). If you are interested in anything specific I am more than happy to explain you how it works and give you snippets where possible, but don't expect me to give you code which I could sell (yes, you read that right) as a framework easily.

Without the source, modding something as custom as ours is mostly likely impossible as you will need reference/documentation. Besides, in UE2 it was impossible to compile code when the U files had their code stripped out (which we did) and I'm sure that's still the case for UE3.
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------
xFire:Cronkbot | Steam:Cronky

DreadStunLock

AgentX_003

-Thanks Murdy for da Sig <3  xD

Farley4Fan

Quote from: AgentX_003 on August 11, 2011, 09:07:07 PM
Quote from: DreadStunlock on August 11, 2011, 08:59:39 PM
1+ To not be open source.

agreed

+1 To seeing dread/agent becoming besties

OT-what are the odds of Epic contacting you about becoming open source in the off chance that PS is amazing?

DreadStunLock

Quote from: Farley4Fan on August 11, 2011, 09:17:42 PM
Quote from: AgentX_003 on August 11, 2011, 09:07:07 PM
Quote from: DreadStunlock on August 11, 2011, 08:59:39 PM
1+ To not be open source.

agreed

+1 To seeing dread/agent becoming besties

OT-what are the odds of Epic contacting you about becoming open source in the off chance that PS is amazing?

I thought that was too, until the recent match on CT, he hates me even more without realising it was me X(

Back on topic.

NeoSuperior

Quote from: Farley4Fan on August 11, 2011, 09:17:42 PMOT-what are the odds of Epic contacting you about becoming open source in the off chance that PS is amazing?

More likely, that they decide to make it "their own" and make it "shareware"... Test it for 30 days then you can buy it for 30 €/$/... or SFR :D *looking at stock market*

nah seriously... be happy that it's freeware. Don't demand more, or you will get the opposite^^
If there are any orthographic/grammatical errors in this post, you can keep them and, if you want, hang them over your bed ;)

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."
- Mike Godwin

VenomousNinja

Well...

I really want to see the source.

I guess I'll have to find some way to weasel myself into the Dev Team.

AgentX_003

Quote from: VenomousNinja on August 11, 2011, 09:47:47 PM
Well...

way to say that out loud junior  ??? .  I think that's great that project stealth isn't falling into that vice as some other companies have done o_o

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ .... theres the clue ... a little forum hangman if you will =/.

Farley4Fan

Quote from: DreadStunlock on August 11, 2011, 09:41:17 PM

I thought that was too, until the recent match on CT, he hates me even more without realising it was me X(

Back on topic.

But, he didn't realize it was you- and smurfing Agent isn't the best way to become best friends with him.  He has an inexplicable hate for people who change their names.  Try giving him a glazed donut.  Someone once gave me one, and I ended up giving her my babies (which is the greatest gift I can give).

Quote from: AgentX_003 on August 11, 2011, 09:56:17 PM
I think that's great that project stealth isn't falling into that vice as some other companies have done o_o

Buisoft?

What is Buisoft Agent?  Quit making up companies.

DreadStunLock

Shut up Farley, I will own you on Baguelfield 3 which was made by Mice company >:(

VenomousNinja

Quote from: AgentX_003 on August 11, 2011, 09:56:17 PM
Quote from: VenomousNinja on August 11, 2011, 09:47:47 PM
Well...

way to say that out loud junior  ??? .  I think that's great that project stealth isn't falling into that vice as some other companies have done o_o

I have no idea what you're talking about when you speak of this 'vice'.

Succubus Dryad Of The Undying Comet

Alright, what about a license which allows using the code for non-commercial purposes?
This way, you still get the money while the code is public.

DreadStunLock

I think Frvge mentioned something, if the Project Stealth will live up to it's quality, the Epic might give them a chance to publish their source code to schools and etc to use. But selling/giving away source, I really hope it's not going to happen.

As well as, from most of the people in this community, there is fuck all you will be able to do with the whole Project Stealth source.

AgentX_003

Quote from: DreadStunlock on October 08, 2011, 03:40:22 PM
I think Frvge mentioned something, if the Project Stealth will live up to it's quality, the Epic might give them a chance to publish their source code to schools and etc to use. But selling/giving away source, I really hope it's not going to happen.

As well as, from most of the people in this community, there is fuck all you will be able to do with the whole Project Stealth source.

Well like the ole saying goes; it's better to be safe then sorry.