Tick Tock (music and screens)

Started by frvge, May 30, 2009, 02:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyntrox

You definatly shouldn't use mp3 in the final release, if that's what you're talking about... Having OGG now is a good alternative.

VaNilla

When you say "no1 can hear the difference between 192kbs mp3 and flac lossless listening to ambient sounds" that annoys me, if you can do FLAC do it, there's no point in dumbing down quality when you don't have to. Also, there are some people who really can benefit from this type of encoding, for example I've got a pair of Audio Technica headphones called the ATH-AD700's, and an Extreme Audio Soundcard. The quality that FLAC would bring to the table would be great for anyone with a good set of audio hardware.

Gawain

lolz. i got a dedicated d/a-converter and headphone amp and beyerdynamic dt880-pro next to some studio monitors. i know what i'm speaking about...

I <3 U

WELL IVE GOT THE SUPERAWESOME HEADPHONES THREE THOUSAND. I KNOW WHAT IM SPEAKING ABOUT.

Gui Brazil

PS became Head-fi for a moment there.

a3c0i3d

im impressed, both for the screens and the music. Very nice!

Although most people will turn off the music ingame anyway (if the option is available)

Westfall

I find your use of lower strings to be interesting. I would actually imagine harmonics or just higher violin playing...to give it a more creepy feel. If you are going to use lower strings...make sure you get minor 2nds in there, or else it sounds to open/repetitive.

I heard it only once, but it could be more long and drawn out. Even think tone clusters if you want to go that route.

the hip hop beat didn't do much for me in terms of being connected mentally. Maybe dim that down a bit more?

Also, think drone...drone can do plenty, especially when you begin adding random notes, objects, sounds to it.

If you want thoughts or tips on other pieces, let me know.

Theodore W

Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate it, I dont check the public section of the forum often, however I will definitely let you know if I am seeking for any 3rd party professional opinions.

In regard to the piece, there are no strings in the lower register, harmonics and higher register are played by flute and violin bows on the bridges with artificial harmonics from metal objects stuck to the fingerboards of the guitar ensemble. There are a few minor 2nd in there already. Thanks for pointing it out, indeed they are useful devices :)

Considering its not really a horror game, I decided not to employ common approaches like dissonant chords and clusters, its a different type of creepiness we are after, instead I had the guitars playing slightly out of tune and tempo, which is more effective in this setting, it fitted well to the minor tilt and pan movements of the camera in the lakehouse teaser trailer.

I much prefer music concrete in this senario than drones, there will be plenty of environmental sounds in the game, here is the orchestration if you are interested.

3 Fingerprints
Orchestration: 5 Electric Guitars, 2 Electric Bass Guitars, 1 Flute, Metal Objects, Electric Drums, Tabala, Ebow, Violin Bow, Virus TI

Thanks for listening.

Westfall

I thought I was hearing cellos, but must be mistaken by the guitars playing lower? Yes...bass guitars. You must like the violin bows...they make eerie sounds when they tap against the strings...kind of like bone chimes.

What are you using...garageband?

Theodore W

I use cello bows a lot, they are pretty cool for bowing large metal pieces, they were a bit too big for guitars, so I went for violin and ebow instead.

I use Nuendo and Sibelius.

AgentX_003

Quote from: a3c0i3d on June 09, 2009, 02:26:40 PM

Although most people will turn off the music ingame anyway (if the option is available)

NOT  I ,  at least it 50 x better then that broken ambulance music they call chaostheory :/ .

it has a vibe like pandora , so its a thumbs up in my books! .

-Thanks Murdy for da Sig <3  xD

AgentX_003

Quote from: AgentX_003 on June 10, 2009, 10:38:13 AM
Quote from: a3c0i3d on June 09, 2009, 02:26:40 PM

NOT  I ,  at least it 50 x better then that broken ambulance music they call chaostheory :/ .
it has a vibe like pandora , so its a thumbs up in my books! .

-Thanks Murdy for da Sig <3  xD

Roberto1223

try and make the music a little less repetitive in the first minutes. add like sudden and unpredictable effects, to make it creepy and add a bigger (more techno) climax before the other "climax" u already have.

idk thats what i think...

Theodore W

Its all subjective when it comes to preference, the answer is always going to be polarized like we have now, its too complex discuss the objectivity of everyones preference, nevertheless I can tell you why I made this group of decisions for this particular piece, and what factors were taken into account when I was writing for the ingame setting.

This was a piece to experiment with colour hues from more "exact" instruments like guitars and flute, irregular pitch and tempo, there is no repetition mark in the first mintue of the piece, the 2 things got repeated are the 2 note phrase on flute and bass, they are sitting on modified rhythmic fabric, each time is different, by playing slightly out of tune and tempo with the guitars, it freed the structure slightly, so it creates that unpredictable effect, I was able to move the elements around freely to suit certain needs like for the lakehouse teaser trailer, without sounding different.

Another factor was the temperature, although lakehouse may seem warm with all the woods, however some areas look like it can be quite cold, I imagine there would be some temperature changes if you were walking around in the house. By using violin bow and ebow you can get more warmer sounds out of cold instruments like untreated electric guitars, with slower attacks on the notes it gives that shift, the track becomes a lot warmer in the second half. After all the piece is supposed to be an underscore, a big techno climax is not really necessary.

I also have some faster electronic tracks for PS, its quite different from this piece, what you hear now its just a small section of the ingame music, we are saving them for later media releases.

Thank you for listening, and I appreciate your comments. :)