About going to USA

Started by Sunshine, November 26, 2009, 06:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goodkebab

You need to go to the American Embassy website for these kind of questions if you want the facts.  The rules are entirely political between  your country and the USA so come up with the facts first.

You are white,  and swedish...so getting a visa should not be a problem.  If you were black, and swedish....or muslim and swedish you would have a problem.  American Customs does racial profiling so check your facts from official sources.

As far as staying in the states and getting work,  a lot of the "under the table" jobs will probably be service orientated in a Restauruant or Cafe.

Do NOT go go to LA unless you can afford a car and willing to drive for several hours.  San Francisco is fantastic though, and has enough infrastructure and night life that you can be independant.

When I was in SF for a year,  I stayed here for a year  http://www.greentortoise.com/

It was such an exciting time in just the Hostel that there was no need to go to a pub or coffee shop.

Sunshine

http://www.greentortoise.com/san-francisco-hostel/rooms.php

January 4 - april 15 for example

25$

do they mean 25$ per night or what under this period?

frvge

Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Gui Brazil

San Francisco is definitely the best city I've ever been to. And no, I don't mean that because of The Castro.

Sunshine

Quote from: frvge on November 30, 2009, 03:20:06 PM
Yes, without the taxes.

Haha, I would never be able to afford that... :D Then it's cheaper to buy yourself a small apartment together with 2-3 friends.

Gui Brazil

Quote from: Sunshine on November 30, 2009, 06:00:26 PM
Yes, without the taxes.

Haha, I would never be able to afford that... :D Then it's cheaper to buy yourself a small apartment together with 2-3 friends.

You clearly have no idea how much an apartment IN San Francisco costs ;).

Farley4Fan

Quote from: Gui Brazil on November 30, 2009, 03:54:55 PM
San Francisco is definitely the best city I've ever been to. And no, I don't mean that because of The Castro.

I'm sorry to hear that. 

And conservatives aren't stupid.  It's republicans and democrats that are stupid.

But no matter where you go, unless you go to San Francisco or Austin, you are bound to find a load of different kinds of people.

Sunshine

Quote from: Gui Brazil on November 30, 2009, 07:28:55 PM
Quote from: Sunshine on November 30, 2009, 06:00:26 PM
Yes, without the taxes.

You clearly have no idea how much an apartment IN San Francisco costs ;).

Well, if you get an one bedroom/kitchen apartment, and just get a quite big bed there and then you live three people there. It MUST be cheaper? :O if not it's crazy expensive there :)

Farley4Fan

It is.  It is CRAZY expensive in san fran.  However, it's a friendly place.  Mostly anything goes.  If you love pot then it's a safe haven.  lol

I still don't think it's a great choice.  Cost, fun things to do, opportunity, not great in San francisco.  The opportunity/cost isn't great in Cali in general at the moment, but it's fun for sure.

Gui Brazil

Quote from: Papa Skull on December 02, 2009, 02:33:13 AM

I'm sorry to hear that. 

And conservatives aren't stupid.  It's republicans and democrats that are stupid.

You really can't handle a joke, can you?

Savior20061

Quote from: Papa Skull on December 02, 2009, 07:35:09 PM
It is.  It is CRAZY expensive in san fran.  However, it's a friendly place.  Mostly anything goes.  If you love pot then it's a safe haven.  lol

I still don't think it's a great choice.  Cost, fun things to do, opportunity, not great in San francisco.  The opportunity/cost isn't great in Cali in general at the moment, but it's fun for sure.

What's Austin like? I've never really been anywhere down South except for Florida. I'm thinking Louisiana in future summers to come. I hear they have good food. Creole and that sort of thing.
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/7339/savsig2cp5.jpg[/img]
An upcoming novel by me.
Melonie from SC forums made this sig =D

Farley4Fan

Quote from: Gui Brazil on December 03, 2009, 03:28:29 PM
Quote from: Papa Skull on December 02, 2009, 02:33:13 AM

I'm sorry to hear that. 

You really can't handle a joke, can you?

What?  Must have missed the punch line.

Farley4Fan

Quote from: Savior20061 on December 03, 2009, 10:59:45 PM
Quote from: Papa Skull on December 02, 2009, 07:35:09 PM

What's Austin like? I've never really been anywhere down South except for Florida. I'm thinking Louisiana in future summers to come. I hear they have good food. Creole and that sort of thing.

Oh I haven't been to Austin.  I was just saying there aren't that many kinds of people there.  I don't mind texans  but I know a lot of people don't care for the kind of people texans are.  Especially people who frequently use the internet.  I'm generalizing I know, /care.

Spekkio

Where you should live depends on what kind of "America" you're looking to see. Of course, over a year's time you could see the whole thing, but the country is not homogenous.

"Big city" life: I'd recommend somewhere in the Northeast near NYC or in the southwest near LA/San Diego. I'm partial to NYC, but that's because I grew up in its backyard (and NY isn't as broke dick as CA). You also wouldn't have as much of an issue fitting in there since there are so many people from all over living there. There's also DC, but that city has a very different feel than NY. You could always take a trip down there, it's only 5 hours away from NY.

I'd recommend staying away from the "bible belt" -- any state south of Viginia and east of Texas. Charleston is quaint, but it gets boring fast and I don't miss seeing Confederate flags on the back of pickup trucks on my way to work.

Then there's Texas, which is a whole other entity unto itself. Someone mentioned American conservatism in their post. I've never been to Texas myself, but from what I gather if you want to experience the stereotypical American, live in Texas near Houston or Dallas.

If you're looking for quiet/rural life (I don't know why you would be, but everyone has their flavor), there's the midwest/northern midwest. IHowever, there's literally NOTHING out there but flat land and some sparse "cities."

If you like winter sports such as skiing, I'd recommend living in the northwest...someone mentioned Oregon, but Washington would also be a good fit. The Rockies aren't very far, and neither is Canada.

The main problem is that without being more specific, you could find a different culture just by travelling a couple of hours within the same state. Going from Dallas, Texas to bumblefuck Oklahoma will seem like two different countries entirely, except for their mutual love of high school football.