sticky camera idea

Started by tigaer, January 17, 2007, 09:35:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigaer

Lurch

A toggle for fullscreen, left corner, off and this would be perfect.

EDIT: how about a screen showing your partner to the upper right corner? with the same options as with the sticky cam.

MacBryce

Good idea; I only wonder if it's a good idea from a technical point of view.

Overstatement

Wouldn't this unbalance the game? Fullscreen cam was a design issue probably made after many hours of gameplay testing.

And yes, you can do it but it's kinda resourse draining. You guys all run your games at 60fps anyway, right?

Lurch

This addition would make people use the scouting function of the cam even more, or should I say, guarding function. If you comp would be slowed by the little window, you could always turn it off.

goodkebab

in ghost recon it makes sense...

but in CT there is a balance issue...

spies need to be vulnerable while in cam mode.

What is possible is animating the view of the arm coming up into the spies vision...blocking out the peripheral

Tidenburg

Meh.
I never liked this idea, its really unfair and as kebab said the spies should be vulnerable, how would they be able to see without looking at thier arm anyway?

Lurch

Quote from: Tidenburg on February 21, 2007, 08:10:15 PM
how would they be able to see without looking at thier arm anyway?
cam screen feed integrated to the optics in the goggles. And I agree with the balance issue now.

Spekkio

What if there were two different types of cams, and the one where you could look into the screen realtime does not have gas? Since that alone would probably be relatively useless, as a bonus you could attach a snare feature to this type of cam where if you press a key, it pings the merc's reticle as if a spy were around.

So you'd have "sticky cams" and "diversion cams." Of course if you wanted you could take both, but it'd take up two slots. The latter would function as a combination spy bullet/hb sensor/alarm snare all rolled up into one, but you gotta be careful placing it cuz they're much more obvious than the above three. Kinda ties into the old SP, too. Thoughts?

frvge

I actually like it. If they get like... 2 on a map, they should be able to set up a dynamic camnet, like in single player. 3 is too powerful. The cams should be very visible in EMF to balance it, and give a light/sound signal once in a while. Well, maybe not... I dunno.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Lurch

I don't think they're all that powerful. Remember that in order to gain an effective camnet, you have to place one cam in every (important) room, which takes a lot of time, effort and it's very risky because you'd probably get detected while setting them up. Especially if the cameras vanish when you die like cams do now in CT.

And mercs aren't stupid either. I'd bet they would sweep the rooms with emf pretty often, if a gadget like this would make it to the game. Though if the rooms are big (EMF radius isn't long enough to locate a cam) and same vent leads to all important areas in the map, these cams would be very powerful. But that kind of a map would be (obviously) unbalanced in the first place.

goodkebab

I like that idea a lot...i dont see why it should not be just one cam with gas and snare.  Cams are big and easy to find....on top of that we can compensate by giving mercs something.  Giving mercs the ability to change weapons ingame at the ammo depot is an example.  I kinda wanted the gun design to be a modular setup where the mercs would change certain parts.  Thats actually a real life concept weapon for the military.

element54

I also like the idea of having the option to switch guns at the ammo depot. You may not always have the time to do it in game but if you forget to change guns in the lobby or if you find that your current gun isn't working for the spy tactics then you can go switch if you got a chance.

Kurbutti

I sign Spekkio's idea, since that's basically what I was typing there until I realized this all sounds so familiar.

MacBryce

A modular weapon that mercs can alter at the ammo point sounds great.