Co-op, but with a twist.

Started by VaNilla, July 07, 2008, 12:58:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VaNilla

I think we should have some multiplayer maps that play a little like co-op missions, but in a SvM environment. Take for example Lighthouse in Single Player on CT, on this map Sam keeps moving forward to his objectives and meets NPC's along the way, and he has a few options. He can kill them, knock them out, or use tactical stealth so that he doesn't cross their path. Imagine mercs in these maps in the same situation as the NPC's. They would have limited access to gadgets at first - only things like torches to pick up as a light source, and a gun or two to make sure the spies don't cross their path, but as the spies do progress through the map, the mercs equipment starts to become a little more advanced, a bit more - end of Bathhouse advanced.

Edited in after comment by Frvge:
The stages don't have to be too limited in terms of space, but the spies have to progress with their weaknesses too. The spies advantage is not really their gadgets, but more the environment at their disposal. The less equipment the mercs have to use against the spies, the less environment the spies have to use against the mercs. Then as the stages progress mercs get more equipment, but the spies have more environment to use against them. This would make the way the spies use their environment more interesting, and considering the equipment available for the mercs and the environment at the spies disposal become more advanced as the stages progress, this interest would continue to exist.

Continuation of original post:
Lets say for example you disable the mercs and the area is clear, you move on to the next stage and the mercs can spectate you both as you make your way there, or if the spies sneak their way past the mercs they will respawn at the next area, but as the spies are already there they have seamlessly made their way into the next stage.

This is a completely new mode, which at the moment I haven't put much thought into at all, it was a spur of the moment thing after a long night of fun ;D. Although, I would like to hear your thoughts, would you find this an interesting take as an alternative to standard SvM, or do you think it would start to become a little samey just like normal co-op game, due to the mission like structure. I personally don't think so, since the A.I would become G.I, Genuine Intelligence. This would mean the oppositions tactics really would change every time, and I think it would be very interesting, thoughts?

frvge

Interesting idea!

So basically stage-maps with a limited amount of space the Mercs can use to patrol.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

VaNilla

Well it's not really as basic as that is it, but I see what your getting at ;D.

The stages don't have to be too limited in terms of space, but the spies have to progress with their weaknesses too. The spies advantage is not really their gadgets, but more the environment at their disposal. The less equipment the mercs have to use against the spies, the less environment the spies have to use against the mercs. Then as the stages progress mercs get more equipment, but the spies have more environment to use against them. This would make the way the spies use their environment more interesting, and considering the equipment available for the mercs and the environment at the spies disposal become more advanced as the stages progress, this interest would continue to exist.

Farley4Fan

Give spies a silenced pistol and you have an excellent game mode.  Regular gadgets, ss and all, plus a silenced pistol w/ OCP thing from Coop mode = awesome

Wh1tE_Dw4rF

I'm not too sure if this would work as the guards aren't expecting a high trained spy to infiltrate their grounds. Wouldn't have the edge of suprise like you have in the SP and Co-op modes.

VaNilla

That's a good point, although in SvM you have exactly that situation, but people continue to come back for more, why is that? It's because the experience changes every time, it has a lot of replay value and is a very fun concept to play, and when you have progression and a different option to standard SvM, I don't see why that would change.

That was what I was getting at Skull :P.

Wh1tE_Dw4rF

Yes, perhaps it is. But don't forget, that in SvM, the Mercs are hired to protect the equipment against attacks, may it be terrorists, James Bond or mister Spy. So the whole situation is based around that.
While in Coop, you are infiltrating a ficility, evil genuis hideout or just your boss his office, were you are suppose to go in, get the stuff, go out, all unnoticed. I've never ever played a SvM match that I never got notice of a spy being there.

Also, players WILL act differently, they will hunt down the spy instead of patrolling a corridor 100 times on one evening. It's hard to find people to role-play with you, as yes, it will be role-playing. Mercs will take on the role of guard. They will have to behave like a guard or else some sort of coop mode will not work.

If you do find the people to play such match with, it will be a hell of a great experience.

I <3 U

Its a cool idea, but it'd take ages to make. I guess new maps would have to be made for it aswell. Although i like the idea, i think the chances of it being put in are very slim, due to the work-load for it (new maps). Also, would this be like a 10 Merc, Vs 1 spy type thing, like in single player. If so i can see people waiting hours for there spy rounds.

TBH i think disk hunt could be tweaked, everybody has forgotten about it, but i still think it's a good concept. However, personally i think specific disk hunt maps need to be made with LOTS of different techniques, ways, and passages to get to the disk and extraction point.

AgentX_003

Quote from: FR33M4N on July 07, 2008, 08:27:33 PM
Its a cool idea, but it'd take ages to make. I guess new maps would have to be made for it aswell. Although i like the idea, i think the chances of it being put in are very slim, due to the work-load for it (new maps). Also, would this be like a 10 Merc, Vs 1 spy type thing, like in single player. If so i can see people waiting hours for there spy rounds.

TBH i think disk hunt could be tweaked, everybody has forgotten about it, but i still think it's a good concept. However, personally i think specific disk hunt maps need to be made with LOTS of different techniques, ways, and passages to get to the disk and extraction point.

No, diskhunt is horrible, however , extraction from pandora with the tubes was the best idea ever. because you had to stay alive to bring it to your spawn ,

warehouse was a rush on that mode ,esp in the 3rd sector.

-Thanks Murdy for da Sig <3  xD

Gawain

Quote from: AgentX_003 on July 07, 2008, 10:31:21 PM
No, diskhunt is horrible, however , extraction from pandora with the tubes was the best idea ever. because you had to stay alive to bring it to your spawn
oO

VaNilla

Dwarf man, my point isn't to make mercs act like patrol bots, I want it to be like the SvM experience where mercs are checking everywhere, not just patrolling for example 'Room that spy must cross' or 'Bridge', hence my point about it not just being A.I, rather G.I - Genuine Intelligence. Maps would obviously have to allow the mercs to behave like this, unlike in normal SP maps, I was just using Lighthouse as an example of showing how the missions within that game could work.

Rambo, I imagined the gamemode with  2v2 in mind, hence the stages; this means that it can be played by 4 players and still have the mercs be able to cover all bases. Also unlike SP these maps would have to have a lot more routes that the spies and mercenaries can take, this means that although the mercs can cover all points, they can't just camp each 'exit' that the spies have to cross, which again adds a lot of depth.

I like the idea of tweaking Disk Hunt too, personally I enjoy it a lot on the rare occasion I get to play it, it really tests your skill at stealth versus a good team. I also like extraction, like Agent said that was a fucking brilliant mode :P. In fact that's a really good point, did any of you enjoy separate modes more - Neutralisation, Sabotage, and Extraction, like it was in PT? I think I actually did you know, what do you think?

Gawain

Quote from: STON3COLDKILLA on July 07, 2008, 10:49:15 PM
Rambo, I imagined the gamemode with  2v2 in mind, hence the stages;
i didn't even ask anything oO
u should make a list with the exact differences to normal story mode for clarification, because atm it sounds quite similar.

I like the idea of tweaking Disk Hunt too, personally I enjoy it a lot on the rare occasion I get to play it, it really tests your skill at stealth versus a good team. I also like extraction, like Agent said that was a fucking brilliant mode :P.
disk hunt and stealth? i really hope ur kidding me XD
just for clarifation: extraction is like disk hunt with the only drop-off zone at spy spawn?

Farley4Fan

The differences are that as objectives are taken, more stages are opened up, and mercs have deadlier equipment.  That's the main difference, right?  We could brainstorm about this all day and it could become something really great.

Wh1tE_Dw4rF

More stages open, deadlier equipment. What kind of equipment are we talking about here? Nuclear bombs, EMP cannons?

I've never played PT so I have no clue what the game modes are. But extraction sounds nice. Would there be 3 objectives to capture? Or just one tube in the back of the ficility?

And to Stone:
Coop is stealth. What the heck is fun about making a bigger version of SvM, call it Coop. Let the mercs run around like mad chicken looking for corn (spies)? The whole stealth goes away. Unless you only equip the mercs with AK-47s and sigarets.

Westfall

Quote from: Rambo on July 07, 2008, 11:13:31 PM
Rambo, I imagined the gamemode with  2v2 in mind, hence the stages;
i didn't even ask anything oO
u should make a list with the exact differences to normal story mode for clarification, because atm it sounds quite similar.

I like the idea of tweaking Disk Hunt too, personally I enjoy it a lot on the rare occasion I get to play it, it really tests your skill at stealth versus a good team. I also like extraction, like Agent said that was a fucking brilliant mode :P.
disk hunt and stealth? i really hope ur kidding me XD
just for clarifation: extraction is like disk hunt with the only drop-off zone at spy spawn?

Kind of like DA, but you just grab and run.