About going to USA

Started by Sunshine, November 26, 2009, 06:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunshine

Hello.

So, I've been thinking about going to USA for about 1 years time this summer.

I could first explain why I want to do this and why I write it here:
I'm a bit tired of Sweden and I'd like to try something new and learn to be independent and be able to stand on my own legs. And also learn a new culture, and see a new enviroment and such. I atleast think this would be a really fun adventure. Nice way to get away from Sweden now just after i'm finnished with studies, else if I'd get a job I would probably never be able to get this opportunity again.. So this summer is probably my best chance of doing it. And no, I will not live there by myself, would be with some friends that also join this trip.

However, my question to you who live in the US is:
What should I think of before? I'm allowed to stay there for like a year and get a job there without getting a greencard f.e, right? As I don't plan to stay there forever. And what do you think would be best city/state to go to?

Would like some nice warm climate with nice nature, not too hard to get a job. And a pretty nice city, not like a ghetto... :)

Thanks

frvge

You'll need a work permit. Talk to your local embassy and/or browse the US's home security site or something.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Farley4Fan

If you are coming in the summer I'd recommend Oregon.  If you are staying longer than just through the summer, things get REALLY wet and pretty cold.  The people here are nice enough and the weather is great in the summer (consistently about 90 degrees fahrenheit, sometimes in the 100's).  There is hardly any crime here compared to a lot of other states.  Unfortunately there isn't much to do here.  If you like hiking, swimming, skiing, rafting, etc. then Oregon is a good choice.  If you want other forms of entertainment like amusment parks then obviously Florida or California would be better places, weather is always good there.  Those 2 states have good outdoor activities as well but Cali's economy is a mess.  So good job's might be harder to find there.

It's up to you.  Might want to check out the different states on the web and see what place you'd like to stay the best.

Sunshine

Yeah California and Florida is what I had in mind really, but I don't really know if it's so good as they make it look trough series and movies. That's why I wanted to let you make it as a suggestion.

However, I have plans on staying like 3-12 months all depends how it goes down there.

MR.Mic

Quote from: Sunshine on November 26, 2009, 06:41:21 PM
And a pretty nice city, not like a ghetto... :)

Not Atlanta, then.

I hear Charleston, South Carolina is pretty nice.
[size=2]Lead Visual Effects Artist - Advanced Materials, Particles, and Post-Process Effects
Website: http://studentpages.scad.edu/~ctripp20/index.htm][/size]

frvge

The parts of Atlanta that I saw weren't that bad? I actually liked the spacy-ness.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Gui Brazil

You can stay there for 6 months as a tourist, not working.

Quote from: Sunshine on November 26, 2009, 11:20:21 PM
Yeah California and Florida is what I had in mind really, but I don't really know if it's so good as they make it look trough series and movies.

I'd recommend California.

You're done with Miami in 5 days and unless you're planning on going 10 times to each theme park in Orlando, Tampa, and so on, 20 days is more than enough.

California on the other hand has plenty of stuff to do. San Francisco is just amazing. LA is huge, San Diego is this strange city where you don't know if you're in mexico or the US, quite fun. Shitload of small towns across the Coast, like Solvang and what not...Plus, you're not that far from Vegas!

LoChang

LoChang is in California.  Bwahahahahaha.

Sunshine

I'm not rich enough to stay there 6 months without working, my plan was on working there for like 6-12 months. Then get back to Sweden.. :)

LennardF1989

Quote from: Sunshine on November 28, 2009, 07:27:08 PM
I'm not rich enough to stay there 6 months without working, my plan was on working there for like 6-12 months. Then get back to Sweden.. :)
Besides that, staying a tourist in just California for 6 months seems quite long too. Or is there really 6 months of stuff to do in California for tourists?

Savior20061

I hope the thread poster has prepared himself for the mindnumbing idiocy that is American "conservatism".
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/7339/savsig2cp5.jpg[/img]
An upcoming novel by me.
Melonie from SC forums made this sig =D

Aj

Quote from: Savior20061 on November 29, 2009, 03:47:53 AM
I hope the thread poster has prepared himself for the mindnumbing idiocy that is American "conservatism".

Do you really want to turn this into a political debate?  The American "liberalism" is also mindnumbing idiocy.

Westfall

Quote from: Aj on November 29, 2009, 06:07:20 AM
Quote from: Savior20061 on November 29, 2009, 03:47:53 AM

Do you really want to turn this into a political debate?  The American "liberalism" is also mindnumbing idiocy.

No he did it. No she did it. No he did! She did!

Get a fucking life. I hope Sunshine is ready to deal with people who think they are better than everybody else, such as the above 2 posters. Americans think they are the greatest thing in the world and that their shit doesn't stink. Get ready for that. We can be nice people, if you find yourself in the right crowd.

Go and live in New York City or Boston, so you can get a real taste. Then again, if you're looking for warmth... Florida.

Sunshine

Well, I'm quite sure I can handle some americans... :D I'm afterall a Swede, we're former vikings. :)

However, where should I apply to be able to get to work there and stay there for like one year? If it's possible...

And I don't really care so much about it being warm, it's mainly that I'd like some really nice enviroment, beatiful one, and not cold though..

MR.Mic

Quote from: Sunshine on November 29, 2009, 04:52:29 PM
Well, I'm quite sure I can handle some americans... :D I'm afterall a Swede, we're former vikings. :)

[size=2]Lead Visual Effects Artist - Advanced Materials, Particles, and Post-Process Effects
Website: http://studentpages.scad.edu/~ctripp20/index.htm][/size]