How do you think PS would play if the spy had a pistol?

Started by tigaer, February 05, 2011, 05:35:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spekkio

QuoteWhile the gadget idea Spekkio brings up sound unique... I always worry, when thinking about it, that Spies will die more often because they may spawn with no gadgets, or nearing the end of a round nobody has any gadgets.
Ending the game with no gadgets would be anything but boring. Think of trying to beat Orphanage attic when it's mined up vs. when the mercs are out. It's a totally different game. Hell, a situation like missile sector 2 might be possible to beat if equipment was actually exhaustable.

Besides, to get to that point you would have had to use all of your alotted gadgets plus the refills that are available on the map. By doing so, you were taking a gamble to win the game quickly and early, which clearly didn't work at this point.

@Snakebit: Others covered it...you can't make the game smart enough to know the difference between an actual suicide and a "suicide" by getting killed by a spy.

Again, though, I go back to the fundamental reason why you shouldn't refill equipment on death, and that is that you are rewarding suckage and promoting gadget spam. Suiciding for more equipment is an unavoidable symptom of that, but it's not the cause.

@Cronky,

As I pointed out, my idea is anything but unique. It has been done in successful multiplayer games well before SvM was ever invented.

DreadStunLock

Meister, PS developers can always take their time and make something like.

Spy tazer hit mine, mercenary die = no added respawn time penalty.

Spy proximity detonating a mine, mercenary die = no added respawn time penalty or something, + killing a mercenary with a mine should reward a spy, it's not an easy feat.

Cronky

Quote from: Spekkio on March 09, 2011, 12:06:29 AM
Ending the game with no gadgets would be anything but boring. Think of trying to beat Orphanage attic when it's mined up vs. when the mercs are out. It's a totally different game. Hell, a situation like missile sector 2 might be possible to beat if equipment was actually exhaustable.

Besides, to get to that point you would have had to use all of your alotted gadgets plus the refills that are available on the map. By doing so, you were taking a gamble to win the game quickly and early, which clearly didn't work at this point.

I just said I worry about it. Sure, it sounds fun on paper, and yes it's your own fault if you're nearing the end of a round and have no gadgets to refill, but it might not always be fun. Some may find the tense moments that follow you depleting your last gadget a ton of fun, others may not.

The upside to getting a refill upon death though isn't that you get more gadgets, it's that you're consistent throughout the whole round. You have one less thing to worry about. Even if your last life was nothing but a crapshoot, you start your next one with a clean slate. The disadvantage being that some people (mainly Mercs) can take advantage of that aspect of the gameplay to simply refill their gadgets on the idea that the life's gadgets will be wasted otherwise. (If you win with 2 lives left, then you "wasted" a life's worth of gadgets)

I like both ideas, and think both should be included because it will indeed give a change of playstyle depending on which is used. Also, and I'm talking out my ass now, it sounds like something that Mappers could take advantage of to make different types of levels. So if both are possible, I would rather see that.

Quote from: Spekkio on March 09, 2011, 12:06:29 AM
@Cronky,

As I pointed out, my idea is anything but unique. It has been done in successful multiplayer games well before SvM was ever invented.

I meant unique in terms of SvM gameplay. It hasn't been seen in this before (because PT/CT didn't do it) so it's unique to me.
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------
xFire:Cronkbot | Steam:Cronky

NeoSuperior

Quote from: DreadStunLock on March 09, 2011, 12:18:46 AM
Meister, PS developers can always take their time and make something like.

Spy tazer hit mine, mercenary die = no added respawn time penalty.

Spy proximity detonating a mine, mercenary die = no added respawn time penalty or something, + killing a mercenary with a mine should reward a spy, it's not an easy feat.

lol it's not hard... the spy just needs luck to be near a merc, while he places a mine.
1 taze/1 cam and game over for the merc.
(or he must know the merc-player well to remember where he always/usually/most often puts his mines)

Also... what about "mate, kill me!"? You could say that teamkills must increase the respawn time as well... but what if...

...my Mate's nade misses the spy and kills me instead, or when a merc throws a nade at his grabbed merc mate to kill the spy, while he himself must face the other spy?

well?
If there are any orthographic/grammatical errors in this post, you can keep them and, if you want, hang them over your bed ;)

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."
- Mike Godwin

DreadStunLock

If your teammate kills you by mistake, it's his fault, and that doesn't matter, for stupidity like this spies should be rewarded. It's your problem that your teams can't teamwork.

NeoSuperior

Quote from: Meister_Neo on March 09, 2011, 03:54:41 PM[...]or when a merc throws a nade at his grabbed merc mate to kill the spy, while he himself must face the other spy?

well?

You didn't answer this one yet... if this happens, then the spy would respawn much sooner than the merc and a 2on1 situation would arise... if the merc tried to snipe the spy instead... he maybe could kill him, but if that spy manages to break the neck fast enough, and the second spy grabs the sniping merc?! Then it wouldn't be 2on1, but 1on0 :O GG

so in this case the devs should switch off the respawn time extender too(from the moment a merc gets grabbed), because otherwise a grabbed merc would mean a 99% sure 2on1 situation...
If there are any orthographic/grammatical errors in this post, you can keep them and, if you want, hang them over your bed ;)

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."
- Mike Godwin

tigaer

I have a feeling you're all a bunch of noobs at CT from the way you're talking... ::)

I'll have fun destroying you guys at PS.

AgentX_003

Quote from: tigaer on March 10, 2011, 02:30:24 AM
I have a feeling you're all a bunch of noobs at CT from the way you're talking... ::)

WHHHAT !?!  :@ !!!

with that being said, those are some fightin' words and I will uninstall chaostheory / never buy a ubisoft product ever again when PS is ready.

-Thanks Murdy for da Sig <3  xD

DreadStunLock

Quote from: tigaer on March 10, 2011, 02:30:24 AM

Using your ub3r admin powers? :D

Cronky

Quote from: AgentX_003 on March 10, 2011, 04:13:25 AM
with that being said, those are some fightin' words and I will uninstall chaostheory / never buy a ubisoft product ever again when PS is ready.

What with Ubisoft's apparently controversial "Wii Dare" (link below), it's only a matter of time before Ubisoft creates a video game all about receiving blowjobs and having hot, steamy sex with girls WAAAAY out of your league.

What will you do then Agent...

what.

will.

you.

do.

Link to the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3AfGrN9UsM&feature=player_embedded

;)
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------

AgentX_003

Quote from: Cronky on March 13, 2011, 02:01:05 PM

What with Ubisoft's apparently controversial "Wii Dare" (link below), it's only a matter of time before Ubisoft creates a video game all about receiving blowjobs and having hot, steamy sex with girls WAAAAY out of your league.

what.

will.

you.

do.

Link to the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3AfGrN9UsM&feature=player_embedded

;)

not buy the game , then dial up ur mom for the evening ;) .

-Thanks Murdy for da Sig <3  xD

Cronky

Quote from: AgentX_003 on March 13, 2011, 02:38:28 PM
not buy the game , then dial up ur mom for the evening ;) .

Hahahaha

I'm torn as to which part of your response was funnier. Either the simple fact that the comeback you used was pretty funny by itself. Or, that you essentially said that you think my mom is waaaaaay out of your league.

Either way, you done good by me Agent. ;D
-----------------------

Farley4Fan

Quote from: Cronky on March 13, 2011, 02:01:05 PM

what.

will.

you.

do.

;)

Hii will Dare

:-*

DreadStunLock

Until they create a holographic projection which un-does your pants buttons the sex games are lame, if anyone seen the film with Arnold Schwarznegger where he gets cloned you will know what i am talking about :P

They could also have made somekind of an alternative method to Kinect because the way I see it now is kind of poop :P