Idea!:: Before game security placement for mercs?

Started by Scanty Chunk, March 29, 2012, 07:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scanty Chunk

Here's an idea, how about before the game starts, the mercs get to decide where their lasers and cameras would go by placing them where they think would be effective or tricky. This could be a separate game mode if you wanted I guess.
I think it would reinforce the stealthy and ginger gameplay of the spies. It would also keep people from becoming unfairly good at a map, so then newer players could be included more easily.

The lasers would only go a certain range, and same with the cameras. They could also have a restriction for how close together they can be.

Tell me what you think!

NeoSuperior

This would certainly make it harder for the spies. But maybe including this into some kind of "pro mode", where mercs can do what you decribed, but spies also have more spawn points they can choose from and additionally some lights are switched off.

The problem i see with this is, if this can be done with UDK tecnically. Well since i am not a dev memeber i cannot say much about it. Also in CT there was a tendency for mercs to win, so the game should not be made too hard for spies. Aside from that this could make spy players angry because they have to wait for the mercs to set up their devices...
If there are any orthographic/grammatical errors in this post, you can keep them and, if you want, hang them over your bed ;)

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."
- Mike Godwin

VaNilla

I think it could harm the map design and make for imbalanced gameplay. Also over complicates things in my opinion.

Pusianka

yep kills the mapper thought. Its already ahrd to do it in the first place when designing the map and would be just dumb afterwards, so thats a NO. But spark mandriell will be happy you taht you fit in...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHa_jqxnn4o

"- It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.
- Hit it."

Scanty Chunk

Haha alright i can see the difficulty in it now.
Thanks for the feedback though

Pusianka

No! No! No! You say sth like:
- Oh yea and I think you re too lame for that mode its just for hardcores, you NOOB!

and keep going like that untill page ten... Or simply:

"- It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.
- Hit it."

Pusianka

Quote from: Pusianka on March 29, 2012, 09:52:44 PM
No! No! No! You say sth like:
- Oh yea and I think you re too lame for that mode its just for hardcores, you NOOB!

and keep going like that untill page ten... Or simply:

and then you double post for better effect...

- Hit it."

Cronky

I would be interested maybe not in manual placement, but perhaps some random (or alternate) placement for certain static defenses in a map. That way it would be mapper oriented, but could also have a certain extent of randomness so every level doesn't always play the same.

I do understand though that balancing a map without this is hard enough. It seems like it may be worthwhile though if it could make a map more... dynamic... in a sense. Of course every map wouldn't need this kind of attention or feature.
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------
xFire:Cronkbot | Steam:Cronky

Scanty Chunk

I think that randomization is a great idea! It would make the idea more plausible. my main concern is having a certain clich winning mostly from map memorization, not skill. The idea would keep the mentality of stealth alive so they don't just blindly run into places just because they already know where the security is, while the average players are left behind still keeping an extra eye out for tricky traps they have yet to memorize.

SheikTheGeek

Another idea I would nominate for an optional game mode.
I actually enjoyed the multiplayer in Double Agent and Blacklist.  Why are you looking at me like that?

NeoSuperior

How about a "hardcore mode", where there are no gadgets and no visions? And to balance it more: Merc without beserk and laser.

Oh almost forgot the most important for hardcore mode: NO HUD.

So the only things available are Spy tazer, merc gun and CQC/jumps.

Well maybe i make an own thread for this later, as it seems that i got offtopic.
If there are any orthographic/grammatical errors in this post, you can keep them and, if you want, hang them over your bed ;)

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."
- Mike Godwin

knooger

Stupid idea Meister_Neo, it would be so easy to win versus even good merc team if they haven't got nades, mines (:

Hardcore even sounds stupid and reminds me of bad games we have to play nowadays.

Cronky

Quote from: SheikTheGeek on March 30, 2012, 03:19:34 PM

While I could understand some of the times when people say this statement, I cannot follow why you would say it here. Assuming you're talking about the random/alternate placement of some Static Defenses on maps when you said this then what way does this necessitate a new game mode?

It would simply be building a map that has alternate placements of static defenses. You don't want to play "Story" mode with this kind of randomness? Then don't play this map. Again, the idea isn't meant to be a part of EVERY map, but those maps that are built with this type of feature in mind.

If you meant the original idea of Merc's placing the static defenses themselves, then it's already been agreed that no map would be able to do that without breaking the balance to an unfair extent.
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------
xFire:Cronkbot | Steam:Cronky

SheikTheGeek

Quote from: Cronky on March 30, 2012, 11:37:03 PM
Quote from: SheikTheGeek on March 30, 2012, 03:19:34 PM

While I could understand some of the times when people say this statement, I cannot follow why you would say it here. Assuming you're talking about the random/alternate placement of some Static Defenses on maps when you said this then what way does this necessitate a new game mode?

It would simply be building a map that has alternate placements of static defenses. You don't want to play "Story" mode with this kind of randomness? Then don't play this map. Again, the idea isn't meant to be a part of EVERY map, but those maps that are built with this type of feature in mind.

If you meant the original idea of Merc's placing the static defenses themselves, then it's already been agreed that no map would be able to do that without breaking the balance to an unfair extent.

Maybe not that exactly, but an optional game mode where the other side decides load outs for the other team or something to that effect? Not so much as handicapping a person/team, but adding a layer of strategy to a game by limiting what can and cant be used by the other team during a game in progress.  I see it as something that can be selected before a match begins and even during a game in progress, but only after death, but before respawn.  (So this would probably only work under Deathmatch type rules)  This would force teams favoring certain weapons or gadgets to change up their strategy and tactics on the fly, again not meant as any kind of handicap, just a different game mode of fun and strategy.  Also, since players would be allowed to change their selection for the other team after each death, this would prevent a team from completely dominating a match with their favorite tools of destruction.  Just an idea I had.

I can see the static defense moving around being a huge issue.
I actually enjoyed the multiplayer in Double Agent and Blacklist.  Why are you looking at me like that?

Scanty Chunk

Ya i think that, if this idea were to pass, it would be something to select in a submenu in the lobby. Similar to selecting how many lives a certain team has. It could be turned on or off.

Or maybe (just a shot in the dark idea) a selection of how many security traps there are. < that would be a handicap then.