Main Menu

Dishonored

Started by Spekkio, November 04, 2012, 08:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spekkio

Anyone pick up this game? The stealth-action pace is similar to the original Splinter Cell trilogy, except substitute an array of spells for Sam's high-tech gadgets.

The spells in the game give you a lot more freedom to maneuver throughout each mission, which gives the game a lot more replay value than SC. If you wanted to be stealthy in SC/PT/CT, you really were limited to only one route through the game. Plus, you aren't able to pick up every spell the first time through.

The only disappointing aspect I found with the game is that they muted Corvo rather than giving him a badass personality. I realize they did this to try to make the gamer immerse himself in the world, but it doesn't have that effect.

Discuss.

NeoSuperior

well Bethesda always got "mute" heroes if i recall correctly...
If there are any orthographic/grammatical errors in this post, you can keep them and, if you want, hang them over your bed ;)

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."
- Mike Godwin

frvge

I plan on picking up Dishonored later.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Spekkio

The blink ability picks up the pace of the game considerably, since you don't have to follow an NPC at their speed plus 1 or 2 to strangle them.

Cronky

I really liked the game. It had a nice atmosphere and a well executed story, for the most part. I always like stealth games, and especially ones that give you multiple options on HOW to finish the level (added bonus for exploration opening up even more paths, non-lethal options and abilities that open up even MORE paths).

The blink ability was a lot less clunky than I thought it was going to be. It was nice that it kinda helped you onto things so you didn't have to mess around with a, "Jump at the right moment, else fall to your doom" scenario. Or having to be so precise with your jumps that it outweighed it's use.

Second most use ability was the Possession one. All the little extra paths opened up from broken vents/sewer gates was a nice touch. I thought that the "Human Possession" upgrade was going to be more useful then it ended up being though.

Most all the rest of the abilities clashed with my play-style though and got little to no use.

Having such freedom to explore though lead to a few scenarios that had me finding something before I was logically supposed to, or just giving away the answer in general. The Masquerade party looked plenty puzzling from the trailer. It sounds like it would be too... if you don't run into the "non-lethal" option at the beginning and it gives away exactly who you need to target. Add on top of it that you can "Convince" the target to go almost exactly where you need her to go... which coincidentally has no one around to witness if you did anything (such as knocking them out).

It was still fun, and I know there are other ways to go about that mission, but it dropped the ball for me there. It was also not the only level that had that had that reaction of, "Okay... so that's it?"

The ending left me wanting more. Not the ending level, but just the ending cinematic. I'm not sure how much variation you get out of it if you played it differently, and I haven't bothered to check youtube for that answer, but it seemed pretty generic in general.

The Outsider seemed like he was going to be a bigger part of the story, or at least have a bigger backing than I noticed. It boiled down to, "I chose you because you are interesting... Here are some random powers. Oh... and a Heart that talks about the areas you're in."

The heart is another bit that, either I was using wrong, or had little use outside of finding artifacts. It's talking mostly just adding to backgrounds of areas instead of a kind of "mind reader" like I was expecting it to be.

In the end though it was an awesome game to play. It's not perfect, but it's one of those games that I want a sequel for because it set up so many good things. ...Sequel like Bioshock Infinite versus Bioshock. Not like Bioshock/Bioshock 2.

(Yay, I upgraded this to a wall of text! I feel better now)
If you haven't noticed, I'm REALLY good at making a simple response into a wall of text.
-----------------------
xFire:Cronkbot | Steam:Cronky

VaNilla

Ghosted the whole thing 100%, awesome game. Has issues such as an unsatisfying ending, but you'll love it regardless.

NeoSuperior

I ghosted the game too (after each chapter i had a check on "Ghost" and on "No one killed"), however it was not perfect, as sometimes "bodies found" were not 0.
If there are any orthographic/grammatical errors in this post, you can keep them and, if you want, hang them over your bed ;)

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."
- Mike Godwin