merc confusion gadget

Started by Gawain, February 05, 2008, 01:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AgentX_003

Quote from: Westfall-US on February 11, 2008, 06:10:29 AM
A holo pod doesn't seem that bad of an idea actually. It's quite smart and clever. It matched everything you wanted it to be/do in your checklist. It stalls mercs, and helps you to remain hidden from mercs. If you're so angry with the holo pod idea, then why not just be able to have a cam that projects a picture on the wall.

All you did was flame. Congrats for being that guy. Winner for least common sense award. Winner for cocky award.

Impractical. What happened to the whole "stay away from realism" and "this is based in the future" aspect.

Post some new shit if you're sick of it. Maybe a new merc confusion gadget if you're so sick of this one. I'm not stopping you. No need to act like a douche though.

I agree with west on this , you have no regard for others ideas you just have your head up your ass and never have taken the time to pause and think about what your saying before you say it..

quite frankly spekkio ,I"ll say this  there are times where your on point , but thinking your right all the time isnt healthy and it seems its all over for you now , cause your not Mr. Right =/ in this circumstance

-Thanks Murdy for da Sig <3  xD

Ion.67

He was expressing his opinion. He did take the time to think, because he posted on many of these pages.

It isn't a good idea, and people have tried to say that. The idea needs lots of work, implementation would be very hard, and there is no clear way on how to use it.

Farley4Fan

Quote from: Spekkio on February 11, 2008, 05:30:17 AM
Okay, seriously, this gadget is idiotic. If you think for a second that holograms are a good idea, you're a fucking moron. The fact that this has not only been discussed before on other threads, but also has now been given more than 4 pages of credence here makes me want to kill puppies. It's time to move on, and it's time to spend your time trying to think of something that actually could work to improve the game.

This public service announcement was brought to you by Spekkio, common sense, and the letter Q.

THIS JUST IN
Reports of Spekkio's opinions being facts have just surfaced.  Apparently, if you don't think like Spekkio, you are an idiot.  Back to you Papa.
In all seriousness, it's not a bad idea.  You just seem to think it's a bad idea.  That doesn't mean that it can't become something good.  Try suggesting things to make it better instead of going:  "ZOMG DIS IDEAS IZ STUPIDZ AND IF YOU DONT AGREE WIT ME YOU ARE A RETARD!!!1!1"  Come on now.

Ion, suggest things to make it better instead of bashing it ffs.  It could work.  We've stated many things that have explained why it would be a good idea.  Did you even read them?  Or did everytime did you skip what we said and say the same thing over again?  Ask me why it would be a good idea.  I'll answer.  Tell me it will be a bad idea.  I will counter it.  Don't just say the idea sucks, please.  You can't have a discussion like that.

MR.Mic

Quote from: Westfall-US on February 11, 2008, 06:10:29 AM
Impractical. What happened to the whole "stay away from realism" and "this is based in the future" aspect.

...In the context of gameplay, this gadget is impractical.
I couldn't see anyone using it after the game matures.
[size=2]Lead Visual Effects Artist - Advanced Materials, Particles, and Post-Process Effects
Website: http://studentpages.scad.edu/~ctripp20/index.htm][/size]

Farley4Fan

Why?  The hologram looks just like a real spy.  You'll never be able to tell it's fake by first glance, mr mic.  No matter how much people play the game.  It's not going to become novelty/useless/obvious.

MR.Mic

If you use it like a projector from your gun, you still need a line of sight to the area you are beaming it.
You give yourself away in like .02 seconds once the merc realizes he's looking at a decoy.

You know... because it doesn't immediately stand up, shock you, throw a flash bang, and roll into a vent like a real player.

Humans are really good at pattern recognition, and it wouldn't be hard to instantly trace the projection origin  based on the movement pattern.

I cant imagine anyone being able to control a projection with enough precision to not look incredibly goofy to any observer. Especially when dealing with high projection angles, where tiny movements are highly amplified in a single axis. You would almost have to be facing head on with the surface you wanted to project onto, and fairly close, too.
[size=2]Lead Visual Effects Artist - Advanced Materials, Particles, and Post-Process Effects

Westfall

As an observer, I think it would look awesome and just be one more thing that makes PS more diverse.

Spekkio

QuotePost some new shit if you're sick of it. Maybe a new merc confusion gadget if you're so sick of this one.
I have posted plenty of new stuff that I think would be beneficial to the game. I will not post a "new confusion gadget" when A) I think that the spies have enough confusion capability as it is and B) I can't think of a good one.

Westfall

Quote from: Spekkio on February 11, 2008, 08:24:40 AM
QuotePost some new shit if you're sick of it. Maybe a new merc confusion gadget if you're so sick of this one.
I have posted plenty of new stuff that I think would be beneficial to the game. I will not post a "new confusion gadget" when A) I think that the spies have enough confusion capability as it is and B) I can't think of a good one.

1 or 2 new gadgets would be beneficial to PS...especially if they are going with your 5 slot system.

Spekkio

New gadgets could be beneficial to the game; however, my point is that I am not going to clog the forum with idiotic ideas just for the sake of adding shit. If I think of something that would actually enhance the game experience, I will post it, as I have in the past.

MR.Mic

Quote from: Westfall-US on February 11, 2008, 08:23:21 AM
As an observer, I think it would look awesome and just be one more thing that makes PS more diverse.

What do you even mean?

I just logically explained why this gadget wouldn't fool anyone, but it should just go in anyway because it's a new gadget that looks "awesome" and somehow diversifies the game?

Westfall

Quote from: MR.Mic on February 11, 2008, 08:29:40 AM
Quote from: Westfall-US on February 11, 2008, 08:23:21 AM

What do you even mean?

I just logically explained why this gadget wouldn't fool anyone, but it should just go in anyway because it's a new gadget that looks "awesome" and somehow diversifies the game?

Notice how I said as an observer. In the game, I bet you it would fool you far more than 1 time if used well. I say no to the projection gun, and just the cam that shows the projection. Or....a holo pod. Kind of like the thing you would see in Star Wars from R2D2 when he transmitted messages. Yea, really unrealistic....but both appealing and tactical.

Quote from: Spekkio on February 11, 2008, 08:28:47 AM
New gadgets could be beneficial to the game; however, my point is that I am not going to clog the forum with idiotic ideas just for the sake of adding shit. If I think of something that would actually enhance the game experience, I will post it, as I have in the past.

The idea isn't idiotic, yet again. Thats all you've got on it. You think its not going to work, when it will....and against you at one point if implemented.

but...you guys are right, if it makes you feel good.

Cyntrox

Quote from: MR.Mic on February 11, 2008, 08:09:02 AMI cant imagine anyone being able to control a projection with enough precision to not look incredibly goofy to any observer. Especially when dealing with high projection angles, where tiny movements are highly amplified in a single axis. You would almost have to be facing head on with the surface you wanted to project onto, and fairly close, too.
Spy marks point A.

Projected image is spawned at point A.

Spy marks point B.

Projected image moves towards point B in a realistic speed.

Succubus Dryad Of The Undying Comet

Yeah, but the projected image MUST be within fov and range of the spy using it.
Also, the hologram should disappear around corners.

mentalmars

how many of you got set on the wrong path by a alarm snare?

i thing many ppl always look first when the indicator says that there's movement coming for a direction.
after a few seconds you discover that it's a alarm snare
1) you ignore the signal
2) you remove the snare

Looking at the hologram.
if you pick up a small glimes of a spy going somewhere you always try to engage him
or look where he is going to cut him of.
i think this is a good way to create a opritunitie

it does need a easy setup.
something like click point 'A' click point 'B' and it moves from  A to B

suggestions a way to set up your own way point (for A -> B -> C -> D)

a other suggestion is fixed waypoints at corners
if you let your hologram walk to the end of a room it wil automaticly walk around the corner.

Let a hologram fade out when ending animation, like a spy is using his camosuit