Main Menu

Ask-the-Devs

Started by frvge, February 21, 2008, 09:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xan

What areas of the game have been coded and whats on the immediate to-do list?

frvge

Good question.
I'll leave that to Lennard.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Succubus Dryad Of The Undying Comet

How much do the PS files weight right now, and how much do you plan it to be on the release version?

Tidenburg

AFAIK files actually weigh nothing! It's the incredible power of memory (Don't worry, it shocked me at first aswell)!
;D

LennardF1989

Quote from: Xan on March 29, 2008, 09:52:26 PM
Well, the milestones are quite up-to-date, but I guess I could tell just a little more ;)

Ofcourse, we have a base version of PS done. We managed to make PS run as a Total Conversion from it's own directory with it's own intro's, splash screen, and all the other fancy stuff. We even customized the Editor in a way we want to see it (added special EE volumes - see blog -, optimized StaticMeshActors, custom splash screen, etc.)
It can also load a menu and start an offline game, or join an online game (no, you can't join us :P).

After loading any map you wish, you can test the visions (which happens blazingly fast, next blog update will be about how the visions work). Besides that, you can choose wheter you want to be a spy or a merc and just run around and chat with eachother in case it's an online game.

As you can hear, we don't have any real gameplay yet. Though, we do have the code for most of the deployable gadgets and a pre-alpha security system.

The most important thing to get done is an inventory system, if I get it implemented (which I will
be doing in the next few days) we can start adding gadgets and weapons to the game. Besides that I'm reworking some stuff within the code. If all goes fine, MulleDK13 should be able to make any progress with the animation tree and the story mode. I don't make promises, but we might be able to do a semi-real PS game when this all is
done. ***

*** It won't be soon, adding each gadget is a lot of work!

Quote from: Liqu1D_133 on March 29, 2008, 11:26:16 PM
How much do the PS files weight right now, and how much do you plan it to be on the release version?
Currently it weights around 50-60 mb. And we aim for "as much as we need", we are not going to strip down the quality just to spare some Gigabytes/Megabytes.

I <3 U

Quote from: LennardF1989 on March 29, 2008, 11:37:19 PM
Quote from: Xan on March 29, 2008, 09:52:26 PM
Well, the milestones are quite up-to-date, but I guess I could tell just a little more ;)

Ofcourse, we have a base version of PS done. We managed to make PS run as a Total Conversion from it's own directory with it's own intro's, splash screen, and all the other fancy stuff. We even customized the Editor in a way we want to see it (added special EE volumes - see blog -, optimized StaticMeshActors, custom splash screen, etc.)
It can also load a menu and start an offline game, or join an online game (no, you can't join us :P).

After loading any map you wish, you can test the visions (which happens blazingly fast, next blog update will be about how the visions work). Besides that, you can choose wheter you want to be a spy or a merc and just run around and chat with eachother in case it's an online game.

As you can hear, we don't have any real gameplay yet. Though, we do have the code for most of the deployable gadgets and a pre-alpha security system.

The most important thing to get done is an inventory system, if I get it implemented (which I will
be doing in the next few days) we can start adding gadgets and weapons to the game. Besides that I'm reworking some stuff within the code. If all goes fine, MulleDK13 should be able to make any progress with the animation tree and the story mode. I don't make promises, but we might be able to do a semi-real PS game when this all is
done. ***

*** It won't be soon, adding each gadget is a lot of work!

Quote from: Liqu1D_133 on March 29, 2008, 11:26:16 PM
Currently it weights around 50-60 mb. And we aim for "as much as we need", we are not going to strip down the quality just to spare some Gigabytes/Megabytes.

Ive heard nothing about this blog, linkage please:P From the sounds of this (sounds promising) we should be expecting some screens soon :P.

I <3 U

How far into the actual animations are you, as i here this is one of the biggest jobs relating to ps?

Roughly how many out of the full amount of animations have you completed (eg. 2/10)?

Overstatement

Quote from: LennardF1989 on March 29, 2008, 11:37:19 PM

Yeah, we're freeloading off the server so we're going to aim for huge files! And you forgot to mention the HUDs for merc and spy is mostly coded and same with the art for it.

Tidenburg

^
Yeas, I've heard its lush but we still know nothing 'bout what it looks like! Next Tack Tock thread!

Xan

Just a couple of additional questions:

1)  Are the merc and spy fully differentiated, so different hitpoints, speeds, etc?

2)  You mention EE and refer to the blog, but i can't find any actual information there.
            Are there now climbable objects?

3)  To what extent are the spy and merc movements complete (ignoring animation if
            they're missing,) are charge and roll implemented? Can spies mantle objects?

4)  How many gadgets have been finished (from a coding perspective), how many are
            underway? And how many do you intend to finish before your first release?

5)  What do to foresee will be the biggest problem to overcome?

You've made great progress and should be commended for it!

Well done!

frvge

We're not that far yet. So there's not really an answer to those questions.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

Xan

Quote from: frvge on March 30, 2008, 12:59:24 AM
We're not that far yet. So there's not really an answer to those questions.

Surely the answer would be "No" to most of them in that case, and the last one isn't dependant on progress...

frvge

Biggest problem: animations. And more people who know how to use UE3 in a qualitative way.

Xan

You've got 3 level designers, how many would you like to have ideally?

How many maps do you want to have before release?

T2C LeBron

Will PS roxor? and not teh suxzor  ???

Will stealth be stressed more then SCCT or SCPT?  will you get rid of noise when you crouch so people with teh 1337 comp or teh loud headphones r@pe you.