The game's engine

Started by Aj, November 12, 2006, 10:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElShotte

From what I can tell, Ogre can reproduce Unreal Engine 3 quality with decent shaders, it can be done, on top of that, it's free. The main thing is, do we want to start from scratch with the engine or do we want to modify one (UT2K7), which would be alot easier seeing as how most shaders would be done, we would have some kind of gameplay mechanics to start with and UnrealED.

goodkebab

The least amount of work involved is more important then the engine we use. 

We have certain requirements:

Pixel Shaders
Dynamic Lighting (sm 3.o stuff)
Free
No peripheral stuff.  ie:  This game needs to be indipendantly distributed from other games. 
We dont want people having to install Chaos Theory or Unreal Tournament just so they can play our game.

Meathead

Well I been working with the Source engine for a while now i say it is a great engine but yes way to many mods are using it and yes lighing for it is not very good. I would rather stick with Unreal Engine for lighting effects and shadows another thing is It would be easier for coding in the Source engine as for i know how to add models and prefabs in to it allready from maya and 3d max. but still i say yall should stick with the UnrealEd Engine for it shall be better in the long run. As i am hearing that SPDA is releasing the new Unreal havoc engine in a few months. Go with the Flow! lol WOOT!

Over and Out!!

Meathead

M4_007

So basically, People with SM2.0 still don't get to play it..

ElShotte

No, it's going to most likely be like Chaos Theory, with support for both.

Sydonia

Thought I would compose a list of noteworthy free C/C++ libraries. Add to the list if you wish but please use the same formatting.

General purpose
Allegro
kjAPI
Simple DirectMedia Layer (SDL)

Graphics
Ogre 3D
Irrlicht

Audio
FMOD
OpenAL

Networking
Enet

I really like kjAPI so far. Do check it out.

frvge

I've tried some things with Allegro a few years ago  ;D
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

MulleDK19

3DState (for Visual Basic - Not so good graphics though :/)

If my heart ever heals, I will make sure it'll never break again.

goodkebab

great...we are still in need of a programmer...otherwise we wont get anywhere with this.

The-Chicken6

is there stil no1 for the programming then? i would i could help u but i cant do al that shit :) i know jsut a thiny thing of photoshop and al other over here know much better ;) so al i can do is testing

MacBryce

There's no lead programmer yet. We've got some programmers already but we're still looking for more xp.

M4_007

I've had this site's URL forwarded to Ubisoft Annecy's development team. Let's not exclude possible help from the inside. Some might be able to help on their free times, sharing some knowledge and experience making SvM.

goodkebab

Word up....

I just spoke with a producer from JoWood...a big games publisher in europe.  He had some experiences on a project using Ogre and said it was not very flexible....and from his comments I would avoid it. 

BUT, i was recommended another engine: http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/

From the him, and another game devoloper I heard very positive things about it.  1. its small, 2. its very fast, 3. its open source, 4.  you can communicate with the developer himself.

I was even told that Adobe wanted to buy the software and use it for their own needs....but then later changed their mind.

Vega

goodkebab

btw:  He recommended Torque, mostly because it is already integrated with Micorsoft.

Still....i am not the programmer...so its hard for me to judge.

In fact, i know the guys at Rabcat that worked with him to make this vid:http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/images/projects/rabcat/rabcatengine.wmv