The game's engine

Started by Aj, November 12, 2006, 10:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vega

"Hey guys....we don't like this mod youre making, how about we buy out for $5 million?  That sound good?"

MR.Mic

Quote from: Vega on November 17, 2006, 06:13:04 PM
"Hey guys....we don't like this mod youre making, how about we buy out for $5 million?  That sound good?"

Oh man, that would totally suck!
[size=2]Lead Visual Effects Artist - Advanced Materials, Particles, and Post-Process Effects
Website: http://studentpages.scad.edu/~ctripp20/index.htm][/size]

frvge

Yeah... I think I'd settle for 1.5 times the amount they offer :D
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

M4_007

Yay, that means a quick ass computer for each one of us.

The-Chicken6

sounds good;) maybe when we are done and its a goodgame we can go to ubi and aks them if thay want to buy it  ;D ;)

frvge

Meh. Steam distribution will give us more money I think.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

MacBryce

Steam would be awesome.

I would also like to add that we shouldn't be too worried about the latest shaders like some guys do. It has to have good shadows yes, but even if it was cell-shaded and cartoonesque it would be awesome.

Quote from: M4_007 on November 17, 2006, 08:50:09 PM

Yay, that means a quick ass computer for each one of us.

Or approximately half a million bucks each for the pre-production team.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
(Make that $1m and I'm in.)

Overstatement

Quote from: goodkebab on November 17, 2006, 12:35:23 AM
I just spoke with a producer from JoWood...a big games publisher in europe.  He had some experiences on a project using Ogre and said it was not very flexible....and from his comments I would avoid it. 

Did you get some examples of the inflexibity of the engine? What did they try to do?

psyichic

Are we really considering turning this into a product? Or are we resolutely saying that this WILL be open-sourced?

MR.Mic

Quote from: psyichic on November 18, 2006, 06:47:29 PM
Are we really considering turning this into a product? Or are we resolutely saying that this WILL be open-sourced?
We're considering one, the other, and both at the same time.
[size=2]Lead Visual Effects Artist - Advanced Materials, Particles, and Post-Process Effects
Website: http://studentpages.scad.edu/~ctripp20/index.htm][/size]

Vega

I don't see how it's going to be realistically possible to make it a product.

ElShotte

Realistically possible? Pff... more than likely dude. Create a demo on an open-sourced engine, send to publishers, wait. If the quality is mindblowing on par to Doom 3 and Source, past SvM in gameplay and graphics, then I will bet my left arm that EA would most likely be our publisher because Ubi is a worthy competitor and what we would have is a pretty good killler. Not only we would get something for our time to finish the product, but also we would get some percentage from sales. :D

Overstatement

Quote from: ElShotte on November 18, 2006, 08:28:48 PM
Realistically possible? Pff... more than likely dude. Create a demo on an open-sourced engine, send to publishers, wait. If the quality is mindblowing on par to Doom 3 and Source, past SvM in gameplay and graphics, then I will bet my left arm that EA would most likely be our publisher because Ubi is a worthy competitor and what we would have is a pretty good killler. Not only we would get something for our time to finish the product, but also we would get some percentage from sales. :D
Your left arm, eh? I could use a third arm code faster .... you're on. Quick! lets do it and see how EA will react to a tech demo done on an open-source engine

ElShotte

I believe they would give us all bonuses seriously, seeing as how alot of games done on commercial engines (Such as Unreal Engine 3) get signed and the publisher ends up paying $500K (I believe) for the bloody engine itself not to mention the development costs.