Feature discussion

Started by frvge, May 16, 2013, 11:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frvge

Hi all,

We're moving on diverting a bit more from the original visions and gadgets, while still keeping the same core gameplay. I'd like to present you with a feature we're thinking of implementing: Sound Vision for Mercs.

Basically, it will pick up sound waves. The strength of these waves fade over a certain distance.
This will give the environment more opportunities to affect gameplay scenarios.

Examples: a loud humming machine that can be triggered; rain in Asylum; another Merc shooting at another Spy.

It's currently unsure if waves can go through walls, and if they get weakened or not. The already known Sound Detector will still exist, but might be temporarily disabled when the Sound Wave vision is used.

We'd like your feedback on this :) Thanks!
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

SheikTheGeek

Quote from: frvge on May 16, 2013, 11:37:00 PM
Hi all,

We're moving on diverting a bit more from the original visions and gadgets, while still keeping the same core gameplay. I'd like to present you with a feature we're thinking of implementing: Sound Vision for Mercs.

Basically, it will pick up sound waves. The strength of these waves fade over a certain distance.
This will give the environment more opportunities to affect gameplay scenarios.

Examples: a loud humming machine that can be triggered; rain in Asylum; another Merc shooting at another Spy.

It's currently unsure if waves can go through walls, and if they get weakened or not. The already known Sound Detector will still exist, but might be temporarily disabled when the Sound Wave vision is used.

We'd like your feedback on this :) Thanks!

I think its a cool idea, would this just be an audio effect or a visual effect as well?  I believe the Splinter Cell titles also have interactive objects in the environment that could be used just to make noise for a distraction or muffle the sound of someone sneaking by?  If its done correctly, it could be great.  But, I do see issues on maps where it is raining, wouldn't it just constantly be going off and be useless?  Or as you mentioned gunshots, wouldn't you be able to hear them anyway?  So how would this device really help in that situation?  I think there would need to be a strict list of stuff in the game that it would and would not pick up, or give it some extra parameters like maybe even a quick waypoint arrow to tell you the general area where the sound is coming from?
I actually enjoyed the multiplayer in Double Agent and Blacklist.  Why are you looking at me like that?

VaNilla

I'm not sure how this translates into something very useful for the player.

Spark Mandriller

Sounds pretty redundant if the sound detector is still in.
Might be cool if you replaced the sound detector with a vision though. Having to choose between picking up sound or picking up motion/EMF could be interesting. Maybe.

RaDRoacH

Hmm, I really would like to see it in game, but it's just an idea.
Sorry if my english is not perfect.

Pusianka

I am kind of dumb, because I don't understand the concept completely... Explain to me exactly the situation where you use it and what it affects (best put it into SCCT versus reality). Thx
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHa_jqxnn4o

"- It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.
- Hit it."

Scanty Chunk

Wow! I think that this sound vision is a great feature! I think blue would be a nice color  :D . If it doesn't conflict with the electromagnetic vision.

frvge

The idea is that all sounds create a moving "bubble" of varying sizes, moving speeds and fading distance. This represents the sounds.
When you run, you produce bigger sound waves because of the higher volume. The Merc's vision will make these sound waves visible.

Think about rain negatively affecting this vision mode, but also being able to see a tiny bit "around corners". Heck, we can maybe even introduce some Doppler effect so you can get an indication of the path of the Spy if you happen to catch the direction of two consequetive "waves".

This is currently just an idea to put a bit more distance between Project Stealth and the other stealth-action-multiplayer series, while keeping true to the roots.
Quote from: savior2006SCDA has more bugs than a rain forest.
Treat your customers with respect you make more customers. Treat your customers like pirates, you make more pirates.

NeoSuperior

Quote from: frvge on May 26, 2013, 12:28:53 AMThis is currently just an idea to put a bit more distance between Project Stealth and the other stealth-action-multiplayer series, while keeping true to the roots.

I see what you did there!
If there are any orthographic/grammatical errors in this post, you can keep them and, if you want, hang them over your bed ;)

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."
- Mike Godwin